Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2013, 21:40   #1

Boat: 27 Catalina
boat insurance

Im just looking for a real idea here and I know it can vary but what would you think I would pay for Insurance for a Catalina 27 77 year model. Again I know it will vary. I have the boat in my back yard in Bulverde Tx and hope to have it at the Corpus Christi Marina [assuming I can get a slip]by next Spring or sooner. Im just trying to figure out and average monthly allowance needed to keep the boat in a marina.

Old 15-08-2013, 21:50   #2

Re: boat insurance

I guess I would have read a little further down the threads I would have seen BIB yikes I not looking forward to 1000 $ yr ins.

Old 16-08-2013, 00:10   #3

I did a Boat US online free quote its pretty easy and the'll email you your quote in a day or two.
Old 16-08-2013, 06:50   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

I was able to get liability only coverage on my Pearson or 170 for 6 months. All depends where you look and where you're located.
Old 16-08-2013, 07:20   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

If you have a subscription to Practical Sailor or know someone who does they had an excellent article on how to go about getting the right insurance for your vessel. Anyone who has a subscription can get archived copies for free online, if not you can purchase a copy of the articles.
It's an excellent guide that explains all the ins and out and how not to get burned, they also rate how well the different companies respond when things go wrong, which is just as important.
I recently used the advice to obtain insurance for our newly purchased Cheoy Lee 47, with a cash value agreed upon number in the case of total loss. all told with all the coverage I was able to get a policy for around $1400.00 for complete coverage including the max amount for spill and pollution coverage. The max the Coast Guard can write you up for in the case of a sinking and the need to recover spill damage (oil, fuel containment, etc) is $864,000.00, that's something to consider when purchasing a policy.
It would be well worth looking into.
When you come to the table prepared with all the information in hand most reputable independent marine insurance agencies will respond accordingly.
Old 16-08-2013, 09:10   #6

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasngo View Post
Im just looking for a real idea here and I know it can vary but what would you think I would pay for Insurance for a Catalina 27 77 year model. Again I know it will vary. I have the boat in my back yard in Bulverde Tx and hope to have it at the Corpus Christi Marina [assuming I can get a slip]by next Spring or sooner. Im just trying to figure out and average monthly allowance needed to keep the boat in a marina.
Here in texas if you do not plan to live aboard and go further than 75NM off shore you will find Progressive is hard to beat.
Old 16-08-2013, 21:13   #7

Thanks for the input. I called USAA today and they passed me on to Progressive and yes the quote for a 15,000 value late 70s Catalina 27 came in at 667$. I can live with that. Im sure when it gets down to the fine print it might vary a bit but Im splitting the cost with a friend for the slip and Ins. so it looks like about 150$ a month a piece to keep the boat in a slip and insured. I can blow a 150 on beer and food in a short weekend

Tags
insurance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: