Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 07:46   #1066
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

TO ALL Reading this thread:

Take a look at the boat I posted up above (Catalina 30).
Here is a link to the boat I mean:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2597456

Focus only on the relatively recent upgrades I bolded (engine, sails, drip seal, deck hardware, Bimini, etc.).

What do you think those upgrades cost in total costs (products + labor)?
Give your TOTAL estimate in a posted comment or send me a PM. I am sincerely curious and think the estimates of boat owners on CF would be useful to know.

I suspect those upgrades (products + labor) would cost much more than the current Asking Price of that boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 19:21   #1067

Boat: Hunter Vision 36

42 ft steel cutter-sold in 5 days!

Never even got a chance to look at it.....
Broadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:17   #1068
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadman View Post
42 ft steel cutter-sold in 5 days!

Never even got a chance to look at it.....
Someone rushed in.

Good luck to them.

For you, it may be a blessing in disguise.

Personally I have my eye on a very odd Steel boat. It will appeal to 0.01% of sailors, and is being poorly marketed. I’m waiting for the distress sale to come up. Then I’ll snap, then I’ll tell the Admiral.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 07:18   #1069

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
TO ALL Reading this thread:

Take a look at the boat I posted up above (Catalina 30).
Here is a link to the boat I mean:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2597456

Focus only on the relatively recent upgrades I bolded (engine, sails, drip seal, deck hardware, Bimini, etc.).

Give your TOTAL estimate in a posted comment or send me a PM. I am sincerely curious and think the estimates of boat owners on CF would be useful to know.

I suspect those upgrades (products + labor) would cost much more than the current Asking Price of that boat.
Since I have a C30 that is well kept I can tell you that the upgrades listed come up to the asking price. I’m not a fan of the earlier models but this has a diesel and sounds ready to sail. Of course there is the question of deck saturation and leaks which if present would take up to 100 hours to address.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:02   #1070

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
I would guess the new BETA (great choice, BTW), complete with the work on the shaft seal and panel, would be around $10,000. Maybe a bit more if they did a really nice job repainting the engine compartment and doing a top notch install with proper new engine mounts, etc. I say this because I had a Pearson 30 where the original A4 had been replaced by a volvo penta 2002. Decent engine, but it was simply shoehorned into place...not a great install. It was a great dancer, especially at low rpm. I will admit that it ran great, always started, and never needed anything above routine maintenance. But I never pushed it. Anyway, a shoehorn install of a used engine would be much cheaper than a brand new BETA done right. You really don't know until you see it.

I wouldn't consider the sails new, or anything special...replaced in 2009/2010 would make them 8 years old. Not special, sorry. The rest of the gear I would consider part of regular maintenance...new blocks, lines, head, etc. I don't care if they are new or old, so long as they work well.

However, it does show that the owner did regular maintenance and repaired or replaced things as needed. Thats a big selling feature to me. I also like the dinghy...worth another $1000 to me for sure. The bimini is certainly new...another $1,000.

So to answer your question...YES...the updated equipment certainly equals the ballpark value of the recent upgrades. But more than that, it makes it a desirable boat to buy, and a great deal for whoever buys it.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:49   #1071

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The C30 is also prone to rot of the compression post. I’ve seen nice looking boats with a rotted CP
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 09:28   #1072

Boat: Freedom 38

This is not exactly under $30K but it's a Freedom 38 that might be had for less than $35K. There's a ton of room in an F38 and for someone who wants to kit out a boat's electronics for themselves, this could be good: http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12737
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 10:15   #1073
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Endeavour 35

Steady's Notes

The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition. As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.

I like what I see in the photos. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.

The interior of the boat appears very clean, and compared to most boats of this age and asking price, it appears very good (interior condition).

This model's head compartment has a small separate shower stall (with seat).

Take note that this boat has a shortened rig (described below) (less than 50').

Ad indicates this boat has a 27 hp Yanmar Diesel (1984)
Yanmar diesel model 3HMF 27hp
Fresh water cooled
Upgraded alternator
Racor fuel filter
Sea strainer

Ad equipment list says: "16000 BTU Cruisair reverse cycle marine air and heat"

Ad says:
"Her interior has been upgraded with new port lights throughout, reupholstered cushions, newer galley faucet and shower head. The rig has been slightly shortened to allow her to manage under all 50 ft bridges. An upgraded aluminum fuel tank has been added, as well as the running rigging."

LOA = 35'

Year = 1984

Location = Niceville,Florida, USA

Asking Price = $29,900

Specifications for this model, from Sailboatdata
Hull Type: Fin with rudder on skeg Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 35.42' / 10.80m LWL: 29.50' / 8.99m
Beam: 12.17' / 3.71m Listed SA: 678 ft2 / 62.99 m2
Draft (max.) 4.92' / 1.50m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 13250 lbs./ 6010 kgs. Ballast: 5630 lbs. / 2554 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 19.44 Bal./Disp.: 42.50% Disp./Len.: 230.41
Designer: Bruce Kelley
Builder: Endeavour Yacht Corp. (USA)
Construction: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1983 Last Built: 1987 # Built: 300
AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.)
Make: Perkins Model:
Type: Diesel HP:
TANKS
Water: 76 gals. / 288 ltrs. Fuel: 33 gals. / 125 ltrs.

Link to Ad with contact info
1984 Endeavour Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area.
IF you have a sister boat, I encourage you to post some comments about it in this thread.
IF you own a similar or sister boat, I would enjoy sailing on it with you, because I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9708.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	166861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9709.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	166862  

Name:	IMG_9711.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	166863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9712.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	166864  

Name:	IMG_9717.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	166865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9714.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	166866  

Name:	IMG_9713.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	166867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9715.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	166868  

Name:	IMG_9716.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	166869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9707.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	166870  

Old 23-03-2018, 19:39   #1074

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]

Link to Ad with contact info
1984 Endeavour Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Second Endeavor I've seen this week. Good prices, well-equipped. Maybe I'll open my mind beyond a Catalina for a liveaboard!
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 14:24   #1075

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...482550255.html

Here is a beautiful 1972 Morgan 30/2 for $21,000 OBO. This boat appears to be in great condition. Everything has been updated, including a new Yanmar with less than 80 hours on it. She has a proud history and has won some races in the past! Here is the description from the Craigslist ad:

"Morgan 30/2 "ANTARES" Total Rehab...top to bottom and everything in-between...Teak 2 drop leaf table...Teak Floors ,custom stainless ladder,...less then 80 hours on new Yanmar 3YM 30 . Raymar instruments...must see to appreciate, won first place at Morgan Invasion Treasure Island Yacht Club ....two sets of sails ,including Kevlar see through racing sails...in storage. sleeps 6.........I have a briefcase full of paperwork and warranties. Photos of Rehab ......oil and impeller just serviced...new top-oline batteries 6 months....please see pics.....will sell or trade for German SUV...Just turned 62...my back and other parts of my body are not what they used to be ,I will miss sailing her. 3 time Winner ,Morgan Invasion.....Picture of Captain Charley Morgan visiting the "ANTARES" Daughter in Collage make offer $21,000 OBO"

I made an attempt to attach images of the boat, appears very clean and well maintained.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ant.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	167201   Click image for larger version

Name:	ant2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	167202  

Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 14:33   #1076
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinchi View Post
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...482550255.html

Here is a beautiful 1972 Morgan 30/2 for $21,000 OBO. This boat appears to be in great condition. Everything has been updated, including a new Yanmar with less than 80 hours on it. She has a proud history and has won some races in the past! Here is the description from the Craigslist ad:

"Morgan 30/2 "ANTARES" Total Rehab...top to bottom and everything in-between...Teak 2 drop leaf table...Teak Floors ,custom stainless ladder,...less then 80 hours on new Yanmar 3YM 30 . Raymar instruments...must see to appreciate, won first place at Morgan Invasion Treasure Island Yacht Club ....two sets of sails ,including Kevlar see through racing sails...in storage. sleeps 6.........I have a briefcase full of paperwork and warranties. Photos of Rehab ......oil and impeller just serviced...new top-oline batteries 6 months....please see pics.....will sell or trade for German SUV...Just turned 62...my back and other parts of my body are not what they used to be ,I will miss sailing her. 3 time Winner ,Morgan Invasion.....Picture of Captain Charley Morgan visiting the "ANTARES" Daughter in Collage make offer $21,000 OBO"

I made an attempt to attach images of the boat, appears very clean and well maintained.
Thanks for adding that boat to the mix, and for posting photos and descriptive text and what you saw.

FYI: That same boat was listed for sale many months ago too, and I posted a profile in this thread in April 2017. I remember the wording of the ad. At the time the owners asking price was $26,000. Here is a link to my earlier profile of it:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2373289
Old 27-03-2018, 15:10   #1077

Boat: Hunter Vision 36

87 Gulfstar CSY 42 - $27,000 listed in last couple of days

87 Gulfstar CSY 42 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

I like the masthead sloop design but its a pretty basic rig. This one looks clean but not a lot of photos (I tried to copy and upload but no success - know I've seen details before on how to so will research).

Walk over Centre Cockpit, woodwork looks in great condition to some I've seen this last week. Exterior very fresh. Only comment is refrigeration needs work. No radar visible so I suspect electronics are basic.

OK its Puerto Rico but for $27k? (Is it common to have boats down in the islands for quick sale?)

Distance/accessibility/survey are issues, any known issues with that particular model/vintage?
Broadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 18:31   #1078
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadman View Post
87 Gulfstar CSY 42 - $27,000 listed in last couple of days

87 Gulfstar CSY 42 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

I like the masthead sloop design but its a pretty basic rig. This one looks clean but not a lot of photos (I tried to copy and upload but no success - know I've seen details before on how to so will research).

Walk over Centre Cockpit, woodwork looks in great condition to some I've seen this last week. Exterior very fresh. Only comment is refrigeration needs work. No radar visible so I suspect electronics are basic.

OK its Puerto Rico but for $27k? (Is it common to have boats down in the islands for quick sale?)

Distance/accessibility/survey are issues, any known issues with that particular model/vintage?
Thanks for adding to the mix in this thread.

I took a look at the ad. Not much info.
I would prefer a different layout in saloon and no walkover.
But opinions differ.

You mentioned posting photos. Here are my tips on that.
_______

How to post a photo or multiple photos on CF threads:

I encourage everyone to post photos in CF because everyone enjoys seeing photos of boats and photos of gear helps to clarify communications about problems and helps others help one another with answers that fit questions. When you post a comment, you can use the "Post Reply / Advanced / Manage Attachments" function to add up to 12 photos to your post. It first allows 6 photos, but if you upload six first, you can then add another 6 for a total of 12, if you want, all embedded in a single post, and all uploaded at one editing time.

Warning!
Be careful not to take too long to upload and edit your posts, as the forum software "times out" after a few minutes (and no one knows how long that is, but I suspect about 5-10 minutes), and all that writing effort can be lost. This is a common problem for members who write detailed or long posts.

Safest Method for Long Posts
If your post will be long or complex, or involve original writing, it is a smart idea to write your post on a text document using an off-forum text editor, then when you are finished writing it, copy and paste that Long text block into a new post. This is safer. I know, because I have lost original writing efforts due to the forum software timing out on me, causing a total loss of effort. This has happened to other CF Members too. So, if your post is long, or detailed, or complex, or important original writing, then make sure you write it off the forum first. That is what I do, after learning the hard way.
-----------------------

You can find a very easy to follow video instruction about how to post photos on CF by going to the FAQ here or look on YouTube for a very clear video that shows how to do it. It is easy, but not intuitive. The video is a big help. Here is a link to the video.
https://youtu.be/NW5n8vZM34c

Watch and it is very easy to do. You can also post other types of content (videos, etc.) and photo files of many kinds.

Speedy Tip 1:
I usually post a jpg photo file that is about 1200x800 pixels, because that is what I consider a nice large size for web viewing. Most files can be downsized to about 100kb - 400kb or some larger. If my original photo file is high resolution (like a photo I take with my iPad), I prefer to first use some software (an app) to downsize the image file so that it is smaller and faster to upload. Since I use my iPad for most of my web surfing and CF surfing too, I use a free app called "Image Size" (by www.vsmedia.de) which is very easy, fast, and has multiple options. It does have some ads in the free version, but $1.99 removes the ads. I have no connection to that app other than being a happy user. It works for me and is intuitive and flexible.

Speedy Tip 2:
If you think you might refer to that photo in the future (e.g. Photos of your own boat or boat projects or gear), you could also upload it to your CF Profile and start a photo album there to contain your boat photos.

Speedy Tip 3:
Some people will upload photos to their own blog or website or a photo hosting site, and then use that photo or want to embed that photo in a post. Since I do most of my surfing from my iPad, I simply copy a photo and save it to my iPad, then upload it to my posts from my iPad, or Mac if I am using it instead. In other words, I temporarily have the photo on my iPad, and then after I upload it in my post I delete it from my iPad.

Here is another method recommended by one of the CF mods:

1. upload the image you want to attach to an online service or your own website or blog.
2. use the "insert image" tool and enter the url of the image you have uploaded.

3. Conversely, if the image is on an existing website, right click on the image and select copy image location url or similar wording, and again enter it into the image tool field.

Here is a topic on CF with the video embedded.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html
Old 28-03-2018, 15:10   #1079

Boat: Windward marine Sea Raker 28'

I don't know how to post a link, but there is a nice Pearson 323 posted on Craigslist Milwaukee for $25000, advertised as turn key, 2016 survey and many new upgrades.
Bdozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 15:17   #1080

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdozz View Post
I don't know how to post a link, but there is a nice Pearson 323 posted on Craigslist Milwaukee for $25000, advertised as turn key, 2016 survey and many new upgrades.
Just copy & paste the address.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price