Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 02:39   #1

Boat: FP Orana 44
Boat for Singlehanded World Cruise

I’m looking to set out on an ~5 year bluewater cruise. I target to spend around $150K on the boat sail away ready. I will start alone but want to be able to take on guests. Given that I’m also quite tall at 6’6”, I think that ~40 foot is the right size.

I’m 50y old and have been racing high performance dinghies in International level most of my life. My cruising experience is much more limited, but I have done a 2 months cruise up/down the California coast on a Catalina 380 as well as a 2 months in the Bahamas.

My current boats are a trawler for cruising and for sailing a 19 feet sports boat which I’m single-handing from the trapeze including gennaker (600 lbs boat, 500 sqf sail). Here lies my problem. I really like high performance sailboats but this might be opposite of an ideal single handed world cruiser.

I’m going around and around on boat choices and to start off I’m thinking in terms of major priorities.

Comfort on the hook. I believe that most of the time is spent on the hook so being comfortable should be highest priority. Most of the time is probably spent in the cockpit or bed so they should be spacious and comfortable.

Fun to sail Island hopping. To me this is performance. When family sailing I always run around tuning the boat (the racer in me that will not go away)

Comfortable and safe ocean crossing. Off course I don’t want to die, but I rather being uncomfortable on a 3 weeks ocean crossing and have the perfect boat when arrived at the new local cruising grounds. What is safe enough is of course a thought I’m wrestling with especially as I want to be able to single hand it across an ocean.

To start with I been thinking the Caliber 38/40 to be the ideal boat for me but I’m starting to change my mind and two other boats are now on top of the list:

Beneteau First 42s7: Great sailing performance with a decent floor plan the most negative being the galley which likely is far from ideal at sea. Given the design is to withstand offshore racing it should be strong enough for ocean passage making. My biggest concern is whilst I think it can handle tough ocean weather with a crew I’m less sure about it single handed (when **** happens more hands help)

Beneteau 393: Great boat on the hook and good headroom (I’m 6’6”). Doesn’t sail as well as the 42s7 but certainly better than the Caliber. In terms of safety, its interesting that only two out of 30+ evaluated Beneteaus (393, 473) have a STIX number greater than its length. The Bene 393’s STIX is at 43, the same as an example the IP 370.

I don’t want to start another Bene / blue water debate, but looking for inputs of other suitable boats for me meeting following criteria:
- $150K sail away price
- Better sailing performance than Caliber 38/40
- Comfortable interior with good headroom
- Ocean crossing capable single handed.
- The newer the better but not older than 1990

Thanks and Cheers
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 03:00   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
How about this:

1997 Fabola Diva 451 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Or this (I'm very partial to Wauquiz's for obvious reasons):

1996 Wauquiez Centurion 41 S Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 19-02-2010, 10:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I think that you will have a hard time finding a quality 40 foot boat that can go around the world and that is relatively new for 100 k ( you will need 50 k to upgrade it) You haven't mentioned how much you are willing to get your hands dirty...
And is that to go around the world with little or no repairs?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 10:31   #4

Something like this would be perfect, you and your boyfriend will love it.
Little Cruiser
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 10:37   #5

Just my .02

IMHO and speaking generalitites. There are three things that usually do not go together very well. That is performance, comfort and ease of single handing. For my choice, I would most definately choose a full keel boat for what you are planning. But with a full keel boat you can keep comfort in the equazion, but performance for the most part goes out the window. Full keel boats track very well, but do not go to weather very good, and they are usually slower than fins. Also, generally the full keelers have larger tankage, located in the bilge area, keeping weight low and centered, and again generalities have more comfortable motions. Their tracking abilities are much better than a fin keel boat, which lends itself well to single handing. I realize that you are a perforance oriented sailor, but for long distance single handed sailing, I would put performance a pretty good way down my list. I would also look for a solid glass hull, as opposed to a cored hull. The cored hull is lighter, meaning more performance, but a cored hull takes much more expertise to repair should something happen in an out of the way place. Keep in mind that older boats, before manufacturers learned more about fiberglass construction, and cost factors became more important, were more heavily built than newer lighter weight boats. I single hand a modified fin keel 37 offshore a lot. It is a very good compromise for myself, as my sailing is about 50 50, offshore and coastal. If my plans were as yours are, I would definately be sailing a full keel boat.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 18:13   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
My friends sail a Koopmans 40 (steel). Fast, safe, easy to handle. Would be my pick if 150k available.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 04:50   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
I kind of want the same thing as the OP, but don't have an age requirement. I think a lot of 1980-1985 boats are in better shape than 1990 boats. Seems the older boats have had a lot of refits, engine rebuilt/replace, etc., but the 1990 boats are at the point where they almost need the refit but haven't had it yet.

So my recommendation Sail IC is to throw out your age limit and look for the boat that meets your other wants and is in good condition.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 05:07   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-27032.html

The boat has been sitting for a while, and the decks are needing some cosmetic attention now. If you dismiss the cosmetics of the decks. I believe she would still be turnkey. I have known the owner for 5 years now. The boat sits maybe 200 feet from me as I type. Don't be shy to make an offer.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 05:17   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-27032.html

The boat has been sitting for a while, and the decks are needing some cosmetic attention now. If you dismiss the cosmetics of the decks. I believe she would still be turnkey. I have known the owner for 5 years now. The boat sits maybe 200 feet from me as I type. Don't be shy to make an offer.......i2f
Nice boat, but I don't think it would meet his "sailing performance" requirement.
Old 20-02-2010, 06:37   #10

Boat: FP Orana 44
We all have different preferences and even if I appreciate the strengths of classical full keel blue water yachts they don’t appeal to me. Hard to put my finger on it, but it probably has to do with my performance sailing background.

After my first round of research I concluded (right or wrong) that the Caliber 38 was the boat closest to my requirements followed by the Passport 40 (too small cockpit?). Most of the blue water cruising community would probably agree these are sensible boats for blue water cruising.

But then I started thinking a bit more. Most of the time will be spent at anchor. When sailing, most of the time it will be shorter daytrips, some 1-3 days. Longer and ocean crossing will be in clear minority timevice. Perhaps the boat choice should be priorities where most of the time is spent. Additionally, what is better. Newer mass production or older quality. Is it better to buy a new Volkswagen or a used Mercedes?

Taking above into account, the Beneteau 393 might be an excellent choice. Sails well, comfortable interior at rest, and a 5 year old can be bought for ~$125K. The 393 is one of the more seaworthy Beneteaus measured by STIX number.

But maybe a Beneteau 393 is pushing it too far, so what I now is looking for is something in between a Beneteau 393 and a Caliber 38 per below criteria:
- $150K sail away price
- Comfortable interior with good headroom
- Ocean crossing capable single handed.
- The newer the better

The suggested Wauquiez Centurion is one alternative which looks interesting. Is there anything else out there that sails well and have good headroom.

Thanks and Cheers
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:04   #11

Boat: Bristol 38.8
1989 J Boats J-37-C Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

But you would have to move your cutoff date back a year.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 17:31   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Many of the "FIRST" series of the mid to late 80's might fit your needs.. They are as you probably know, designed for open ocean racing.. They'll set hard at 10 to 12 degrees and give you a smother ride the faster you go... and many as the 40.7 or the 38 can be had in very good condition for less than 100k.. around the 42 you'll be looking 100k or better for one in good shape..
If you plan to sail the "Milk Run" you'll be thankful you chose a high aspect rig as much of the air is below 15 knots..
We sail a FIRST 42 and have very little to complain about.. as many that have chosen a FIRST.. they set hard, they run like they're on tracks, and damn'ed if they dont point like a hound dog..
If you have a racing background, The FIRST series will scrach the itch.. in the Mid 80's vintage, the lay-out of the galley in the "U" shape and the Pullman are a plus..
And at the price that they can be had, you've got a top performance cruiser and still have a few bucks to bring her up to todays standards for electronics..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:59   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
I do not think a First or a J-boat are 'singlehanded, round the world boats'. Both types are great boats but in my experience they need to be driven by an active an conscious driver. A singlehander on the round the world trip will appreciate being able to let the boat go by the windvane or by the auto for hours on end to get a good sleep, cook the meal etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 09:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not think a First or a J-boat are 'singlehanded, round the world boats'. Both types are great boats but in my experience they need to be driven by an active an conscious driver. A singlehander on the round the world trip will appreciate being able to let the boat go by the windvane or by the auto for hours on end to get a good sleep, cook the meal etc..

b.
I dont quite understand what you are getting to.. our boat runs on the auto helm and the smart pilot about 90% of the time.. with the sails trimmed proper, there is very little action in the steerage of the boat..
Years ago, I taught a training session for racers in trimming a boat for least resistance on the under surface of the craft.. the goal was to run a "Round the Bouy" course of about 5 miles in San Francisco Bay, dealing with the tides and currents... And Never touch the tiller.. That was on a J-24...
As for singlehanding.. the FIRST 42 from the factory comes stock with 4 individual reef lines run through the boom and all the lines lead aft from within the mast.. every adjustment on the sails, are done without leaving the cockpit..
Performance boats are efficent and well thought out when it comes to opperation.. Singlehanding a 40 foot performance boat is the least of the issues.. My wife at 58 years old handles our just fine..
And I do believe theres a 16 year old out there somewhere now doing just that.. singlehanding a 40 foot performance boat..
Old 21-02-2010, 09:59   #15

Not to change the subject but "singlehanding" in itself is another issue all on it own.. I've done a fair amount in racing and cruising.. the lifestyle in Singlehanding is as different when sailing as it is changing from a life on land to a life on the water.. you adjust to 4 hour sleep patterns and find yourself doing anchor watches at 4 in the morning. Something very different from those living on land..
Singlehanding is another version that is just as different.. you find yourself sleeping in the cockpit much of the time while underway, catching your major sleep durring the day and spend your nights gazzing at the stars.. Your radar alarm is your best friend, your meals are more like snacks that go on for hours, and your firstmate just happens to be a little bird that is using you lifelines for a roost and a break in his flight for a couple hours..
Trying to compair singlehanded sailing for any long distance, for days, weeks, or months, to that of sailing with someone or with a crew, is like compairing your life on land to your life on water...Its two completely different lifestyles..