Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 10:02   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Boat recommendations please...

I like the Catalina / Morgan 43/44 like the one you had. What was it about that boat that makes you of the opinion it was not blue water capable? It is on my list for my next boat and have spent some time on the 43. Was there places you did not want to sail in it for fear of boat strength?
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:09   #17

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Alex,
We may have exactly what you need. DESTINY is a Bristol 45.5 center cockpit currently anchored off Peanut Island in Palm Beach. We just updated a post to the Cruiser's Forum under classifieds. See www.saildestiny.com (tab at top for specs) or find the post here and click on the link to our website provided there. We also looked at the Hylas 44 and 46 and settled on the Bristol because the Hylas's in our price range were pretty old and not comparable to the current Hylas. We have just returned to FL from Mallorca, Spain in November after 5 years living aboard, 4 of them in the Med. DESTINY is turn key and ready to go. Contact info is on our website.
sail_destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:53   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Alex,
I forgot to mention a few things about the Catalina 470, that you mentioned were specific criteria...

a) The mast height / air draft is 63' 6".....(and I've not had any issues with the fixed 65' bridge just a few hundred yards away from my dock!)

b) The C470 was offered with two keel/draft choices (6' or 8').....most 470's (like mine) have the shoal draft 6' keel (9750lbs of lead)....

c) She is very "bluewater capable".....(many have crossed an ocean or two, including mine, making two Atlantic crossings....and I ended up with a few full-gales heading eastbound, and 3 days thru a Tropical Storm heading westbound....)

d) She will easily "outsail" a Gulfstar, hands down (and can do it with only the mainsail!!)
And, she can also "outsail" the Hylas 46, (I've personally done so), and possibly even the Tayana's (although sail shape/age and skill of the crew would be the determining factor here, and when up against boats much larger as well....)

Okay, enough of the sale pitch.....just get out and have a look at a Catalina 470, and I think you'll add her to your list of possibilities....

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:13   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail many... buy one that makes your heart beat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:32   #20

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
I like the Catalina / Morgan 43/44 like the one you had. What was it about that boat that makes you of the opinion it was not blue water capable? It is on my list for my next boat and have spent some time on the 43. Was there places you did not want to sail in it for fear of boat strength?
Nothing specific scared me. I just was not comfortable doing serious water sailing">blue water sailing on it. With a shoal draft of just 5 feet she did not like sailing to weather. I was constantly reefing the main to reduce sail. Without roller furling it got old pretty quickly. I suppose if equipped properly and sailed conservatively it would be safe. Also, mine only held 50 gallons of diesel. That's not enough for me to comfortably go across the Atlantic. I have issues with the construction of the hull. Mine seemed rock solid.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:36   #21

John, I'll have a look at the C47. I am open to any and all boats that fit my criteria. Thanks for the great information!
Old 16-01-2013, 13:36   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

NO boat LIKES to sail to weather. they make ye work like dogs ye are for so doing.

each soul likes a different kind of boat, so a recommendation then purchase could well be a mistake for ye--you need to sail then buy. goodluck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sail many... buy one that makes your heart beat....
Great advice!
Old 17-01-2013, 18:07   #24

Hey Capt. Alex, take a look at example of an extremely capable and very proven center-cockpit cutter (Spindrift 43-#1) that, after about 35,000 miles of safe and comfortable bluewater cruising, is currently in Pago Pago(American Samoa); and this one-owner, Southern California based boat is for sale there because live-aboard owner just turned 80, and after 14 years continuous offshore cruising the whole Pacific (stretching from BC to Panama, including Hawaii, Mexico, Central America; from Panama to Galapogos, then to ALL the S. Pacific island countries as far west as New Caledonia, including two stints in NZ, Tonga, and Samoa) has decided to hang it up! But boat is virtually ready for a new owner and much more Pacific cruising adventures. See www.sywindcastle.blogspot.com.
Doug Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 06:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nash View Post
Hey Capt. Alex, take a look at example of an extremely capable and very proven center-cockpit cutter (Spindrift 43-#1) that, after about 35,000 miles of safe and comfortable bluewater cruising, is currently in Pago Pago(American Samoa); and this one-owner, Southern California based boat is for sale there because live-aboard owner just turned 80, and after 14 years continuous offshore cruising the whole Pacific (stretching from BC to Panama, including Hawaii, Mexico, Central America; from Panama to Galapogos, then to ALL the S. Pacific island countries as far west as New Caledonia, including two stints in NZ, Tonga, and Samoa) has decided to hang it up! But boat is virtually ready for a new owner and much more Pacific cruising adventures. See www.sywindcastle.blogspot.com.
Sounds like a great boat, but I prefer one that is on my side of the planet, I am unfortunately in Florida.
Old 18-01-2013, 21:35   #26

I am enjoying ease dropping on this thread. I will soon retire from the US Army after 32 years of service and never want to see another friggin mountain range in my life. If the dock has too many steps I may move... anyway very interesting reading all the comments about different boats. I am in the market for a cruiser... slow is OK with me... I'm never going to hurry up and wait or stand in line for food again. I'll keep reading. Thanks for the info.
dweber74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 00:53   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweber74 View Post
I am enjoying ease dropping on this thread. I will soon retire from the US Army after 32 years of service and never want to see another friggin mountain range in my life. If the dock has too many steps I may move... anyway very interesting reading all the comments about different boats. I am in the market for a cruiser... slow is OK with me... I'm never going to hurry up and wait or stand in line for food again. I'll keep reading. Thanks for the info.
G'Day dwebeer,

First, thanks for your long service to us all. Second, mountain ranges look really good when seen from your cockpit at sea level, and there is no reason whatsoever to get closer!

Enjoy your retirement and your cruising.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-01-2013, 14:22   #28

I'm sure the whole world will look entirely different from the cockpit while cruising and I'm looking forward to it. 53 days and a wakeup. Does anyone have any experience or comments on a Hanse 531? Got my eye on two. From reading the specs it looks comfortable and ideal for cruising shorthanded. My other question is would it be prudent to hire a surveyor and what legal liability do they have? Tks for the info.
dweber74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:04   #29

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Hunter 50cc.

Our Hunter 44DS has been an awesome cruising boat for the past 3 years. But if I were going to do it again (with a bigger budget), I would go with the Hunter 50cc in a heartbeat.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote