Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 07:54   #1

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Boat on the Bottom

I have recently purchased a home on a canal where I have now docked my Gulfstar 50. Draft is about 5 1/2 with an encapsulated keel and on a few days out of the month when the water level gets low enough the boat is on the bottom and leaning a good 10-15 degrees. I am worried about what damage this could cause to the boat over time. I've had a few locals give me ideas to get some of the sand out, mainly to tie my tender to the bow and run it for several hours so the outboard can blow some of the sand out.

My docking space is also wide, I have the boat against the dock which is the shallower side, I can place the boat a few feet out in deeper water but I would then just need to make a bridge so I can get onto the boat.

How serious is this problem beyond being inconvenient? I know a lot of guys will beach their boats intentionally to do bottom jobs, but having the boat lay like that as often as it does is worrying me.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:12   #2

Re: Boat on the Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
I have recently purchased a home on a canal where I have now docked my Gulfstar 50. Draft is about 5 1/2 with an encapsulated keel and on a few days out of the month when the water level gets low enough the boat is on the bottom and leaning a good 10-15 degrees. I am worried about what damage this could cause to the boat over time. I've had a few locals give me ideas to get some of the sand out, mainly to tie my tender to the bow and run it for several hours so the outboard can blow some of the sand out.

My docking space is also wide, I have the boat against the dock which is the shallower side, I can place the boat a few feet out in deeper water but I would then just need to make a bridge so I can get onto the boat.

How serious is this problem beyond being inconvenient? I know a lot of guys will beach their boats intentionally to do bottom jobs, but having the boat lay like that as often as it does is worrying me.
My kneejerk response is there's not likely to be any effect on the boat.

For peace of mind and to make sure you can leave when you want, built the ramp.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:29   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Your Gulfstar 50 has a long encapsulated fin and the skeg hung rudder appears to be shallower than the keel. I would think it could take to ground in your slip with no problems if there isn't a worry about swells or big wakes. Lots of boats in the UK dry out daily. If she lays over too far you could arrange stilts to keep her upright.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:32   #4

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking as well, Its just nice to hear it from others.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote