Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 17:41   #46

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Boats that Never Get Used ... I Don't Understand

Quote:
I bought my boat from a gentleman in his 80's who was not able to sail as much as he liked. According to the broker they took the boat out once or twice a year. But he liked going down to the boat in its slip, spending time aboard, inviting his friends, etc.

What's wrong with that? If I get to be 85 (God willing) I may be doing the same thing if I can afford it.
There are lots of folks like that, and even quite a few who are still out there going places at 85 and up. I know quite a few folks who are pretty active boaters if you consider time spent onboard, even though they don't take the boats out much. It's a lot cheaper than maintaining a waterfront cottage some place and then chartering a couple of times per year, so for them it makes a ton of sense. There are also lots of dreamers who never get much beyond the acquisition stage, but they still have the dream. Think of it this way too--it is probably much more profitable for a marina to store these boats as long as the owner pays the bills, because the owners aren't using much in the way of marina services.
Old 09-12-2012, 17:44   #47

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I had one neighbor on one side of me who was afraid to try to start his engine, and had never sailed in his life. On the other side, a slightly shell shocked vet in a little Hunter who uses his mast, in the horizontal position, to support a tarp like a giant boom tent, and who totally ripped out his galley and installed a massive big screen and stereo. Another neighbor is sort of a batty "cat lady" type except she has one big dog instead of a bunch of cats, and has these giant planters and about a dozen 100 lb bags I guess, of potting soil on the deck of her sailboat. I made the mistake of enlisting her help winching me up my mast, not realizing she didn't know much about working a line on a winch. Another guy with a big motorboat who sold his house and bought the boat when it looked like a divorce was in the works, because it is pretty hard for the wife to take a man's boat in Louisiana... he seldom takes his boat out because he can't afford the fuel on a cop's salary. And these are just some of the liveaboards that I know. Another double-ender is covered with moss and algae... topside, not underwater! It does seem like a case of "boat abuse", but to these folks, they ARE using their boats. As cheap floating apartments. As places to entertain. As refuges from the cube life. As a focus or an inspiration for dreaming. It is easy to apply our own values to the lifestyles and boating styles of others, and find them coming up short, but our own opinions on such matters are really only relevant to our own boat utilization and upkeep. Ya just got to take it easy, and not let it bother you. And as others have pointed out, do you really want all these non-sailors to be out there cluttering up the water in their blissful ignorance of the rules of the road and basic shiphandling? Nah. Let them enjoy their dock queens.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 19:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
In my marina, there are so many boats. About 650 slips. around 50 liveaboards. About 500-550 slips full according to the guy who works there.

I see so many beautiful boats that just sit. Covered with dirt and crap. I just don't understand why you would get a boat, keep a boat and never use it. I can see boats that look like they have not been used in years. Why would you continue to keep owning the boat? Then when they do go to sell it, they price it at an unrealistic price that they could not get a buyer to pay. They leave crap all over the inside of the boat and take horrible photos or none at all.

I can't stand seeing all of the beautiful boats go so unloved.

It just makes no sense.

/rant off
Edward Bernays is responsible for this. Vessels bought by people who thought a boat would make them happy. Once the purchase is made it takes almost no time before the thrill is gone. Consumerism in America now being seen fiercely in the far east.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 20:09   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
.... It just makes no sense.

/rant off
Boats that Never Get Used ... I Don't Understand

Makes perfect sense… if you don’t have one and you try to use it… how long can you tread water?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 21:24   #50

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
A day on the water is better than a day on the slip, and a day on the slip is better than a day at home, and a day at home, is better than a day at work.

From the above, get as far away from work as you can.
Old 09-12-2012, 23:57   #51

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
In my marina, there are so many boats. About 650 slips. around 50 liveaboards. About 500-550 slips full according to the guy who works there.

I see so many beautiful boats that just sit. Covered with dirt and crap. I just don't understand why you would get a boat, keep a boat and never use it. I can see boats that look like they have not been used in years. Why would you continue to keep owning the boat? Then when they do go to sell it, they price it at an unrealistic price that they could not get a buyer to pay. They leave crap all over the inside of the boat and take horrible photos or none at all.

I can't stand seeing all of the beautiful boats go so unloved.

It just makes no sense.

/rant off
Sounds a lot like the situation over here in NSW Australia, especially around swing mooring fields.
Old 10-12-2012, 00:11   #52

Boat: gemini 105

Remember what drew you to the water? Its the same for all of us, but life, kids and bills get in the way, I was a Pier Queen owner for years until I retired and really had the time to go cruising. Fear is another factor for some, Hey if its going to happen then its going to happen out there! I wish I knew what happen to the first 5 sailboats I was going to sail off into the sunset on? I got smarter and wiser, I sail off into the sunrise now!
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32   #53

Boat: Ocean Alexander
Reminds me of the ramp queens found at small airports all across the country. Small airplanes with flat or half flat tires, control surfaces flapping in the wind with sun oxidized paint and no air time in years. I've never understood that either.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska JD View Post
Reminds me of the ramp queens found at small airports all across the country. Small airplanes with flat or half flat tires, control surfaces flapping in the wind with sun oxidized paint and no air time in years. I've never understood that either.
And when you ask if one of them is for sale they say"I love my plane why would I sale it "...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 11:09   #55

Boat: VIKSUND31 goldfish

When is time to work some time no time to sailing and when older
Retired some time health probleme and shape??
(am french,write english difficult). Artola.
ARTOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:14   #56

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

How many of those boats are low on their marks?

I saw in another thread, that the "careless" sentiment comes from the fact that the boats are generally insured for a fixed value. When the boat's hoses rot and it sinks, the owner simply cashes in the policy. No sweat. In that other thread, it was mentioned that some insurers are starting to drop boat insurance because of this sort of irresponsible behavior.
Old 13-12-2012, 20:12   #57

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
How many of those boats are low on their marks?

I saw in another thread, that the "careless" sentiment comes from the fact that the boats are generally insured for a fixed value. When the boat's hoses rot and it sinks, the owner simply cashes in the policy. No sweat. In that other thread, it was mentioned that some insurers are starting to drop boat insurance because of this sort of irresponsible behavior.
A lot of insurers now require a scheduled survey.
Old 13-12-2012, 20:17   #58

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTOLA View Post
When it is time to work there's no time for sailing and when older and retired, sometimes bad health, problems and bad shape prevent sailing!
Artola.
Fixed it for you.
Old 18-12-2012, 15:55   #59

Re: Boats that never get used...I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Maybe there is something you can do about it. Try talking to a few owners and see what kind of feedback you get. Maybe some of these guys just need a bit of help with something - like getting those old boats sold, or finding a more suitable storage. Maybe you will discover some that are simply abandoned with no legal living owners.
If there is a way for a fella to get his hands on one of these "abandoned tubs" folks please do me a favor and let me know how. Im a man of little means but living and working on the water has been a life long dream for me.
Old 18-12-2012, 17:14   #60

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Ask around almost any large boatyard and there will be several derelicts hauled out that have been abandoned by their owners and can be had for next to nothing. The best boatyards to check are large, old, and in an industrial part of town where rents are likely to be low. Look for the boats with the weeds growing up around them, green and black mold everywhere. I know of some folks who just left their boats in the yard and never returned.