Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 09:22   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Boat Changes shape on the hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeachman View Post
Similar question. I purchased a boat that was on the hard for several years. After launch, in the quiet evening I could hear little crackling noises from the hull. I assumed it was a termite problem. Would a fiberglass hull make this kind of noise while "settling"?
Was probably shrimp. Not kidding. Where was this?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:22   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Similar question. I purchased a boat that was on the hard for several years. After launch, in the quiet evening I could hear little crackling noises from the hull. I assumed it was a termite problem. Would a fiberglass hull make this kind of noise while "settling"?
Honestly, it's kind of hard to say, so long after the event. Most likely the crackling you heard after re-launch was baby shrimp. However, if you heard crackling when the boat was set on its keel, that is a way different matter, and it can be fiberglass breaking. If that happened, then, when the boat was picked up again, it would also crackle then, and might continue to do so in the water. Eventually to be followed by water coming in, and repairs.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 09:24   #18

Boat: Morgan 461

She was in Trinidad. Do they have shrimp?
JDeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:42   #19

Our Catalina 30 certainly changes shape. My DH pulled the interior during his rewiring project. He works on manana time so nothing happens very fast. When he finally got around to putting the interior back in, nothing fit. The boat never left the water either.
windcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:23   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Boats can flex quite a lot, due to rigging loads, or others. For example I've flexed boats an inch or two in the fore & aft direction simply by pumping up the hydraulic backstay adjuster. This on stiff, cored carbon fiber hulls. Ditto when tuning a rig that was previously overtensioned. Via other hydraulic mast tuning controls. Or that due to the loads on halyard winches by the companionway, that the hatch wouldn't properly shut.

And the amount of flexing that hulls can be subject to when underway is huge at times. Enough to be so visible to the eye that many crew get freaked out by it. So all systems onboard need to be able to easily self adjust for changes in the shape of the boat.

Quote:
My brother came to visit when he was 22, when I was living board. One evening we had a few margaritas at happy hour, along with the excellent (gratis) roast beef. Then when we went to bed, & about 5min. later he asked me in a panicked voice:
(Him) “What’s that noise"?
(Me) "What noise"?
(Him. More panicked now) "It sounds like we’re being attacked by giant lobsters”.
(Me, While stifling a Huge laugh) “There are hundreds of tiny shrimp that eat the algae that grows on the
hull. That’s what you’re hearing”.
After which we both dozed of pretty quickly. It was a fun visit.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:24   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Maybe you will get lucky and you'll find a wasps nest, or a dead rat!
Funny, I was also thinking of mud dabbers, wasps. It may sound crazy but?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:53   #22

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

New link please for this please. A yacht is just found approx 19 km (POLICE ADVICE) offshore from Barrenjoey /Pittwater/ Hawksbury. Some lives seem lost. This is just new according to marine police, NSW Australia. It is reported at sail without any "standing on" to the vessel. Also this a location of a seasonal rare Orca pod. Please be in touch with new news and assist for all local news. Seas have been huge and usual recently. Australia East Coat Pacific / Tasman sea is very wild. Especially this past week.
Any new thread and advice is appreciated.
Best wishes for all CF. Cheers in local seas adversity, Alastair.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:26   #23

Honestly please very loud radio noises atnight at sea are clicking moluscse's, (barnicales and all)
Please URGENTLY there seem to be lives lost from an unattended large sail vessel just found this morning 19km offshore west of Barrenjoey /Pittwater /Hawksbury by local police comms. Does anyone know anything? Best wishes for all in and with the sea., A
Old 23-01-2017, 11:33   #24

Oops me Barnicles and other Moluscs clearly don't have radio comm's. They still make much noise in the still water. A local just reported abandoned boat with "none on board" found 19km offshore Barrengoey/Pittwater is an urgent information share request for CF please. Alastair A.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:39   #25

Please help and post a new link for this. Police report unattended large sail vessel found 19km offshore east from Barrenjoey/Pittwater NSW. Lives seem lost. Does anyone know anything? New link stream please. Urgently new please. A.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:44   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Almost certainly it's some kind of little shrimp making that noise.
A friend bought steel boat, he was real sure that crackling was electrolysis eating away his steel hull
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:46   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Alastair you may want to start a thread on that specifically, more will see it that way, maybe general sailing forum?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:48   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have seen a hull flex quite a bit while sailing, and also certainly on the hard especially just aft of the keel... pretty disconcerting, but the boats seem to keep sailing ok. But the amount you describe seems extreme. I bet the conduit is getting pinched between frames in the cabin sole.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:53   #29

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Absolutely. How it's blocked matters too. A few years ago, I had my boat out of the water and the engine out the boat at the yard. When the work was done, the yard insisted that it had to be back in the water, with the entire hull supported by the water, for a week before they could accurately re-align the engine and shaft.
That's another reason why I like my saildrive...no alignment issues. Let's see how my statement stirs the conversation
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:10   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I was on a big flat bottom boat once that had the frames for the sole about 2 inches above stringers in the hull. The hull flexed so much that the stringers got pushed up against the steel frames when going to windward. Eventually the stringers, which were about 2 inches thick, were sliced through, but the hull (Kevlar) didn't seem to be otherwise affected. But I prefer hulls that keep their shape.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, on the hard