Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 16:48   #256

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Boats with Shallow Draft for Florida, Bahamas, Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I tried to buy the boat in NC three years ago for the price the owners now want for the boat. It had a very spacious interior with nice wood trim. Munroe grew up in the New York, Staten Island and Fire Island area and earned a love of the sea at a very early age. It was on Fire Island that he saw and sailed his first sharpie sailboat, a type which would figure so important later in his life. Munroe and Herreshoff had been friends earlier in their lives when Munroe still lived in the north and renewed their earlier friendship upon a visit by Herreshoff and his wife to Munroe's Coconut Grove home in 1920. The Herreshoffs were installed in a little cottage on the grounds for that visit and for the rest of Herreshoff's life he spent his winters there, a guest of Munroe and his family. The semi-autobiography, "The Commodore's Story", by Munroe and others, illuminates this fascinating relationship of two men and their love for sailing vessels.
I think the boat in SC is sold. I couldn't find the listing on Yachtworld. I can't wait to read The Commodore's Story. I had no idea that Hereshoff & Monroe were close friends. Here's a couple of pics of the Presto in SC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1091525_0_20100921090837_2_0.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	151420   Click image for larger version

Name:	1091525_0_20100921090837_6_0.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	151421  

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 17:03   #257

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think the boat in SC is sold. I couldn't find the listing on Yachtworld. I can't wait to read The Commodore's Story. I had no idea that Hereshoff & Monroe were close friends. Here's a couple of pics of the Presto in SC.
That's her. Her hull and cockpit are identical to my vessel. Munroe used the flush deck to increase interior room on several of his craft, the first being his yacht "Melody" built in 1906. I also talked at some length with a old Swiss gentleman in Miami who had a Presto 36 for sale. By the time I discovered the listing he had already shown it to several prospective buyers including the one who eventually purchased the boat.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:17   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
That's her. Her hull and cockpit are identical to my vessel. Munroe used the flush deck to increase interior room on several of his craft, the first being his yacht "Melody" built in 1906. I also talked at some length with a old Swiss gentleman in Miami who had a Presto 36 for sale. By the time I discovered the listing he had already shown it to several prospective buyers including the one who eventually purchased the boat.
Flush deck or raised deck? In my mind a flush deck is the same height for the full length of the boat where as a raised deck typically means the cabin sides are extended all the way to the topsides. Our Scout 30 is typically referred to as a raised deck motorcruiser, a common design in the 20's. Here's a link to a completely redone Scout 30 currently for sale on Yachtworld in which they enclosed the pilot house & actually removed the full width lazarette replacing it with a rear cockpit with a transom door...Man did they throw some money at this boat!
1980 Scout 30 Hardtop Cruiser- Complete Custom Rebuild Power Boat For Sale
Old 07-07-2017, 22:37   #259

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We're in Hudson Beach. Where are you located? If I were you I'd keep the draft under 4'. If you're north of Tarpon Springs and not familiar with the waters you'll be amazed at how shallow it is up here. Personally, I wouldn't own a boat with more than a 3' draft in this area. That limits your options but there are actually quite a few extreme shoal draft boats out there. Here's a few examples of boats with 3' or less draft:
Glander Tavana 33
Island Packet 31
Lazy Jack Schooner 34
Seaward 32
Southerly 42
Presto 30
Shannon Shoalsailer 35
Nimble 30

Thank so much!! We are in Gulf Harbors. Maybe we can meet over Labor Day and I'll buy you a cocktail!

Are you a fan of centerboards? The extra mechanics and, thereby, failure potential is a big fear of mine.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 00:47   #260

Boat: Presto 36

Scout 30: Munroe called his widened cabin top a flush deck although I realize this is not the accepted modern terminology. He typically only included the deck forward of the cockpit in his description of his deck. The South 30 featured in Yacht World is gorgeous! It's interior is exactly what I aspire to for my boat. Definitely my kind of motor yacht. I love the older designs. PS I have been a loyal subscriber to Wooden Boat Magazine since the 1980's.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:11   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Clearly the market on the Eastern Seaboard is dominated with US manufactured yachts. However, there are a number of European yachts that have made their way over to the US that would be very suitable. Here is one example in the UK, currently on ebay with a Buy it Now price of £11500. so I will only use the photo and link to a separate website with the details.

Westerly Pentland, 32ft long with a draft of 3'7".

Westerly Pentland archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

All about the bilge keels !

Name:	IMG_3883.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	151434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3882.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	151435
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
Thank so much!! We are in Gulf Harbors. Maybe we can meet over Labor Day and I'll buy you a cocktail!

Are you a fan of centerboards? The extra mechanics and, thereby, failure potential is a big fear of mine.
Sounds great. Regarding shoal draft & centerboards they pretty much go hand in hand. They can be a problem if not maintained but for the most part if you take care of them they'll take care of you. In my experience dealing with a centerboard is a lot better than dealing with running aground. Being in Gulf Harbors it's really a good idea to keep your draft at less than 4' & the closer you get to 3' the happier you'll be. Of course the smaller the boat is that you are looking for the easier it is to find but at 30' and up the choices narrow. Not sure what price point you are at but here's a centerboard version Island Packet 31 for sale right now at a competitive price. One of my favorite extreme shoal draft designs. Good quality boat and it's full keel so it should sail pretty well with the board all the way up. The chain plates are the only issue I know of with these boats.
1988 Island Packet 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 10-10-2017, 09:07   #263
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aloha 32

32.5' Ouyang Boat Works Aloha 32

Steady's Notes

Draft = 4'9"

This boat was listed before, but I see another new posting (October 2017) of the ad with an Asking Price of $25,000 with "Make me an offer."

The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition.

The seller is selling it with all of the cruising gear aboard. This is an extensive list, and includes RADAR, Windlass, Autopilot, SOLAR panel, Inverter, Honda Generator, arch, 8 foot dinghy with sail kit, SSB Transciever, dishes, tools, etc.

The Universal Diesel engine is relatively new (2014) with new transmission too (2017). (See ad for verification)

I like what I see in the photos. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.

This boat design has a bolt-on keel. The owner said in response to a question that the keel is "lead, bolted to lead."

Asking Price = $25,000 or Make An Offer

The ad says the boat is on the ICW and moving. It also says the boat is on the hard in a Charleston marina. So, it is not clear where the boat is now. Contact the seller.

Specifications from Sale Ad Listing

Aloha 32, designed by Mark Ellis, Hull No. 41, built by Ouyang Boat Works, Whitney Ontario, 1984, USCG Document No. 689807
Displacement: 9,800 lbs, Ballast: 4,000 lbs
Length: 32’ 5”, Beam: 10’10”, Draft: 4’ 9”, Height: 46’, Hull speed: 6.7 knots
Sloop, Keel stepped mast, Extended fin bolted keel, Wheel steering, Ritch Compass, 3 halyards, topping lift, reefing and outhaul internal and lead to
Cockpit
Sails: Main sail: 213 sq ft, Genoa 464 sq ft bent on, spinnaker, serviceable main, storm jib stowed forward, Harken headsail roller furler
Engine: Universal diesel M25XPB (2014), Transmission: ZF15MIV (2017)
Fuel tank: 24 gal, Fuel tank: 19 gal, Water tanks: 72 gal, Holding tank: 36 gal

Link to Ad with contact info for owner. FSBO
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/64883

Photos and Illustrations in This Post

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat. There are more photos of this boat via the link above.

I have added a line drawing of the profile of this boat design, and a cutaway illustration.

My Disclaimers and Requests:

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6121.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	157457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	157458  

Name:	IMG_3318.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	157459  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:44   #264

MACGREGOR 26X 2002, for sale, asking $17.500. Boat is on duel axle trailer with electronic brakes and fixed ladder. Boat is only been sailed in fresh water lakes. Comes with 4 yr old Merc Big Foot with 27 hours. Many, many upgrades from stock boat! Good to Very good condition inside and out.

All lines lead aft, roller furler, 150% Genoa, two batteries, battery maintainer, Magma grill, enclosed head with porta potty and much more!

Can be seen at Eddy Creek Marina, Eddyville, KY. If interested you may contact me at 931-645-5251. Selling for health reasons.

4'9" draft with dagger board lowered and 18" with it raised. Great for 2-4 cruisers.

Boat can be seen at Eddy Creek Marina, Eddyville, Ky or by contacting me (Allan Henson) at 931-645-5251.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2871(1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	157529   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2908.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	157530  

Name:	100_4020(1).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	157531   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4019.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	157532  

Name:	100_4022(1).jpg
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	157533   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3207(1).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	157534  

KYLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 09:00   #265

I read about this boat back when it was built by Covey Island Boatworks, a really high quality builder in Canada. Really outside the box design by well regarded Spencer Lincoln but a great live aboard for Florida & the Bahamas. Installing Volvo IOs was a dumb move in my opinion but that could be fixed by changing to outboards or maybe Betas with saildrives. Sounds like she needs a lot of work but this would really be something after she's done.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...400010902.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00d0d_d6T77Ytswny_600x450.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	160955   Click image for larger version

Name:	01717_gNTk2MmLM53_600x450.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	160956  

Old 24-12-2017, 10:18   #266

Boat: Leopard 39

SteadyHand,

It was really kind of you to go to the trouble of organizing this thread. I hope some sales, and happy new boaters result.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:10   #267

Boat: Corsair F-31 #001

Seeing as OP SteadyHand has repeatedly mentioned "multis not excluded", I'll weigh in with what we have finally settled on, having sailed one, two, and soon three hulls in the Abacos: a Farrier tri, in our case a 1995 Corsair-built F-31. Specs and pics scanned from an original 1996 brochure *should be* attached as jpg (newbie poster here). ~16 inch draft with the blades up.

Upwind performance is fantastic: 50knots hull speed at zero degrees AWA (on the trailer.;-)

But seriously, the charter-ish "fat cats" just didn't perform as we had thought they might, so super-light (and super-$$$, say Gunboat or custom) to get decent performance upwind with comfort, we felt. And no self-launch. We sail thin water at home in Canada as well, and enjoy gunkholing, so there are very few monos that meet our specific requirements of good (great!) sailing performance, beachable, trailerable, yet still able to cross deep-blue water without too much stress.

We had to wait to find an F-boat just big enough at a decent purchase price, but they are out there. "X" versions are extended-width, 9'6" folded, but still trailerable with a permit. If self-launch and tow are out of your decision-equation, or you are ok with wider tack-angles, there are *lots* more multis that might fit. If you have never sailed on an F-boat, I must say, it changes one's view of what is possible in a single well-designed package.

Here are two recent F-31s, prices aren't crazy:

1995 corsair F-31 sailboat for sale in Massachusetts June 2017, US$85k
1998 Corsair F31 sailboat for sale in Florida Dec 2017, US$75k

But you can spend anywhere from ~$25K to a quarter-million or more on a carbon F-boat rocket-ship:
farrier Boats For Sale

And if you have a big budget and want a new boat, they are available from:
MULTIHULLS DIRECT - Home (no affiliation)
and Ian Farrier's (rest his recently-departed soul) favourite, the F-22:
Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc. (again, no affiliation)

I realise this is in a mono-forum, but virtually every multi-sailor grew up sailing just one, and we are not exceptions. But there are good reasons F-boats have developed such a loyal following. If you have never sailed on a high-performance cruising multihull and can live with the reduced accommodation afforded by skinny hulls, I heartily encourage thin-water sailors to consider training wheels. Perhaps not for everyone, but most of where I itch is well-scratched by the F-31.

We'll be in the Bahamas this Feb/March, in case there are any cruisers out there who would like to, yes, "tri" a a ride. email j_b_bacque_at_gmail_dot_com. Seriously, we'd be happy to take some folks for a sail...

best regards,
ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f31beached0002.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	161108  
jbbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 13:11   #268
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
SteadyHand,

It was really kind of you to go to the trouble of organizing this thread. I hope some sales, and happy new boaters result.
Thanks for the kind words!

But as with sailing, it is a joint effort that works because we are all contributing. So the credit really goes to everyone who participates and contributes something, as you do too.

I have been very busy working on some other things for the last few months, so not as frequently on CF, but will partcipate more in 2018. I miss you guys and gals and learn something new from you all each time I come here.

Happy New Year to Everyone!
Old 05-01-2018, 13:29   #269
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 30

Year = 1980

Steady's Notes

1. The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition. As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.

2. I like what I see in the photos. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.

3. I like what I see in the list of things done in recent years to update this boat. I suggest you look at the ad for more details on this. Several important things were done that add value to an older boat. . Here is an excerpt:
"The current owners had the hull-deck joint completely resealed in 2016 by marine professionals. A new Lavac head was installed in 2014. A new Doyle / Ed Botterell designed sail was purchased in 2014. All acrylic windows were replaced in 2015. A new Isotherm holding plate refrigeration system was installed in 2016. Two new thru hulls were installed in 2016. New sail cover, hatch cover, and handrail covers were added in 2016. The bottom is cleaned monthly and bottom paint is in good condition. The Yanmar 3GM30F, installed in 2000, is an upgrade from the original saildrive system and has less than 500 hours."

4. From all accounts I have read from owners, this type of boat is relatively roomy for its length (appears more spacious below) and also relatively easy to sail, due to the rig. This means it could be a preferable boat for someone who is just starting out as a sailor, or for someone who would like an easier boat to sail due to age, physical condition, etc.

5. This boat has 5' draft, something that many prefer for Florida and Bahamas cruising.

Asking Price = $26,900

Location = Florida

See the ad for recent updates to gear on this boat. Several good things were done that add value in my opinion.

1980 Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 30 sailboat for sale in Florida

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8482.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	161618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8483.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	161619  

Old 05-01-2018, 13:32   #270
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Willard 35

Steady's Notes

1. The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition. As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.
2. I like what I see in the photos. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.
3. This boat has a bowsprit, so while listed as a 35' boat, the waterline is only 27 feet and the LOA is 30 feet.
4. Has a rather dark wood finish in the interior.
5. Full keel.

Asking Price = $30,000

Location = Florida

SPECIFICATIONS:
LOA: 35’2”
LOD: 30’ LWL: 27’6”
Draft: 4’8”
Beam: 10’6” Construction: fiberglass
Headroom: 6’4”
Ballast: 6,500# in keel Displacement: 17,000#
Engine: 50hp Perkins 4-108, 7knots @1200 rpm
1900 hrs. since rebuild in ’12, 4 bladed prop.
Tanks; fuel: 39 gal, water: 90 gal. holding: 5 gal
Electrical: 12v, 110v, 5kw Westerbeke gen
Spars: Aluminum Mast: 45’ Rig: stainless steel
Builder: Willard Boat Works, Calif.
Designer: W.I.B. Crealock

1976 Willard 8 ton Cutter Reduced sailboat for sale in Florida

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8480.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	161620  

Tags
Bahamas, Blue Water boats, centerboard, Chesapeake, draft, florida, florida keys, shallow draft, swing keel