Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Boats that Never Get Used ... I Don't Understand

In my marina, there are so many boats. About 650 slips. around 50 liveaboards. About 500-550 slips full according to the guy who works there.

I see so many beautiful boats that just sit. Covered with dirt and crap. I just don't understand why you would get a boat, keep a boat and never use it. I can see boats that look like they have not been used in years. Why would you continue to keep owning the boat? Then when they do go to sell it, they price it at an unrealistic price that they could not get a buyer to pay. They leave crap all over the inside of the boat and take horrible photos or none at all.

I can't stand seeing all of the beautiful boats go so unloved.

It just makes no sense.

/rant off
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44   #2

Re: Boats that never get used...I don't understand

That's probably one of those questions that'll only get answered when we get to Heaven!
Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48   #3

Boat: searching...

Back home on the lakes of Switzerland slips are very rare - waiting lists for several years. Most of them are hold by the local authorities (there are some privat marinas as well).

More and more public owned Marinas are now tracking how often boats get out and if they are maintained. If they think the boat is not used the owner gets a warning, that he either should use the boat or he may loose the slip for someone who loves to sail.

Since cheaper government slips are so rare I like this approach - In my old marina a few boats got kicked out to make space for more active sailors. On the other hand, some older slip holders with unused boats looked for folks who wanted to sail - even for free. Since the boats is now used they can keep the slip (and the boat) for some sailing once or twice a year.

I like this approach when slips are rare - and you may see less and less "rotten boats" as well
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Mr. Cole, perhaps, can provide the best answer.
Nat King Cole Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - YouTube
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:57   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post

I just don't understand why you would get a boat, keep a boat and never use it.

/rant off

Answer - they get used as much or as often as the owner wants to use them. Some folks buy a boat intending only one vacation each year on it and then plans change, things come up, etc... Are we trying to apply some personal judgment of how or why anyone else owns a boat?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Boats like anything else get bought with dreams. The reality is that most people are working so much they didn't resalize how little free time they really had.
When I had a real job, I bought an ultra light airplane and taught myself to fly. I ran to the airport as often as I could. I was in love with flying. Turns out that I actually logged in less than 10 hours/month. So that told me that 10 hours/month was all the spare time I had. Hard to believe, but true.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Are we trying to apply some personal judgment of how or why anyone else owns a boat?
It is unfortunate that slips and even moorings are so hard to come by in some areas though where there might be people who would use them frequently.

We're actually looking at getting a boat we could keep on a mooring for weekend sails, but there's a 10-12 year waiting period. We'll be cruising by the time we get a spot.

Unfortunately, if someone has the money, they can keep their boat there as long as they keep paying the bills.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:08   #8

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Folks wanna leave their boat in the slip, or stay indoors all day in front of a screen, more room in the world for me.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49   #9

It's really quite easy to understand...

We all have different issues in our lives that others have no clue about...

See, it's not that hard to understand..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16   #10

When thinking about boating and having a boat, you think mostly about all the fun stuff. Keeping it clean, putting everything away and washing it up and maintaining it bursts the bubble of "all good times". Some people are not prepared for that, some grow ill and old, but keep thinking they'll get well enough to get 'er going again...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
Folks wanna leave their boat in the slip, or stay indoors all day in front of a screen, more room in the world for me.
Don't know about yous guys but the marina(s) parking lot(s) was full this last weekend. But yeah! That's a rare occasion.

If the locals would only provide more space on the hard that was half or less then the cost of a marina, the marinas would not be so full of vagrants.

I've kept mine on the hard for the past 10 years since the sailing season here (for me) is so short. Plus I've been restoring the old gal in the process. So that was an advantage too. The boats about done and things are changing and so about to move back to a floating marina.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37   #12

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I have an airplane that has been in a hanger nearly 10 years now. I didn't know it had been that long until a few weeks ago when I went to look at the papers. During that time, I didn't have the time or money to bother with it.

I had thought about selling it, thought about fixing it, but at every given moment in time the best (and cheapest) course of action always seemed to be to "put it off for another day". This goes on today.

I feel bad that I have occupied a hangar that someone else might have wanted (though I don't think so, the recession has been hard). I don't want to sell it at a loss, yet I also secretly realize that I will never be in a position to care for this plane properly.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52   #13

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
In my marina, there are so many boats. About 650 slips. around 50 liveaboards. About 500-550 slips full according to the guy who works there.

I see so many beautiful boats that just sit. Covered with dirt and crap. I just don't understand why you would get a boat, keep a boat and never use it. I can see boats that look like they have not been used in years. Why would you continue to keep owning the boat? Then when they do go to sell it, they price it at an unrealistic price that they could not get a buyer to pay. They leave crap all over the inside of the boat and take horrible photos or none at all.

I can't stand seeing all of the beautiful boats go so unloved.

It just makes no sense.

/rant off
Maybe there is something you can do about it. Try talking to a few owners and see what kind of feedback you get. Maybe some of these guys just need a bit of help with something - like getting those old boats sold, or finding a more suitable storage. Maybe you will discover some that are simply abandoned with no legal living owners.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41   #14

Consider that the boats may be used when you aren't standing around watching and being judgmental. Our boat sits all summer and we take her south for six months every winter. WE leave jsut about the time most boats are being hauled for the season. So she probably looks like she's not being used to you.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18   #15

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Maybe there is something you can do about it. Try talking to a few owners and see what kind of feedback you get. Maybe some of these guys just need a bit of help with something - like getting those old boats sold, or finding a more suitable storage. Maybe you will discover some that are simply abandoned with no legal living owners.
Actually, that's a great idea and one that I have started to implement. When I was looking for my boat, there was a guy. He was selling a morgan. He wanted to get a different boat. One easier to singlehand for him. He was older and not in the best shape. He told me that he only sails now when his son is in town. To much boat for him. After I purchased my boat (2 or 3 weeks later) I called him to tell him that I had purchased another boat. I also gave him feedback as a buyer who was a real buyer that actually purchased. The feedback was given for his boat as compared to other boats that were for sale and things that made me pick another boat instead of his. He appreciated that and after discussion, we decided that when he wanted to go out sailing, give me a call. If I don't have anything going on, I'll go out and be crew. I have actually given that offer to a few other people and think it's a great way to meet people and get out on the water. I could go out alone (as I do very often (probably 3-4 times a week) late at night since this crazy heat has been here!

I'm a pretty young guy in good shape. Anytime I see someone at the marina carrying something that looks to be to much or working on something that looks to be to much, I introduce myself and offer to help out. It has been a great way to learn things I don't know and get to know other sailors.