Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 05:47   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Boat recommendations please...

The wife and I have decided to go cruising again after a 13 year stint on land. We are now in search of our next boat. Our last boat was a Catalina/Morgan 44 Nelson Mereck designed center cockpit sloop. For the most part we loved the boat and many of it's features. We now want a boat that has a bit more bluewater capability but still ICW friendly. So basically I am looking for a 45-55 footer with a mast height of less than 65' and a draft less than about 7'. I looked at a 54 Gulfstar Sailcruiser motorsailer. I liked the space, but am afraid it will not sail well at all. My current short list is as follows:

1. 48 Tayana Center Cockpit
2. 47 Tayana Center Cockpit
3. 46 Hylas Center Cockpit

I am looking for additions to this list as well as comments and experience with these boats. Thank you all in advance.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 13:40   #2

Re: Boat recommendations please...

Hylas 46 all the way. Decent boat, good bw capabilities.
Saline Canine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 14:00   #3

Also looking at the Hylas 44...
Old 15-01-2013, 04:48   #4

Boat: Rhodes 32
I tried to write a comparison of the 46 and 48 because we seem to get this question often.
http://www.jordanyachts.com/archives/2230
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 05:49   #5
cruiser

Don't forget to add Island Packet, Oyster and Hallberg-Rassy to your list of center cockpit boats in the 44-54 foot range.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 06:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't forget to add Island Packet, Oyster and Hallberg-Rassy to your list of center cockpit boats in the 44-54 foot range.
All great boats, but most of them are out of my price range. I am looking to have a turn key boat under 300k (I should have mentioned my budget in the original post). Also many of these boats are not ICW capable with rigs in excess of 65'.
Old 15-01-2013, 11:39   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
The wife and I have decided to go cruising again after a 13 year stint on land. We are now in search of our next boat. Our last boat was a Catalina/Morgan 44 Nelson Mereck designed center cockpit sloop. For the most part we loved the boat and many of it's features. We now want a boat that has a bit more bluewater capability but still ICW friendly. So basically I am looking for a 45-55 footer with a mast height of less than 65' and a draft less than about 7'. I looked at a 54 Gulfstar Sailcruiser motorsailer. I liked the space, but am afraid it will not sail well at all. My current short list is as follows:

1. 48 Tayana Center Cockpit
2. 47 Tayana Center Cockpit
3. 46 Hylas Center Cockpit

I am looking for additions to this list as well as comments and experience with these boats. Thank you all in advance.
C&C Landfall 48. Not CC, but a fantastic cockpit with great pilot house to boot.
svgaladriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:54   #8

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

I was looking at Cabo Ricos and saw this. I think it ticks most of the boxes you mention.

1993 Cambria 46 by Cabo Rico Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Another thought could be a Liberty 458

Good Luck with your search.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:45   #9

I was very happy with our Stevens 47 (predecessor to the Hylas) - you might consider one and save $$.
I have also sailed about 100 hours on a Tayana 48. It will by a drier ride than the Hylas/Stevens.
It may sound silly but I hate doing any teak work so the Hylas would be #1 IMHO.
Have fun shopping!
tookish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:43   #10

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

We sailed an early 1990's model 50' Beneteau through all the Lesser Antilles a while back. We were actually quite impressed with its seaworthiness in some boisterous conditions. Some years later I took a charter trip on a later model (2000 or later) of the same boat and was not nearly as impressed. The one we we thought was well-designed and well-built was a (circa) 1995 Beneteau 50, I think. I remember later reading the blog of a couple of guys who sailed one around the world.

I gather Beneteaus can be pretty hit or miss as Water boats">blue water boats, with some models performing quite well and others to be avoided. This particular one seemed to be well done, for what it's worth.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 17:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I like the Hylas/Stevens boats. We were looking at a 44 when the offer was accepted on the boat we bought. If looking again, that's probably where I'd start and end.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:02   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8

What's your budget?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 05:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What's your budget?
Under 300k turn key, ready to cruise.
Old 16-01-2013, 07:43   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I'd look for a Passport 44 CC, Bristol 45.5 CC or 51.1 CC (I'm partial to Bristols).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:47   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

Capt Alex,
If you've not been on-board a Catalina 470, do yourself the favor of doing so before you make any decisions on what boat you may want for your further offshore cruising/voyaging....
And do some in-depth research into what their design/manufacture has taken into account....
(not the least of which is a nice underbody hull design that does not pound in a seaway, but is also fast and maneuverable, and a hull, structural grid, deck, keel, rudder, etc. that is more robust that most "bluewater vessels", many of which are 10' larger, including Hylas'....no rudder issues with the 470!!!....
And not to forget, the nice full-sized aft cabin w/ queen island berth, in an aft cockpit boat!!!)

I looked at Hylas' (seriously was considering the Hylas 46), Tayana's, Hinckley's etc. (I grew up sailing on a Hinckley, but alas I cannot afford one!), before I even stepped onto a Catalina 470....
(like many, I had thought of Catalina's as "coastal cruisers", but looking into the C470 opened my eyes to the fact that Gerry Douglas REALLY did design this one to be a true bluewater offshore cruiser.....sorry to say it, but that isn't the case with some of the rest of their product line....)

Yachts and boats for sale - Catalina Yachts

Here are some further info, details, and photos...
C470 Projects by Boat Name

And, here are two Youtube videos of my two most recent Atlantic crossings on my Catalina 470, s/v Annie Laurie.....

Alex, having started cruising offshore and island hoping, as a kid in the mid 1960's, making my first Atlantic crossing in the late 1970's (on a Hinckley), etc....please understand that my dream boat is a Hinckley SW-52, but since I was a couple million dollars short, I went with my second choice...
(oh, and the lack of exterior brightwork means a LOT less work!!!)

In addition to the great boat, you get great support thru one of the most active and experienced owners groups around (worldwide), as well as support directly from the factory in St. Pete, FL.....where you can call, and get Gerry Douglas (or Frank Butler) himself on the phone in just a couple minutes, and ask some questions.....whether you bought a "new" Catalina or one that's 10+ years old, or even if you're "just looking", and don't even own one!!! (how many other boat manuf. can provide that??? not many....)

Okay, I'm sorry if I sound like a salesman..... I'm NOT!!!
It's just that you wrote about considering a Hylas (which is exactly where I was about 10 years ago), and that you already did previously own a Catalina/Morgan (albeit not the quickest of the fleet), so I thought I'd pass on my thoughts....

Wishing you fair winds and good luck....
(if you desire more info/advice, get in touch directly or via PM....and I'll bend your ear...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote