Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 09:56   #826

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...331551015.html

1973 Seafarer Ketch 38 asking price $8,000

Location Portsmouth, Virginia

Can anyone provide some info on the above boat? I'm looking at buying my first sail boat and living on her while I fix it up a bit. I have found some information on the boat but can't seem to find too much.

Looking at getting some insight into the quality of the boat and the cost of the repairs listed.

Appreciate everyone's input.
novakja1452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:57   #827
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakja1452 View Post

Can anyone provide some info on the above boat? I'm looking at buying my first sail boat and living on her while I fix it up a bit. I have found some information on the boat but can't seem to find too much.

Looking at getting some insight into the quality of the boat and the cost of the repairs listed.

Howdy.

I just took a look at that boat via your link, in order to give you some response.
From what I saw listed on the "needs work" part of the description, it is not a lot of items listed (but there are never a lot of "needs fixing" items listed in sale listings) and those mentioned do not seem critical or difficult to remedy. Most engine leaks can be fixed given some time and effort. Short mizzen booms can be found in yacht salvage yards or made. Air Conditioning is not essential, could be repaired, or taken out.

The photos show a "fair" condition boat. But, photos can be misleading, so it is always a good idea to see the boat yourself, take a knowledgeable sailor friend along too. And, most will advise hiring a professional yacht surveyor to look it over thoroughly prior to purchase.

But, at this low Asking Price point ($8,000) for a 38 foot boat, one should expect there to be MANY needs and maintenance that has been deferred (so needed).

For example, if I were purchasing a typical low priced boat (average condition, not great condition) at the lower price point (e.g. Less than $20K), I would expect to spend a lot of money fixing it up. I would likely replace or "refit" the following:
1. New Sails
2. New Standing Rigging
3. New Running Rigging
4. New seacocks, plumbing, toilet refit, engine hoses, water hoses, etc.
5. New Batteries
6. New wiring
7. New Paint (exterior and interior and bottom)
8. New lighting (LED)
9. New Cushions
10. New Canvas
All of that adds up!

That is because I would want a boat I could safely sail and depend upon, not just park in a marina.

One more point regarding that advertised boat. The owner mentions he is giving it up and one reason he described is because he found it difficult to single hand the boat in the marina environment where it is located. Since this is a full keel boat, you should consider how you will handle it too, if you plan to sail alone. If you are only accustomed to easily maneuvered fin keel boat or dinghies, you may find it more challenging. You can read about the differences here in the forum.

Others may answer your other questions with more experience they have buying and refitting similar boats, but you will find more about the common things that need fixing if you spend some time reading any of the other forums on this site that are focused on electrical, engines, etc.

You asked about more info on the Seafarer 38 boat.
Here is a link to a thread in the CF archives, and it has embedded comments from Seafarer owners and links to Seafarer owners groups and info.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...8-a-61588.html

For further questions about that particular boat model, I suggest you add your questions to that thread I linked above, as it will notify those members who previously posted comments on it, and that will help you get responses.

Good luck on your decision.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 14:30   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Valiant 40 Pilot House

Steady's Notes

I like Pilot House boats. But some more than others. This one does have an inside steering position (shown in photos below), but I do wonder about the visibility from that position.

The sale ad linked below has much detailed information about the boat and gear. It includes an almost new Bimini, Solar Panels over the Bimini, and an Arch at the stern.

Anyone considering buying a Valiant 40 should do some research on the boat model. The Valiant was a popular boat design, and much has been written about them. As with any boat "Caveat Emptor!"

Specifications

LOA = 40'
Year =
Location = Kemah Texas (near Houston)

Asking Price = Price reduced 8/30/17 to $25,000

This is the lowest price I have ever seen for a Valiant 40.

Was previously listed at $35K

Not know that much about sailing, unsure if it would be easy enough to solo in.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 19:13   #829
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
1978 Baltic 37 $29,990

A boat you don't often see in the US, lists as well maintained and updated, nicely equipped.
Oh, and for comparison, there's a '78 in Germany asking price US$ 91,972
Sail it to Europe and pay for your trip?

"PRICE REDUCED 10/07/17 - A REAL RACER/CRUISER with full classic teak interior and cockpit. You can sail anywhere safely with this yacht. Designed by C&C for Baltic Yachts and built in Finland to Baltic Yacht's renown standards of finish and strength. Continually updated. Tricabin layout with solid doors for privacy. Sleeps up to 8 cruising, 5 racing. Equally at home cruising locally or to distant places. Has won its class multiple times at virtually every major Greater NY area regatta. Perhaps the most esthetically pleasing of all 37 ft. sailboats. Teak deck recently replaced with two tone white awlgrip w/nonskid. New teak cockpit seats. This one owner, federally documented vessel must be seen and sailed to be fully appreciated. 2016 OUT-OF-THE-WATER survey available. See pictures including new VC Offshore Teflon bottom paint sanded to 400 grit and burnished to a dull shine. Lots more pictures and complete details at HOME

And Check Out This Mad Equipment List!
Equipment: Automatic two speed Isotherm cold plate refrigeration. Three burner propane stove with oven. Hot & cold pressurized water with automatic temperature regulator. LED lighting. Monel water and fuel tanks. New Volvo engine and saildrive 2003. Navtec solid rod rigging with hydraulic backstay. Two solar powered coach roof vent fans. 11 Winches including four 3 speed. Full Signet instrumentation, GPS, FM/CD radio #1,2 & 3 carbon genoas, dacron #4 dacron jib and storm sails, five spinnakers, high tech no-stretch halyards, sheets and foreguys, roller bearing cars on genoa and mainsail tracks. Smooth full race bottom, keel and rudder. Many spare parts and much much more.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22   #830

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: 1978 Baltic 37 $29,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
A boat you don't often see in the US, lists as well maintained and updated, nicely equipped.
Oh, and for comparison, there's a '78 in Germany asking price US$ 91,972
Sail it to Europe and pay for your trip?

"PRICE REDUCED 10/07/17 - A REAL RACER/CRUISER with full classic teak interior and cockpit. You can sail anywhere safely with this yacht. Designed by C&C for Baltic Yachts and built in Finland to Baltic Yacht's renown standards of finish and strength. Continually updated. Tricabin layout with solid doors for privacy. Sleeps up to 8 cruising, 5 racing. Equally at home cruising locally or to distant places. Has won its class multiple times at virtually every major Greater NY area regatta. Perhaps the most esthetically pleasing of all 37 ft. sailboats. Teak deck recently replaced with two tone white awlgrip w/nonskid. New teak cockpit seats. This one owner, federally documented vessel must be seen and sailed to be fully appreciated. 2016 OUT-OF-THE-WATER survey available. See pictures including new VC Offshore Teflon bottom paint sanded to 400 grit and burnished to a dull shine. Lots more pictures and complete details at HOME

And Check Out This Mad Equipment List!
Equipment: Automatic two speed Isotherm cold plate refrigeration. Three burner propane stove with oven. Hot & cold pressurized water with automatic temperature regulator. LED lighting. Monel water and fuel tanks. New Volvo engine and saildrive 2003. Navtec solid rod rigging with hydraulic backstay. Two solar powered coach roof vent fans. 11 Winches including four 3 speed. Full Signet instrumentation, GPS, FM/CD radio #1,2 & 3 carbon genoas, dacron #4 dacron jib and storm sails, five spinnakers, high tech no-stretch halyards, sheets and foreguys, roller bearing cars on genoa and mainsail tracks. Smooth full race bottom, keel and rudder. Many spare parts and much much more.
Do you have a link to the listing. I love Baltics, looks like a good deal for someone. Plus someone already dealt with the teak.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02   #831

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakja1452 View Post

1973 Seafarer Ketch 38 asking price $8,000

Location Portsmouth, Virginia

I worked at Seafarer as a teenager back in the 70's as a fiberglass monkey. You could not give me one of their boats, they are so poorly constructed. They are rare to find these days...because most of them are now in landfills. They are chopper gun boats, poor quality hardware and poorly mounted.

Yeah I know a few people have them and love them, but they are the exception. I'd certainly not consider one that had not been really well maintained. It would be a huge project to bring one back.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Valiant 40 Pilot House
This is a tremendous amount of boat for $25k. I don't think I've seen a Valiant sell for that low, even a roached one. And this one is pretty well equipped, with solar, a large bank, wind generator, arch, wind vane, and a Westerbeke with pretty low hours. Looks like it will need new rigging and chainplates...the backstay isolator is original so I'm going to bet the rod rigging is too.

To Ann's warning about blister era boats, it's something to be very careful of because the fire retardant was added to the entire layup and the blisters can be throughout. While it's basically a cosmetic issue, it's pretty well impossible to cure without grinding the boat to oblivion.

The good news is that it's straightforward to find out if the boat is post-blister, when they stopped adding the fire retardant. I forget the last hull number but it should be easy to find out.
Old 10-11-2017, 16:01   #833

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 1978 Baltic 37 $29,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Do you have a link to the listing. I love Baltics, looks like a good deal for someone. Plus someone already dealt with the teak.
Here's the listing: 1978 Baltic Yachts Baltic 37 sailboat for sale in Connecticut
- I thought the owner's website linked in original post was more informative.
Yes, having the teak addressed is a huge plus. This owner seems like he really cared for the boat.
Old 10-11-2017, 19:35   #834
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To SUIJIN: thanks for adding your comments and experience to the discussion on these Boats.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 23:10   #835

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A Valiant 40 for 25K? Is that a typo? Bluewaterboats.org has a good write-up and explanation of the blister years.
The Valiant 40 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Here's a quote: "Blisters developed on nearly all Valiant 40s built between 1976-1981 with hull numbers 120-249, hull numbers 250-266 are less blister prone, the switch to isophthalic resin came in 1984 and hulls 267 onwards are Texas built."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:05   #836

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A Valiant 40 for 25K? Is that a typo? [/url]
Here's a quote: "Blisters developed on nearly all Valiant 40s built between 1976-1981
So as a 1981, it's a blister era boat. Still, if you can put up with the cosmetics, it is a whole lot of boat for the money.
Valiant 40 Pilothouse, 1981, Kemah Boardwalk Marina, Texas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale
Old 11-11-2017, 06:19   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0tz View Post
So as a 1981, it's a blister era boat. Still, if you can put up with the cosmetics, it is a whole lot of boat for the money.
Valiant 40 Pilothouse, 1981, Kemah Boardwalk Marina, Texas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale
A little more info on the Valiant blister issue that is relevant to this boat. Blisters are far more prevalent in boats that live in warm water, and blisters can emerge decades later when a cold water boat (i.e., the PNW) is moved to warm water. Just a couple of days ago, on the Valiant owners' group, an owner of a 70's era boat recounted that since they recently moved their boat to Mexico there has been a significant proliferation in blisters below the waterline.

Many blister boats live good lives up north with only minimal blistering. So if you were going to keep the boat north you'd be far less concerned with the issue.

Again, the hull numbers of blister boats are known, and this boat, falling in the last year when the fire retardant chemical was used, may be a post blister boat.

That said, blister boats go for a significant discount. It's hard to imagine that this boat, with all of it's equipment, would not go for 2-3x it's asking price if it were not a blister boat. A 5 minute phone call to the owner/broker should answer the question. If it's not a blister boat it's the deal of the century. If it is a blister boat then it's still fairly priced.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Wonder if the blister problem has anything to do with the price drop?
Lot of 'stuff' to put on a boat with what seems like a model that has as much blister problems as that review link you also included.

Not know that much about sailing, unsure if it would be easy enough to solo in.
Valiants are legendary single-handing boats (which was a factor in buying mine, as I single hand almost exclusively). The first solo non-stop sailing circumnavigation was done in a Valiant and they were a weapon of choice in lots of single-hand races back in the day. Small secure cockpit, very stable boat, wide flat deck, and can be rigged with all lines leading back to the cockpit. While no speedster by today's standards, it's a lot faster than it looks when well handled and a serious freight train offshore.

However, I dunno about the pilot house model. I looked at one when I was in the hunt for my boat and it was not my cup of tea. But I can see the attraction if I was poking mostly around higher lats.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:29   #839
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Here is a pretty little boat in Rio Dulce Guatemala, Lady Anne, a finished project, ready to go

see SV Lady Anne - Beaty 31 –designed by S & S, based upon a Hinkley 31 | SeaKist Yacht Sales
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:37   #840

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Valiants are legendary single-handing boats (which was a factor in buying mine, as I single hand almost exclusively). The first solo non-stop sailing circumnavigation was done in a Valiant and they were a weapon of choice in lots of single-hand races back in the day. Small secure cockpit, very stable boat, wide flat deck, and can be rigged with all lines leading back to the cockpit. While no speedster by today's standards, it's a lot faster than it looks when well handled and a serious freight train offshore.

However, I dunno about the pilot house model. I looked at one when I was in the hunt for my boat and it was not my cup of tea. But I can see the attraction if I was poking mostly around higher lats.
According to some designer named Perry () the pilot house model "is where I fixed the mistakes of the 40) she sails perfectly..."

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price