Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 17:54   #1126

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

That Vanguard is one of the nicest you'll ever find I bet! You could eat off those engine mounts!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 17:58   #1127
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That Vanguard is one of the nicest you'll ever find I bet! You could eat off those engine mounts!
Yep.
I thought you would like this one.
It may make someone very happy.
As I see it, a good entry boat that has many newish things that will allow the next owner to not take so long on "refit" before sailing or cruising.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:04   #1128

Don't know if anyone posted this one yet
Morgan Out Island 41 - $25000 (Green Cove Springs
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...535380723.html
if I were ready I would take a look at this one. A early walover but look at the wood work someone did inside pics look good anyway and that plain jane panelling is gone. also notice the sugar scoop stern someone added. I like that.
I have two questions for you guys
What kind of lens on the camera produces the battleship looking beam in pics?
And do you think a inexperienced guy could operate this big boat single handed?
It's not like you would be able to stick out your foot or grab the piling to dock.
I'm not able to post the pics so go see for yourself, very nice looking boat, I'm impressed
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:35   #1129
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
It's not like you would be able to stick out your foot or grab the piling to dock.
No. I don't think so. And, fwiw, I hope you were joking...you never stick out any part of your body to stop any boat heavier than a small dinghy.
It would provide amusement and alarm for the onlookers though.

Operating a boat under power and line handling are vital basic skills that are underrated.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:02   #1130

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
No. I don't think so. And, fwiw, I hope you were joking...you never stick out any part of your body to stop any boat heavier than a small dinghy.
It would provide amusement and alarm for the onlookers though.

Operating a boat under power and line handling are vital basic skills that are underrated.
Yeah I was joking a bit I know I can't stop 12 tons with my puny legs Ha.
I suppose I could learn to use lines and leverage to get in and out,
But even so for one person it might be too big to handle.
There is a video on youtube of a 41.
Its one of those moments, the perfect boat on a perfect day and it makes you want one
https://youtu.be/KONKyClFFVc
Old 10-04-2018, 11:26   #1131

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Steel Bruce Roberts 35 near Kingston Ontario Canada. Asking $13,000cdn ($10,000 USD)

This is another of those sad stories. A guy puts together his dreamboat and never gets much further than the local marina. The family is left to liquidate.

There is a survey, dated Oct 2017. However, here is a quote from the survey: "Hull: Type of Construction: Fibre reinforced plastic". Clearly it is a steel vessel, so you gotta wonder.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

From the ad:

Selling my 35 foot steel hull sailing sloop with a 50 hp Perkins diesel. My grandpa built the boat in the mid 90’s. he designed it, so just one person can sail it. it spent most of its time in Kingston harbor. Has been sitting on dry dock for 2 seasons now. At Peck's Marina, Lansdowne Ontario, K0E 1L0.
They did have it running when it was pulled out of the water. I do have the mainsail in storage and it’s fairly new(about 4-5 years)
There’s been a survey done with ultrasounds and thermal imaging, for further details of the boat, just send me a email and i'll be gladly to forward you a copy - Since I do not know to much about it.
The boat has been left to me, from family and I don’t really have the time for it.
It was valued for 18,000 but i am willing to take 13,000(negotiable)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	167891   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	167892  

Name:	$_59 (2).JPG
Views:	179
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	167893   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (3).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	167894  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:33   #1132
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
Don't know if anyone posted this one yet
Morgan Out Island 41 - $25000 (Green Cove Springs
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...535380723.html
if I were ready I would take a look at this one. A early walover but look at the wood work someone did inside pics look good anyway and that plain jane panelling is gone. also notice the sugar scoop stern someone added. I like that.
I have two questions for you guys
What kind of lens on the camera produces the battleship looking beam in pics?
I'm not able to post the pics so go see for yourself, very nice looking boat, I'm impressed
Thanks for adding that boat to the mix.
I will send you some tips on uploading photos.
I will also add a profile, with photos, to this thread, shortly, later today.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:55   #1133
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Special Case. Why?

I started this thread to showcase exemplary boats on the market. I wanted to show that there are some nice cruising boats available for less than $30K. I generally choose boats that appear to be in Very Good to Outstanding condition.

Condition matters. I did not want to see this thread populated with junk boats or salvage boats or boats that have known significant problems (no working engine, wet decks, fire damage, sunken boats, etc.). I look at thousands of boats, but have limited my posts in this thread to boats that appear "ready to sail" and may be suitable as a reference point or example.

Today, I saw a boat I consider a nice design, with a (mostly) nice looking interior. Something about this particular boat looks familiar, and I suspect I have seen it listed before, but this now appears to be a new listing (I was just notified today).

Normally I would pass by this boat and not add it to this thread, but something about this one made me pause, as it may possibly fit what someone on CF is looking for (a suitable boat for someone with mechanical know-how to fix).

Morgan 41 Centerboard

Year = 1969
Asking Price = $19,900
Location = Coco Beach, Florida USA

Steady's Notes

Caveat Emptor!
According to the ad: "New in 2014 Phasor Kobuta 43HP FWC diesel got water in and needs Rebuild."

I like the white interior (but the forward cabin appears rough), and the layout and design of the boat.

I like that it is a centerboard boat, suitable for shallow waters.

It is an OLD boat (1969) and it does have a significant problem (the motor is not running). But, replacing an engine can be a relatively simple and quick fix, if one is handy and is aware of the required replacement bits and associated gear (cooling, shaft, mounts, electrical) etc.

In this case, I would look at the boat as conservatively requiring a new engine. I would normally pass up such a boat, but because the engine has been recently updated (installed in 2014) some of the necessary "other required work" may have already been done, leaving less than usual needed work to fit the engine and prop and shaft, mounts, plumbing, wiring, etc. You have to determine that.

In this case, the engine is a recently installed Kubota 43hp engine that ingested some water, causing a need to rebuild it. It could be completely ruined. This could be replaced by Beta Marine. Or, one could investigate the possibility of a rebuild. I would assume it is just a lump that has to be removed from the boat when negotiating the price. But that is me.

Because it has a non-working engine, it will be overlooked by many potential buyers, and may remain on the market till the right person comes along.

In any case, I see this as an opportunity for negotiating the price of the boat, because there are so many other nice boats on the market that have working engines.

What is a reasonable price? That and the rest is up to you.

Here is a link to the boat ad:
1969 Morgan Centerboard Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area.
IF you have a sister boat, I encourage to post some comments about it in this thread.
IF you own a similar or sister boat, I would enjoy sailing on it with you. Why? I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0120.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	167988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	167989  

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	167990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	167991  

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	167992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	167993  

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	167994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	167995  

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	167996  
Old 12-04-2018, 17:33   #1134

Lite and bright interior reduces that submarine feeling. Only 3 steps up to the companionway! and a big Bottle of Irish whiskey on the counter.
Nice boat
Old 12-04-2018, 23:17   #1135

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Special Case. Why?

I started this thread to showcase exemplary boats on the market. I wanted to show that there are some nice cruising boats available for less than $30K. I generally choose boats that appear to be in Very Good to Outstanding condition.

Condition matters. I did not want to see this thread populated with junk boats or salvage boats or boats that have known significant problems (no working engine, wet decks, fire damage, sunken boats, etc.). I look at thousands of boats, but have limited my posts in this thread to boats that appear "ready to sail" and may be suitable as a reference point or example.

Today, I saw a boat I consider a nice design, with a (mostly) nice looking interior. Something about this particular boat looks familiar, and I suspect I have seen it listed before, but this now appears to be a new listing (I was just notified today).

Normally I would pass by this boat and not add it to this thread, but something about this one made me pause, as it may possibly fit what someone on CF is looking for (a suitable boat for someone with mechanical know-how to fix).

Morgan 41 Centerboard

Year = 1969
Asking Price = $19,900
Location = Coco Beach, Florida USA

Steady's Notes

Caveat Emptor!
According to the ad: "New in 2014 Phasor Kobuta 43HP FWC diesel got water in and needs Rebuild."

I like the white interior (but the forward cabin appears rough), and the layout and design of the boat.

I like that it is a centerboard boat, suitable for shallow waters.

It is an OLD boat (1969) and it does have a significant problem (the motor is not running). But, replacing an engine can be a relatively simple and quick fix, if one is handy and is aware of the required replacement bits and associated gear (cooling, shaft, mounts, electrical) etc.

In this case, I would look at the boat as conservatively requiring a new engine. I would normally pass up such a boat, but because the engine has been recently updated (installed in 2014) some of the necessary "other required work" may have already been done, leaving less than usual needed work to fit the engine and prop and shaft, mounts, plumbing, wiring, etc. You have to determine that.

In this case, the engine is a recently installed Kubota 43hp engine that ingested some water, causing a need to rebuild it. It could be completely ruined. This could be replaced by Beta Marine. Or, one could investigate the possibility of a rebuild. I would assume it is just a lump that has to be removed from the boat when negotiating the price. But that is me.

Because it has a non-working engine, it will be overlooked by many potential buyers, and may remain on the market till the right person comes along.

In any case, I see this as an opportunity for negotiating the price of the boat, because there are so many other nice boats on the market that have working engines.

What is a reasonable price? That and the rest is up to you.
_
I looked at this yesterday - I passed it up because of the motor. Maybe it's worth another look.
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 01:29   #1136
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghendoaus View Post
I looked at this yesterday - I passed it up because of the motor. Maybe it's worth another look.
It might be.

But, to be clesr, given that the engine may be ruined, I do not think the boat is worth $19,900 as is. In other words, I think this Price should be negotiated, considering the engine may need to be replaced, and the forward cabin appears rough (at minimum).

As this thread shows, in any of the many earlier posts, there are many nice boats out there, with working engines, and nice interiors, that can be bought for $19,900.
Old 14-04-2018, 04:35   #1137

Boat: Hintehoeller, Nonsuch,30C

1981 Nonsuch 30C.
Repowerd with 2007 Volovo D1-30 and S130 saildrive (3 blade folding Prop) in 2008.(Approx 450 hrs on engine).
Bottom soda blasted in 2006. 5 gal of inter-protect 2000 applied. New maiisail and cover2007. Original sail still availailble. New LPG stove and water heater and head updated in 2016. New full winter canvas cover 2017.
Needs a little interior cleanup but outside shes a dream. GPS, Autopiloit & radar. Moving must sell. $30.000 203 219-5552
Catboatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 05:51   #1138

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catboatjoe View Post
1981 Nonsuch 30C.
Repowerd with 2007 Volovo D1-30 and S130 saildrive (3 blade folding Prop) in 2008.(Approx 450 hrs on engine).
Bottom soda blasted in 2006. 5 gal of inter-protect 2000 applied. New maiisail and cover2007. Original sail still availailble. New LPG stove and water heater and head updated in 2016. New full winter canvas cover 2017.
Needs a little interior cleanup but outside shes a dream. GPS, Autopiloit & radar. Moving must sell. $30.000 203 219-5552
Details? Link?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:42   #1139

Hi everyone. I'm new to sailing but have been following this forum for a while. Anyways this 33' Tartan for only $3k looks intriguing and I thought I'd share. Cheers! https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/d/sailboat-33-tartan-ten-5/6560890861.html
Andrewf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 20:07   #1140

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewf91 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to sailing but have been following this forum for a while. Anyways this 33' Tartan for only $3k looks intriguing and I thought I'd share. Cheers! https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...560890861.html
Welcome aboard Andrew! And I'd say you've found a really good one!!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price