Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2011, 08:20   #1

Boat for the Pacific ?

hi,
just after some opinions to help me with my plans of getting my own yacht. ive got another thread here in dollars and sense that covers some of what im looking for cost wise but thought if i shared what my plans and ideas were i may be able to get some help to narrow down my choices.

the area i want to explore is the pacific and the many islands, good surf and spearfishing up that way. i am looking into what type of boat will suit this best, realising that there are many different opinions on this. what im trying to figure out is the balance between something that will be safe, sturdy and comfortable enough and something that may be more than is necessary for cruising in that area, im not planning on heading too far south and so most my time will be based up in the tropics.

have been told that something with shallow draught is a bonus for the shallower reef passes but would still like some blue water stability and wondering what other ideas other people had out there as far as design went or any other thoughts of what would suit the plans and this area.

i have been thinking along the lines of a ketch as the smaller sail area can make it a but easier to handle, as i do not want to have to wait for other crew if i need to move somewhere, and have thought of looking for a steel hull as well. these are not set in stone and i am still in the process of working out what will suit my style the best, while trying to figure out my style. i have given myself another 6-8 months to find the right one.

any help and opinions would be appreciated. thanks. josh

Old 18-10-2011, 08:37   #2

Re: boat for the pacific?

just some additional thoughts as to what im looking for, not after something that has to be fast, am quite happy to cruise to where i have to get to, would like the weight carrying ability to be able to take along enough supplies and have the set up to sustain myself in remote areas for a while. am a bit fan of keeping thing simple, as this reduces the maintenance cost and time (know that ideas of simple are objective). i am looking for something around the 40 - 45 ft mark. i would also like to stay away from wooden decks and roller reefing systems. again these are all just thoughts i have and seeing what others think. know theres no right or wrong answer.
any ideas of boats that i should have a look at or design areas that would be desirable/undesirable would be great to hear. thanks,
josh

Old 19-10-2011, 22:28   #3

Ok, it has to be said your question is very open.However if it's any help my family and I have been cruising for 8 1/2 years and have just arrived in Hong Kong. We have 2 children now 11 and 14. What are we sailing you may ask? Well it's a 38" westerly a very English boat after all that's where we left from.Why do we like this size because with one you can sail but with two adults it's easy and to be honest that's what you want. Roller reefing is easy and you can reduce to any size without leaving the cockpit a real advantage at night when the wind drops or increases so think about this before you decide. If you are racing it's the only option to Hank on sails but to cruise I'm not so sure.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Our cruising so far in pacific is Galapagos, Easter Island (8 months)Chile, Australs, Raratonga ,Nuie , Tonga, and Fiji. I could go further but that's enough for now.
Old 19-10-2011, 22:40   #4
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Boat for the Pacific ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I have been told that something with shallow draught is a bonus for the shallower reef passes but would still like some blue water stability and wondering what other ideas other people had out there as far as design went or any other thoughts of what would suit the plans and this area.
The people who swear by shallow draft--or as you say, draught--tend to spend more time in the Atlantic than the Pacific.

Those of us who spend most of our time in the Pacific tend to appreciate a bit more keel.
Old 19-10-2011, 23:05   #5

We have 5' and has never stopped us going anywhere how shallow do you think you need?
Old 20-10-2011, 01:13   #6

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

You might want to look at a Seawind catamaran or some other multi-hull. A cat will be great to dive off of and shallow water is there thing as well, like beaching at low tide like some Aussies like to do Catamarans are truly a Pacific boat
Old 24-10-2011, 21:54   #7

hey,
thanks for getting back to me. yeah i know the question was a bit open ended and general, but just trying to get an idea for what design features different people found best for this type of cruising, though everyones got different ideas between needs and wants.

pagos: would be great to hear some more about your travels and things you've encountered in these areas. maybe would be easier to chat via email, my address is joshknox@yahoo.com. ive been though a few places out that way, though not always sailing. i have spent a bit of time in tahiti, vanuatu and done some sailing in fiji, enjoyed them all. the question of draft (draught, whatever) is something mentioned by a few people ive spoken too so great to hear that it hasnt stopped you from going anywhere.

webejammin: last trip i did was on a cat, and your right they are great for all those things, and the extra space is awesome. but looking at my budget and goals and the extra money that cats cost, im gonna stick with my plan of a mono. but yeah have thought about it.
Old 25-10-2011, 00:44   #8
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

How much do you have to spend? Since you are cruising the pacific islands you may as well start in the USA where boats are half the price. I suggest a budget of $150K min for a boat the size you are after. Costs will balloon once you start replacing old stuff on a new boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: