Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 15:44   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Boat Buying

Am narrowing my boat search down now that I have had a few years of exposure to sailing and completing my ASA courses, as well as getting my first mate exposed to my passion.
Am ready to buy a boat and am looking for experienced input:

1.) will be based in Chesapeake. Will go down ICW and out into ocean for 1-day runs. Will cross Gulf Stream from No Name Harbor Key Biscayne to Bimini for crusie through Bahamas/Exumas.
2.) Eventually cross down to D.R. and on to Virgin islands and back.
3.) maybe in future Florida to Yucatan.
4.) need comfort for first mate
5.) looking for bigger births than traditional 30 foot cruisers and we don't like to sleep in v-berth.

These are my list of six (6) top older boats for me:
Please give feedback as I want to distill these choices down to top 3 if possible and I am looking for folks who are more experienced than I.
I also realise that every boat and its condition is completely different and it csan be hard to compare as one 'better' model in crappy condition is worse than a lesser-rated boat in good condition. I know it all comes down to the individual condition of the individual boat. But, if everything else is equal, any feedback on these boats based on what I want to do:

1.) C&C Landfall 38
2.) Cal 39 MK ii
3.) Ericcson 38
4.) Morgan OI 41
5.) Hunter Legend 40
6.) Irwin 38 Center Cockpit

Plus, any feedback on my feeling that I am biting off more than I can chew and so I have always liked the Island Packet 27, even though it does not have a bigger berth or a nav station - still conflicted about the less expensive costs for a smaller boat.

Thanks so much-
Old 25-09-2011, 15:55   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: boat buying

Everybody has their favorite which is what you get when this type question is asked. None of the ones you mention is any better or worse than the others either in therms of build quality or value. As you know, it comes down to condition and maintenance which should be the driving consideration, not the nameplate on the side.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:10   #3

Boat: islandpacket
Re: boat buying

You mentioned the IP27, have you seen the IP31 or the IP32. I have the 31 but if I had the money would go for the 32. The 32 has a huge quarter burth, easy engine acess.
Old 25-09-2011, 17:54   #4

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Boat Buying

We're planning just about the same trip leaving from Greenwich NJ our home port next year. Anyone of the boats you have listed are good, just beaware of the majors, ie, thru-hulls, engine, etc.. just do it though thats what counts! check out our boat at www.allied39.blogspot .com I would always say buy ANY Allied you'll be good to go, but I'm an Allied fan! I've been sailing for over 30yrs and have owned a Catalina, and a Hunter and found that if your not taking on water and the motor is good, the rest is up to you..
John
Southerly
Allied 39
John McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 18:13   #5

if you dont like a V berth, i think you should be looking at center cockpit boats with the big aft berth. I've had a 38 and 47 with the side/pullmanberthsand find them hot, cave-ish, and difficult to get out of with two people in bed. I really like V berths (if big enough!): I can hear the wind, water against the hull if the chop builds, and any changes in the rode etc. Also better ventilation from the overhead hatch and i can see the stars on nice nights!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 13:56   #6

Cheechako-
maybe we have been sleeping in vee berths in boats too small-
what do you think is a good side to have a decent sleep in a vee-berth-
my wife and I are not tall - both 5'6"
is there any boats in particular that you think have a good vee berth for rom and comfort?
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:07   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail em all before buying=--mebbe you doin tlike one someone else does and vice versa. each boat is different and each person sails different. i dislike the way irwins sail. i wont again sail one. some folks LOVE the way they sail. dont take someone else's advise on what to buy=--- go out and sail em.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:46   #8

zeehag

thanks, zeehag-
that makes sense - you have to get a personal feel for each boat which means as you say - sail them all regardless of their perceived virtues on paper-
thanks-
hope to be able to but within the next 6 months latest-
am heading to rock hall maryland for a week soon and hope to get that opportunity
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
Cheechako-
maybe we have been sleeping in vee berths in boats too small-
what do you think is a good side to have a decent sleep in a vee-berth-
my wife and I are not tall - both 5'6"
is there any boats in particular that you think have a good vee berth for rom and comfort?
my Tanton 44 and Rawson 30 both had v berths which seemed good. My Passport 47 and Hans Christian 38 had pullman's on the port side. I dont know.... nothing is perfect, but having to crawl out of a pullman that sits a little high and crawling over the other person was not good I felt. Also the hatch was quite small on both. Of couse crawling out of the V requires a yoga move also! I'm only 5-9, but I guess you just have to crawl into each one and lay there a minute. I do like the large overhead hatch in a V berth. A huge aft cabin seems like it would be nice, a little isolated from the weather and anchor actions maybe. I think the key to a V is width at the feet, not so much the length ( at least for us short folks) So a bigger boat may feel a lot better to you. Aft cabins with a couple of hanging lockers and drawers are very nice too. A big boat with a V can have those just aft of the V also. All one piece of the puzzle I guess.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying