Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2014, 14:00   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Boat Diver Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Brine shrimp are often so small they can get into any crevice in your body or in the hair under your arms, between your legs, or on your head. Problem is they die quickly once out of the water and tend to stink. But until they die they are some what mobile and can jump around on your body.

I am always shocked at how many of them are still on my protective clothing/wet suit after I get out of the water. I normally stand on my sugar scoop and dive head first to try and wash some of them off. But there are still hundreds of them all over the place.
Tell me about it.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 14:04   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Easy to say the barnacles just about fell off if you are standing on solid ground. It is a different story if you are floating in the water, or diving under the boat and have nothing to hold you in place when you push a tool against the hull of your boat. That is why I sail get your boat in water shallow enough to stand up to do the bottom job, it makes things much easier.

Old 27-06-2014, 18:07   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Subic Philippines will cost about $20 for one tank dive regardless of size.
Guys do a great job!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 18:42   #49

My friend cleans bottoms for a living in Hawaii. She charged 300$ to do this one 30' boat.. It hadn't been done in 30 years. She had to take a small sledge hammer to the keel. She asked for 500.. They settled at 300.. I think the guy got off easy. I paid 90 for initial cleaning of my. 45' ketch.. And 65 a month after that .. Monthly. I keep telling my self to stop being lazy and clean it my self.. I have plenty of dive gear and experience.. I'm just lazy I guess. Next month I believe I will do my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 20:34   #50
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

I was going to say they make suckers that hold you in place so I still don't see what the big deal was all about. My conclusion is just some lazy asp divers here in Sarasota fl.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 20:41   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Tell me about it.

that's nasty man im glad I didn't dive my boat hahaha
Old 27-06-2014, 20:44   #52

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

That's a very tough job that I don't want to have to do, myself. It's one thing to dive your bottom while anchored in some clear, clean water, where you're grateful for the refreshing dip. Quite another to do it in most marinas. Particularly to clean a long neglected boat.

It is very fair and standard practice for divers to price, accordingly.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 21:16   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
That's a very tough job that I don't want to have to do, myself. It's one thing to dive your bottom while anchored in some clear, clean water, where you're grateful for the refreshing dip. Quite another to do it in most marinas. Particularly to clean a long neglected boat.

It is very fair and standard practice for divers to price, accordingly.
I am on the hook in Sarasota bay, I even taken one diver out in my skiff .the guy went down for 5 min and came back up and told me it would take him all day, I said to him do what ever you can, he still wanted to go home. I have gen power ,hot water ,shower, bottled water even lunch if he wanted plus me helping,he still wanted no part in working. I have pics of the growth ,I will post here soon.
Old 27-06-2014, 22:53   #54

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
I am on the hook in Sarasota bay, I even taken one diver out in my skiff .the guy went down for 5 min and came back up and told me it would take him all day, I said to him do what ever you can, he still wanted to go home. I have gen power ,hot water ,shower, bottled water even lunch if he wanted plus me helping,he still wanted no part in working. I have pics of the growth ,I will post here soon.
Its not a pleasant job whatever way you look at it. And yet we often see cruisers lamenting the cost of a job they are not prepared or skilled to do the job themselves.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 23:43   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Its not a pleasant job whatever way you look at it. And yet we often see cruisers lamenting the cost of a job they are not prepared or skilled to do the job themselves.
I agree!!!! but when the cost of scraping is more then a haul out I have a problem with that my haul out cost was 300 haul out and back in total.
Old 28-06-2014, 00:14   #56
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Its all in the perspective.
In the Philippines the divers collect the brine shrimp, barnacles, musseles and whatever fishy stuff the can to make bagoong.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagoong

I just shudder and accept
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 01:12   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
I agree!!!! but when the cost of scraping is more then a haul out I have a problem with that my haul out cost was 300 haul out and back in total.
No offense but the hull cleaner is not in business so that you can get a cheap price on long-neglected maintenance. You clearly should have hauled for paint long ago and failing that, at least should have had your bottom cleaned on some sort of regular basis. Apparently you did neither yet you take the diver to task for wanting to be fairly paid for what undoubtably was going to be hard, dirty work. As if offering him a shower and a bottle of water we're going to sweeten the pot.

I guarantee that in the time the diver would have spent busting his ass with a scraper under your boat, he could've made half as much again, wiping down well maintained, easy-to-clean boats in a marina.
Old 28-06-2014, 01:28   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Its all in the perspective.
In the Philippines the divers collect the brine shrimp, barnacles, musseles and whatever fishy stuff the can to make bagoong.
Bagoong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just shudder and accept
You are fortunate that the Philippines has some of the worlds cheapest labour.
Not sure what the hourly labour rates are in the USA is but in Australia at a lower level its $20-$25 per hour whilst you are lucky to get tradsmen with their own tools for $80.00/hr. Why many would dive their own boats here. Makes $300 haulout sound cheap.
Old 28-06-2014, 01:32   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Haulouts in the Bay Area run about $12/foot. Compared that to what your friendly neighborhood hull diver charges.
Old 28-06-2014, 01:33   #60

Quote:
No offense but the hull cleaner is not in business so that you can get a cheap price on long-neglected maintenance. You clearly should have hauled for paint long ago and failing that, at least should have had your bottom cleaned on some sort of regular basis. Apparently you did neither yet you take the diver to task for wanting to be fairly paid for what undoubtably was going to be hard, dirty work. As if offering him a shower and a bottle of water we're going to sweeten the pot.

I guarantee that in the time the diver would have spent busting his ass with a scraper under your boat, he could've made half as much again, wiping down well maintained, easy-to-clean boats in a marina.
Fstbttms,

Most non divers fail to recognise what a foul dirty slow and cold job cleaning a dirty hull is. Until you have done it you will not fully appreciate the job for what it is.

Unless you pull in a sucker but then you risk a poor job and I doubt they would volunteer again.