Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2012, 16:20   #1

Boat: S2 11.0
Boat history reports: worth it and reliable?

I'm considering buying a boat and I have the hull ID#. Just as there's carfax for checking the history of autos, there seems to be a boat history report for boats. My question is: are they reliable and thorough and worth the $35 they typically cost? Is there another way to find boat history?

Old 11-11-2012, 19:17   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Boat history reports: worth it and reliable?

I would say, save the $35. Hire a surveyor . Then hire a diesel mechanic. Hire a diver to look at the bottom. Hire a rigger . Whew ! I just saved you $35.

Old 11-11-2012, 19:39   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Hire the guy who made the prior post! Boat history reports are worthless or worse, misleading
Old 20-11-2012, 08:27   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hello FruiVita,

Abreeze is correct in that before purchasing a boat, utilizing these resources are important. BoatHistoryReport.com is not a replacement for any of those services but as you can assume, they can cost you thousands of dollars depending on the size of your boat. BoatHistoryReport.com is simply a quick and easy method of checking for negative events and environmental liens in a vessels history. We do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee though and want our customers to be happy with our service so there is no risk in trying us. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to email us at info@boathistoryreport.com or through this link: Used boat history reports search, boat history HIN check at Boat History Report.

Whatever you decide, we wish you lots of luck with your purchase and hope you enjoy many days of happiness on the water FruiVita.

Caroline from BoatHistoryReport.com
Old 21-11-2012, 14:25   #5

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Plus 35 dollars spent first saves $1000 and up for a survey.
Old 21-11-2012, 15:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

If tens of thousands of exactly the same type of boat were made then it would work just like it does for cars because the sampling field would be large enough for the problems/reliability statistics to be relevant. But since identical boats are made in such small numbers then the sampling field is not large enough for the stats to be relevant. This is why we rely on marine surveyors to tell us the condition of each individal boat, just like we rely on an independent mechanic before purchasing a used vehicle.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:46   #7
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I never even knew there was a boat history report. But it seems to me that $35 is a small price compared to the other costs associated with buying a boat and if you had any doubt it may be worth it. I think I would be more open to getting it if the survey showed any repaired hull damage, new wiring or something that would indicate water damage etc.
Old 21-11-2012, 16:01   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Spend the $35 and you might find that the boat is hurricane or flood damaged saving your self a lot more than that for survey and engine ananysis. Pretty small potatoes when you are looking at a major investment. Just my opinion... Phil
Old 21-11-2012, 18:49   #9

Anyone knows where this history information comes from?
Old 21-11-2012, 19:25   #10

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Funnily enough... I found quite a few posts from my boats previous owner to cruisersforum.com asking for help about problems with various areas on the boat (like the radar not scanning and issues with the batteries) which I then was able to ask him about directly. He chuckled... but it gave me another insight into the boat and another bargaining point.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'

Realize this is an old post, but......
I am in the same camp as Capt Phil and Sailor Boy1. I am VERY close (as in hours or minutes) to pulling the trigger on buying a boat. A boat that is 1000 miles away. I HAVE NOT VIEWED THE BOAT. My process is: I make a legal offer, then I have my surveyor complete his survey and test trial. Meanwhile I am committed to the price that the offer went in for. If I could have some document helping me negotiate the sales price BEFORE the offer, the $35 would be worth it. Or even just the information that the report could provide.

The problem is, according to what I have researched, none of the services are definitive. Boatfax and Boathistoryreport may or may not be accurate. Both have many critics on the internet...

To add to the the dilemma, at one time the boat was listed for $124k, and I am getting it at more than half off, but I am 1000 miles from the boat and want to lock in the price! There has been a three year time span in between the price change,,,, three years of hurricanes... The contract to buy (actually the offer) does not allow any misrepresentation of the facts (i.e. boat history) as stated by broker, but at the same time: I am not "RELYING ON ANY ADVERTISEMENTS, PROMISES, DESCRIPTIONS, AFFIRMATIONS, OR REPRESENTATIONS (WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, PRIOR TO OR CONTEMPORANEOUS WITH THIS AGREEMENT) PROVIDED BY THE BROKERS".

I did Google the hull id number and found out very little. This should be the FIRST step in any purchase!

As I ponder my dilemma, which is should I lock in the price and hope for the best [I do have some seriously good information about the boat ("seriously"- as in 99% complete competence and confidence)], or should I get in the truck and drive the 1000 miles and find out the boat looks good, but the seller will not accept my lower offer...

Thank you for allowing me to think out loud. CF forum members are the greatest.

Bill K
Old 04-11-2014, 10:04   #12
Marine Service Provider

Hello BillyBobtx,

Looks like you might have found a great deal. Can you tell us where the boat is located? If we have a team member that is close by, we wouldn't mind taking a look for you. Or possibly someone else on the forum that can help put some eyes on it before you drive 1000 miles.

As far as using a service like ours, we rely on extensive databases to determine if the vessel has a clean history or if it has been a victim of any of the negative events that plague boats and their owners! We work with the National Insurance Crime Bureau, as well as a myriad of other public and private sources to provide the most complete reports possible. Although BoatHistoryReport.com is not a replacement for a complete and thorough survey on the vessels present condition, we are a quick and easy method of checking for negative events in a vessels history before taking the next and final step in completing your purchase. Give us a try- our number one goal is to provide accurate reports and we want our fellow boaters to be happy with our service which is why we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Feel free to reach us via email at info@boathistoryreport.com or phone at 1-800-441-7599. Were happy to chat more with you and answer any questions you may still have.

Let us know about the boat as wed love to help if possible. Good luck and happy boating!

Annie from BoatHistoryReport.com
Old 06-07-2015, 12:01   #13

Annie,

I really want to post something positive, but...

I have tried this service twice now. Once just a few minutes ago and both times did not get anything that a free CG search would not come up with (actually less data than running a free usgov search). It was a complete and total waste of money on both and knowing the history of one of the two boats I ran this against, there was a substantial insurance claim and event. Both searches did not come up with any State information at all for the State of Texas. Neither search came up with claim information that we know the Insurance companies have and don't mind selling data. To equate these with Carfax is ludicrous as at the very least, you have registration events from the time the vehicle was sold. It is not even finding information on a preferred mortgage, so an abstract is still the best $25 spent.

What I believe is misleading on any of these is you should not have to pay $39 if the only information you have is a single owner CG Documentation History.

I went back with an open mind and left with only another $39 deducted from my bank account.

I am bringing an old thread back from the dead and maybe someone could add a positive experience where they did find valuable data and my two separate searches on two separate boats provided zero value. Hopefully others can cite their examples and the two times I tried it was just a fluke.

I like the idea, and I like the concept, but all I got from your service X2 is feeling like an idiot who just threw away $39.

T
Old 06-07-2015, 21:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Hi tdoster,

We are very sorry you had this experience. We strive to help boaters make informed decisions by providing them with a way to access data they could not otherwise easily access. We've been in business for the past 10 years and have always stood behind our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with your report for any reason, let us know and we will refund it. Our goal is to help fellow boaters as much as possible.

Please give us a call (1-800-441-7599) or email (info@boathistoryreport.com) so we can refund your purchase and further discuss any issues or concerns you may have. We wish you the best of luck with your boat search tdoster.

Annie
Old 10-04-2016, 07:15   #15

I have to agree with the other posters that ordering this so-called "report" proved to be a colossal waste of money. It's obvious these people have ZERO history on the 16 year-old boat I questioned. Perhaps it's because I have frequently purchase carfax reports before which raised my expectations. The report I got told me NOTHING...not even state registration information. Turns out the seller was rather well off. Had the boat regularly serviced at dealerships in both Wisconsin and Arkansas and meticulously kept all service records. This was a boat that had regular contact with boat service centers. Furthermore, the boat had been registered in both states. I feel at a MINIMUM boat history should have had that publicly available information. They did have a generic list of Mastercraft recalls, none of which involved this boat. Whoop-tee-doo! I could have gotten that information FREE off Google. If this report didn't have all this positive history how can I expect that it would have any negative? If ANYBODY buys a boat in reliance on one of these "no history" reports they INDEED are an idiot! My old boat has just been totaled. (Swamped with corrosive sea water...but to just look at it all is hunky-dory!) I will wait a couple of months, run the hull number, and see what they say.

Tags
history

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: