Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 05:51   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Boat Suggestions

Hi fellow sailors!
I usually don't come to this particular section of cruisers forum. Our future plans have been to buy a catamaran. But, recently, we've decided to, at least, consider a mono-hull. As such, I've been trolling some of the boat seller sites, and compared to shopping for a multi-hull.. the choices in Monos are a bit overwhelming. So many to choose from.

I'm wondering if I could ask for some help from you fine people to direct me towards some manufacturers that may fit our needs.

We are looking for:
1. a good, safe, bluewater cruiser. ****this is first priority and is crucial!
2. This is not a requirement, but I do really like the center cockpit, so that would be favored.
3. I'm moderately claustrophobic, but feel very comfortable when there are windows bringing in ample natural light, and of course a wider beam also keeps me from feeling closed in. So, that would be really nice.
4. the size we are looking at would be between 40' and 50'.
5. definitely used.. and we'd like to keep the cost under $250,000

We are really looking for a quality made boat, inside and out. We prefer the classic interior woods, because they are timeless, and if maintained, look as beautiful at 30 years old, as they do at 5 years. Some of the newer boats we've been seeing have that really cheap pressed wood/laminate crap, and I can't image that holding up over the years in salt water. plus it really looks cheap. This is going to be my home, and we have great pride of ownership. We want a beautiful boat, and we take very good care of our things, so we want it to stay beautiful.

We've seen a couple of manufacturers that we like the designs of, but we do not know how they rate as far as safety, and performance. (perhaps someone could give me their input on that). We like Island packet, and also Hunter makes some beautiful classic designs. But again, I don't know anything about their performance or safety.

(btw.. I'm also doing a thorough search of past posts, but wanted to get start my own thread as well, so it would be easy for me to refer back to in the future) All suggestions will be taken under great consideration!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:56   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Boat Suggestions

For the 40-50' range, $250k can buy you a hell of a cruising sailboat. Island Packets have a cult following and I'm sure people will chime in with information about them. They make a few models in the mid 40's (420, 440, 45) that are nice solid boats. Just curious, which models of Hunter sailboats are you referring to that are "beautiful classic designs?"
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 06:05   #3

In addition to the IP, consider the Caliber 40 and 47.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
For the 40-50' range, $250k can buy you a hell of a cruising sailboat. Island Packets have a cult following and I'm sure people will chime in with information about them. They make a few models in the mid 40's (420, 440, 45) that are nice solid boats. Just curious, which models of Hunter sailboats are you referring to that are "beautiful classic designs?"
Hi DDabs!
I probably used the wrong term. What I meant by "beautiful classic designs" was in reference to the dark rich woods... the slatted walls in the cabins. More traditional cabinetry. As opposed to some of the more modern designs where they are the light laminents, white walls, etc. Maybe a better word would have been "traditional"? not sure..

And, yes.. we know we will get a good cruising boat. the $250K is the absolute max we would go on a monohull.. hopefully we can find the right boat for us well below that. We have been saving for a really long time, and will sell everything to cruise full time. So, this truly will be our residence full time...

Also, what do you mean by "IP's have a cult following"? Not sure what that means, and I would love for you to elaborate.
Old 18-05-2016, 07:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
In addition to the IP, consider the Caliber 40 and 47.
Thanks Tetra! going to go look at them now.
Old 18-05-2016, 07:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oyster
Hallberg Rassy
Nauticat

I like center cockpits. But based on your intro, Look for a deck saloon.

I really like the Nauticats. Lots of light. Be aware they have different styles. I like both mainlines (Traditional Motorsailers, and the other style too, which is very different from the Traditional Motorsailer).

Good luck.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 07:36   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Scarlet, you might want to look at Tayana 48. Beautiful interior woodwork, and good sailing boat of high quality build.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:02   #8

These are all great suggestions!
I've seen the Oysters at the boat shows. gorgeous boats, but I figured they were out of our price range. But as I'm looking, we can get an older model for our budget.. so we will add that to our list.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Nauticat! What I like about this boat is the raised Salon (which allows for 360 viewing) and then the galley and cabins down a level. great design!

The Tayana is also a beautiful option for us. I actually looked at a few of these last night, and was also impressed with them. I hadn't heard of them before, so I don't know their reputation. So, I'm going to research them a bit more, as they make a really beautiful boat!
Old 18-05-2016, 08:09   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Although I'm partial to Tayanas I also would love a Nauticat 515.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Hi DDabs!
I probably used the wrong term. What I meant by "beautiful classic designs" was in reference to the dark rich woods... the slatted walls in the cabins. More traditional cabinetry. As opposed to some of the more modern designs where they are the light laminents, white walls, etc. Maybe a better word would have been "traditional"? not sure..

And, yes.. we know we will get a good cruising boat. the $250K is the absolute max we would go on a monohull.. hopefully we can find the right boat for us well below that. We have been saving for a really long time, and will sell everything to cruise full time. So, this truly will be our residence full time...

Also, what do you mean by "IP's have a cult following"? Not sure what that means, and I would love for you to elaborate.
Island Packet as a brand has a large following of cruisers who love their boats to death. I know multiple people who have sold their Island Packets for bigger Island Packets, and some of them even owning two at the same time!!! A truly crazy bunch.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to be smart earlier, it's just the only Hunter that is somewhat traditional is the older Cherubini designed 30'. You were talking about interiors! That makes much more sense. I'm with you- I prefer the warm wood interiors to the newer stark interiors. You'll find that most of the well built cruisers from the 80's and 90's and even a bit newer will have what you are looking for. It's mostly the newer production boats that stick to the modern interiors.

A thing to keep in mind- living aboard full time with no other residence, the boat is going to get small quick. I know you are considering 40-50 ft., and you might want to stick to the higher end of that spectrum. I live by myself on a 40 ft. sailboat and it's already getting tight! Haha!
Old 18-05-2016, 12:53   #11

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We own a Catalina 470.

We lived on her seven years and including fulltime cruising for three years from San Francisco to SW Florida.

She is nicely equipped and for sale in your price range

PM me if you are interested in the link.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:01   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Several good options mentioned already. A few more to add

Stevens 47 (one of my favorites)
Pearson 422 (the one I own)
Peterson 44 and 46
Halberg Rassey
C&C Landfall 43
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:14   #13

Kaufman 47/49
Old 18-05-2016, 13:52   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

One of the few monohulls I would consider.
Everything in a smaller package..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 14:06   #15

Boat: Seaward 22

I've always admired Hylas. There are some older ones in your price range.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote