Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 15:00   #16

Re: Boat With Owner's Bed Access From Both Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Not to worry, your English is very good -- and very much better! -- than my Italian!!

Although I'd probably never actually starve there; restaurant grammar is always easier...

-Chris
LOL

Thanks i appreciate your positivity
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:01   #17

Boat: C&C 25

Bonjorno Stefano,

The first thing is to understand what type of cruising ? Mostly marina and moored, or are you going to sail more ?
Now what type of sailing coastal, or offshore ?

Where would like to sail if you do mostly sail.?

You need to get the sailboat that meets your needs, example I would not buy a hummer to drive in Piazza di Roma . Nor would I get a Smart car if I want to travel the Gobi desert .

Understanding your needs is the first step. Then go sailing with friends, rent out charters, and go try some different boats, not just at a marina but at sea ??

Would an Italian but a Ferrari without driving it first
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Bonjorno Stefano,

The first thing is to understand what type of cruising ? Mostly marina and moored, or are you going to sail more ?
Now what type of sailing coastal, or offshore ?

Where would like to sail if you do mostly sail.?

You need to get the sailboat that meets your needs, example I would not buy a hummer to drive in Piazza di Roma . Nor would I get a Smart car if I want to travel the Gobi desert .

Understanding your needs is the first step. Then go sailing with friends, rent out charters, and go try some different boats, not just at a marina but at sea ??

Would an Italian but a Ferrari without driving it first
Aahah

Buongiorno!

less marina possible, more wild and at anchor, first coastal (along mediterranean) and within 1-2 years max offshore as atlantic crossing.

Croatia, Greece, south Italy, Sardinia, France, ecc...really would like arab country like Egypt, Tunisia, ecc and so on but not sure if safe, ecc

Yes i thought about charter my "dream boat" then buy...
Old 01-02-2016, 13:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
At the end abandoned the idea of the mid beam bed for an ordinary bow bed...
A forepeak cabin is fine in a marina, but in seas that are not calm, the forepeak cabin will be pounding up and down. At sea, it's generally much nicer to sleep aft or in the salon. Offshore, one can stay on the same tack for a long time, but near shore it may be necessary to tack often enough to interfere with sleeping.

Charter a boat or find some way to sail where you can try sleeping in different parts of the boat, in different sea conditions. One really needs this experience to make an informed choice about cabin layout.
Old 01-02-2016, 13:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
A forepeak cabin is fine in a marina, but in seas that are not calm, the forepeak cabin will be pounding up and down. At sea, it's generally much nicer to sleep aft or in the salon. Offshore, one can stay on the same tack for a long time, but near shore it may be necessary to tack often enough to interfere with sleeping.

Charter a boat or find some way to sail where you can try sleeping in different parts of the boat, in different sea conditions. One really needs this experience to make an informed choice about cabin layout.
Thanks for the advice...

I don't know why but i got convinced that the forepeak cabin is the owners's one..Well thinking it will slam on waves...not confortable if 1 sleep 1 at the helm or sleeping at the anchor...

I think one of the 2 cabin at the aft of the boat would be ok..

About layout i get sure about i don't want a L shaped kitchen and a all long saloon with folding table (ok the L shaped kitchen would be nice but the cons of the long saloon stopped me)
Old 01-02-2016, 14:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
I don't know why but i got convinced that the forepeak cabin is the owners's one.
It's often the case that the forepeak cabin is the owner's cabin, but that arrangement is only good for people who go day sailing and return to the marina at night. If you look at some of the more serious (and more expensive) offshore monohulls like Oyster, for example, you'll find the owner's cabin aft. In the common arrangement of one forepeak and two aft cabins, the forepeak cabin is more spacious but the aft cabins are more comfortable for sleeping. When the seas get rough, the salon is often the best place to sleep.
Old 01-02-2016, 17:35   #22

Boat: Passport 40

Take a look at Cantieri del Pardo Grand Soleil 42. It's Italian ( and a German Frers design. It's a fast cruiser, excellent build quality. Im currently looking at 45s of the same design.

Good luck!
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:54   #23

Quote:
It's often the case that the forepeak cabin is the owner's cabin, but that arrangement is only good for people who go day sailing and return to the marina at night. If you look at some of the more serious (and more expensive) offshore monohulls like Oyster, for example, you'll find the owner's cabin aft. In the common arrangement of one forepeak and two aft cabins, the forepeak cabin is more spacious but the aft cabins are more comfortable for sleeping. When the seas get rough, the salon is often the best place to sleep.

Thanks for the useful info
Old 02-02-2016, 06:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
Take a look at Cantieri del Pardo Grand Soleil 42. It's Italian ( and a German Frers design. It's a fast cruiser, excellent build quality. Im currently looking at 45s of the same design.

Good luck!
I looked it, but the mainsails's rail (the one who keep the boom centered i don't know the name LOL) is just after the hatch...almost in the middle of the cockpit...The best (for me) are attached near the end of the roof, so you have all the cockpit rope free (no people that get feet's finger in, fall with nose on the ground, eccc..)

However great solid boat

I also looked at the XC 42 from X yacht they look very good, but new and expensive...

Scandinavia 30 and 35 are brand new (from 56k and 86k plus vat each) and i love the white interior of the 35 (that you can have also on the 30...but no one 35 as far as i know has never been built...so...nothing)
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16   #25

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
A forepeak cabin is fine in a marina, but in seas that are not calm, the forepeak cabin will be pounding up and down. At sea, it's generally much nicer to sleep aft or in the salon...
I've found no problem sleeping in the forepeak in force 10 but you get there more pounding in moderate seas like 2 to 4 m waves. That's on board a 65' boat.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed