Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 12:37   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic
Boat selection cruising from FL to Venezula

I have been out of boating for 15 years. Lived on a Morgan 41 (the outhouse) for six years Great liveaboard, not the best sailor. Made the island hopping trip to Venezuela on it without any problems. This next and last time back on the water(getting old), I am looking for something a little better at going to wind and running. I have been looking at 375/376 hunters and 37.5 beneteaus. I have heard all the horror stories about the underbuilt hunters. I have chartered the Beneteau's from several spots in the lesser Antilies. I think that it is adequate for my needs. What is the experience from liveaboard/cruisers making that trip and cruising the Bahamas the big islands and the windwards and leewards.
Thanks for any input you might have.
Lynne
Lynnenorring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:00   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Boat selection cruising from FL to Venezula

Probably what you have heard is mostly from the boat bashers that live on the internet forums as they seem interested in the bashing as a sport and as a chance to sound all salty. A 375 etc would do you well. If you really liked your old 41 you could look for a now fairly old 41 Classic, which is a 41 with a modern fin keel built by Catalina after they acquired Morgan.
Old 12-05-2014, 13:16   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic

sailor boy,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have been looking at the 416 Morgalina's. They do sail better but I was hoping to try something a little different. To start with I was looking for an easier engine setup. As I said I am getting pretty old to be cramped in the aft passageway and draped over the head of a Perkins 4-154 working on a generator or the back side of the engine. The Hunters and Beneteaus seem to have a lot easier access to the engine. The only strength issue with the Hunter is hoisting the main, which apparently is tough. I will install an electric winch for that. Glad to see that everyone isn't negative on the Hunter legend. It is pretty boat and I know it sails well as a coastal cruiser.
Thanks for you input.
Lynnenorring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:27   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnenorring View Post
The only strength issue with the Hunter is hoisting the main, which apparently is tough.
well we all get there (especially early season as I found last weekend that it seems to have gotten heavier) and that has nothing to do with any boat brand

think of a furling main or a track slide system from like Tides Marine (a lot easier to hoist)

far as a Hunter goes check them out on the below link for info and owners reviews if you are interested in people who own them opinions (I like mine just fine), beware you will need to grow extra skin if you read forums

Tags
cruising