Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:26   #1

Boat help (purchase)

Hi,

I have been reading many threads and countless hours looking at boats for sale online and a few boat shows.

We are going to buy a boat next year and have hit a point in the research/planning where we need some opinions.

Budget??? We don't want anymore boat then we need for cost reasons but don't want to regret it either. So we figure a 35-38'. That is for a high volume newer boat. One of the issues is the costs associated with length or $"X" per foot.

But, an older boat might cost less (to buy) and look nice.

We don't have the experience to fully understand what the over all difference would be if we narrowed down the choice to a 2000-ish, 37' benne/jeanneau and a Pearson 422. Just 2 examples.

So a budget of $50-80K would be nice. I wonder if it would be better to stretch the initial budget for a newer boat and less refit?

For an older boat, it would mean needing to go longer and that seems like it would be more expensive over the years. Engine, rigging and $X/foot ect....

Family of 4 in New England but would like to move the boat to Florida/Islands for an occasional winter for use during school vacations.

What do you think?

Thanks,

David
dkelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:42   #2

Re: Boat help (purchase)

"We don't have the experience to fully understand what the over all difference would be if we narrowed down the choice to a 2000-ish, 37' benne/jeanneau and a Pearson 422.."
I'm not fully understanding the question, but if you mean maintenance on those two for instance, Bottom paint wont be significant, as the older boats usually have shorter waterline length... so It's possible they both have near the same length.
Cost to buy is all about condition. An ex charter Beneteau with high engine hours may be no less maintenance than an older Pearson that has been refit. What is significant are the big items:
-Engine age and condition
-Sail condition
-Tank condition and location -replaceable?
-Deck core wet? (or hull if cored)
-Bolt on keel? removing and rebedding is fairly costly.
-Rudder? (many are saturated with water. On my 1992 Catamaran, one was in 1999.
After about 7-8 years, new or old, things start to fail. Pumps, refrig, sails, rigging etc. SO whether a 2009 boat or a 1990 boat... lt's about what's been done.
When looking at/comparing boats, place little value on a long list of old electronics, old water makers etc. Buy "good bones".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:45   #3

A word of caution though... refitting/repairing seldom is as easy as thought. Will take 3 times as long as you think, you will find 50% more problems in the process. So get a boat as "near perfect " as possible. You will find that near perfect boat has plenty of issues. Way too many "projects" are never finished with owner disillusioned....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Here's a DIY Boat Buying Self-Education sticky I cobbled together. Just be warned, it's like Alice going down the rabbit hole. Lots of good info though. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2206710

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase