Hi fellow sailors!
I usually don't come to this particular section of cruisers forum. Our future plans have been to buy a catamaran
. But, recently, we've decided to, at least, consider a mono-hull. As such, I've been trolling some of the boat seller sites, and compared to shopping
for a multi-hull.. the choices in Monos are a bit overwhelming. So many to choose from.
I'm wondering if I could ask for some help from you fine people to direct me towards some manufacturers that may fit our needs.
We are looking for:
1. a good, safe, bluewater cruiser. ****this is first priority and is crucial!
2. This is not a requirement, but I do really like the center cockpit
, so that would be favored.
3. I'm moderately claustrophobic, but feel very comfortable when there are windows bringing in ample natural light, and of course a wider beam also keeps me from feeling closed in. So, that would be really nice.
4. the size we are looking at would be between 40' and 50'.
5. definitely used.. and we'd like to keep the cost under $250,000
We are really looking for a quality made boat, inside and out. We prefer the classic interior
woods, because they are timeless, and if maintained, look as beautiful at 30 years old, as they do at 5 years. Some of the newer boats we've been seeing have that really cheap
pressed wood/laminate crap, and I can't image that holding up over the years in salt water
. plus it really looks cheap
. This is going to be my home, and we have great pride of ownership
. We want a beautiful boat, and we take very good care of our things, so we want it to stay beautiful.
We've seen a couple of manufacturers that we like the designs of, but we do not know how they rate as far as safety
, and performance. (perhaps someone could give me their input on that). We like Island packet
, and also Hunter
makes some beautiful classic designs. But again, I don't know anything about their performance or safety
(btw.. I'm also doing a thorough search of past posts, but wanted to get start my own thread as well, so it would be easy for me to refer back to in the future) All suggestions will be taken under great consideration!