Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 07:50   #46

Re: Boat pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
I have also learned so called "cult-boats" are very high.
True that. But they have to be kept in bristol condition to be sold at "cult prices" Otherwise it's just an overpriced has been. This is the trap many unsuspecting newbies fall into getting tired and unkempt Sabres or some such as they have (had?) a good reputation initially. But many of the sellers resting on these laurels think that they can sell a tired boat for the badge fame price.

2 or 3 years ago a guy at our mooring field refurbished an old and tired Sabre 34 which he got for relatively not cheap and tried to sell it for much more hoping to recoup his reburb costs. Did not happen, dropped the asking price in stages from initial $49K to low $20s and that's where it sold I believe, if not lower. He initially got it probably for $10-15K which was way too much for the condition it was in so he basically paid that much for the badge name. And invested in parts and labor way more than what he got in return. And suprising thing the guy wasn't really a newbie but may be enamored with the Sabre name. Although both of my marine pro buddies think that Sabre brand name is way over valued and place them with Pearsons (or even a notch below), Catalinas, O'days and some such.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 08:43   #47

Yeah, refurb costs are often near give away. Keep that in mind as a seller or a buyer. People do get emotional about their boats. Often thinking "their" boat is certainly worth more than another sellers.
I once sold a nicely refurbished boat. I had an offer on it and countered. The buyer was playing "hard to get" and not responding to my counter. meanwhile a full price offer came in! The first buyer got really pissed, even followed the boat thru survey taking video. Almost ended up in a lawsuit on that one. But eventually he backed off.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 10:39   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
Does the Broker assume any liability at all when they sell a boat?
Just to keep everyone honest?
To be honest, not much. A broker could be held liable if he/she deliberately misrepresented the condition of the boat or withheld information about serious problems with the boat. This can and does happen but it's rare.

99% of the time a broker only knows what the owner says about the boat and what can be seen by the broker in a cursory inspection. The inspection will be mainly focused on how the boat shows; is it dirty, head stinks, sails OK, engine cranks, etc and not on underlying structural issues.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 12:23   #49

And then coupled with a good survey it sounds like a plan...

Thanks!

M
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 12:32   #50

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, refurb costs are often near give away. Keep that in mind as a seller or a buyer. People do get emotional about their boats. Often thinking "their" boat is certainly worth more than another sellers.
I once sold a nicely refurbished boat. I had an offer on it and countered. The buyer was playing "hard to get" and not responding to my counter. meanwhile a full price offer came in! The first buyer got really pissed, even followed the boat thru survey taking video. Almost ended up in a lawsuit on that one. But eventually he backed off.
What you did sounds more than fair!
And I recognize people like this, unfortunately. I work with them all the time. Hopefully not for too much longer.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 15:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
What you did sounds more than fair!
And I recognize people like this, unfortunately. I work with them all the time. Hopefully not for too much longer.
The first buyer had said to the broker on the phone that he wouldn't pay my counteroffer. To us that was a rejection of the counter. There were other details too.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote