Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2016, 21:43   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Boat Suggestions

1984 Shannon Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1985 Custom Steel Ketch 47 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1990 Passport Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1991 C&C 51 C/B Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 04:22   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
3. I'm moderately claustrophobic, but feel very comfortable when there are windows bringing in ample natural light, and of course a wider beam also keeps me from feeling closed in. So, that would be really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Nauticat

I really like the Nauticats. Lots of light. Be aware they have different styles. I like both mainlines (Traditional Motorsailers, and the other style too, which is very different from the Traditional Motorsailer).
Quote:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Nauticat! What I like about this boat is the raised Salon (which allows for 360 viewing) and then the galley and cabins down a level. great design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Although I'm partial to Tayanas I also would love a Nauticat 515.

Back when we were shopping on sailboats...

We kept gravitating toward the Nauticats with the raised saloon. I liked the traditional styling, but those models also seemed to address the "living in a cave" issue a bit better than many others.

We ended up solving our boating addiction by going a different direction altogether, but I still appreciate ogling a Nauticat every time we get a chance...

Of course there are other brands/models with that raised saloon approach. I think Dockhead started a thread recently about one of those...

-Chris
Old 19-05-2016, 07:44   #18

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I've always admired Hylas. There are some older ones in your price range.
I agree. I saw a gorgeous one at Annapolis this year. like the Oyster, I had assumed that they were out of our price range. I'll go out and check some of the older models.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:08   #19

Hylas
Hallberg Rassey
Passport
Nauticat
IP
Not sure which have pilot house or raised saloon versions but it sounds like you might want to consider that.. more open feeling with the right version. You might like that even better than a CC.
Even big traditional type feel cave-ish. A big open pilot house feels very nice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 08:19   #20

Scarlet, consider motor sailors very carefully. There are some good ones, but many dont sail well at all. I did a delivery from Hawaii to SF in a European built (I dont remember the maker) motor sailor that was pricey, but sailed like a pig. That is not to say that all motorsailors perform badly, but you need to be aware of the difference. I owned a Peterson 44 for many years and it sailed wonderfully, but didnt have big windows or much view from down below. The Formosa 46 ( same design as the Peterson) has the more traditional wood work that you like and sails very well. These are older boats so you would want one that had been through a major refit. You have a big enough budget that I would recommend spending some of it on a couple of charters in boats that you think are suitable. Most large charter companies only supply almost new tupperware type boats with lots of formica and too many bunks, but if you go through an agency and tell them what you want, they can usually find what you want to tryout. Charters are pricey, but could save you money and grief in the long run. Best of luck to you. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:05   #21

The best way is to just go out and look at some boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ywpilothouse.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	124567  
Attached Images

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 09:54   #22

Boat: Irwin, Sloop, 28

I agree with the newer boats looking like cheap wood. I'm a younger guy and would prefer the older boats just for the interiors I see in new boats. They charge more for much less of quality. I've been looking myself for a newer boat but can't find with decent interiors.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Macncheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:00   #23

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Scarlet, consider motor sailors very carefully. . ____Grant.
I've only been sailing for a few years.. so, I apologize for sounding ignorant... but, what is a "motor sailor"?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 19:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I've only been sailing for a few years.. so, I apologize for sounding ignorant... but, what is a "motor sailor"?
A sailboat with smaller sails and bigger motor than a regular sailboat. Generally are bigger and fatter IE roomier than a sailboat of the same length. The shape and size means the boat doesn't sail as well hence the need for a bigger motor.

And when you ask, there's no real hard and fast rule about the dividing line between sailboat and motorsailor. Some are obviously one or the other but there's a gray area in the middle where it's up for debate.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 22:27   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

A large MotorSailer

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:11   #26

Boat: Tartan 4100

I believe the Bristol's fit your requirements nicely plus they are of classic lines and decent performers. Looks at the models between 1980 to the early-mid 90's when they ceased production. The 43.3 is one of my favorites, very liveable and can be had for about 100 grand less than your budget, saving $$$ for your cruising kitty and upgrades.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 06:45   #27

Bristol's are a little confined down below though. All traditional portholes and no large open windows.
Old 20-05-2016, 07:13   #28

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Bristol's are a little confined down below though. All traditional portholes and no large open windows.
Yes, they are more traditional below, but that's also a safety feature, less distance to get thrown when the boat lurches as opposed to many of the modern condos that push the beam to the max. Plus the OP, Scarlet< was looking for a traditional wood interior and the Bristols are hard to beat in that regard.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:53   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Why do you desire a center cockpit?
I ask as that really limits the number of boats to look at, and as with everything is has it's advantages, and disadvantages.
From what you seem to want the Hunter 42" Passage would fit the bill or at least be worth looking at, but I think you need to really define what you mean by "Safe Bluewater" and what your realistic sailing plans really are.
I know this is Heretical, but here goes. For most people a "real Bluewater" boat isn't practical or necessary. Like the Soccer Mom driving the Humvee type of vehicle isn't.
Humvee can climb over three foot walls, go through deep mud and all kinds of off road stuff, but rides rough, eats gas and is oversized for parking and maneuvering, etc. etc.
Unlikely Soccer Mom is climbing any walls on her way to the Mall or to pick up the kids from School, so it's a waste of money and impractical, but I guess all her friends have one.

Lets say a Bluewater" boat is an expedition boat capable of safe high latitude sailing.
That doesn't come without some sacrifices and expense, and for cruising around the Caribbean, it's as much of a waste and impractical as having a Humvee to run to the Mall.

So, do you have need of a "Bluewater" boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:27   #30

This thread is dangerously close to becoming a "what is bluewater" thread...