Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 19:00   #1

Boat: Columbia sloop 24
Boat brands that are not seaworthy?

Can any of you tell my some brand names of boats that you definately would not consider to be "seaworthy"?
wannabesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 19:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Obviously a fecalturbulator.

To keep things friendly I'd try the other route. Outline your boating plans? Round the world, coastal, day sailing? And ask opinions on what boats might best meet your needs. Even that's going to spark debate but I doubt most would not touch your first question in an open forum with 10 foot boathook.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 20:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Sure...

Any vessel with an inexperienced skipper!
Old 07-09-2008, 21:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic View Post
Any vessel with an inexperienced skipper!
No joke.

I'd put a Lancer on the list. It's "seaworthy", but not exactly something you'd want to be on in bad weather.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 21:18   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
Obviously a fecalturbulator.

Will that be with one hull or two sir?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:02   #6

Several years ago I delivered a Hunter 40 from southern California to SF bay.It was about a mid eighties model.It was a bit rough at point conception.I went down below to the vee berth and there I could see and feel the hull oilcanning in and out.Just like a trailer sailer.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:10   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
So far I would say CSY44, CS36T, HC 36, and a 65 Van Hellman. As well as whatever POS wannabesailling has...

My boat, however is great...

(fecalturbulator - gotta remember that one)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesailing View Post
Can any of you tell my some brand names of boats that you definately would not consider to be "seaworthy"?
Perhaps if one needs to ask the question then there is no boat that would be "seaworthy".

For some others, it could be that almost any boat is "seaworthy".
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:04   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, wannabesailing.

I'm concerned that this thread isn't going to produce any usable information for you. I'd suggest that you try re-phrasing your question to be more specific.

Can you tell us what kind of sailing do you plan to do? Sit at the dock, day-sailing, over-nighting in protected waters, coastal cruising, offshore passagemaking, tradewinds sailing, circumnavigation? These are all valid forms of boating, but the seaworthiness of the boat you'd want to sail in for each is radically different.

Are there particular boat brands that are of interest to you? There's a lot of good advice available here, but you'll get much better results with more specificity in your questions.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:59   #10
cruiser

Hud's right (although I laughed for a good minute at Ex-Calif's post.. haha)

Every boat has its intended use. A rubber ducky is pretty seaworthy for use in your bathtub.

It all depends...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09   #11

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman Send a message via Skype™ to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Every boat has its intended use. A rubber ducky is pretty seaworthy for use in your bathtub.

lol Heck, I've even heard of rubber duckies circumnavigating.
ckgreenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:23   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hello, wannabesailing.

Can you tell us what kind of sailing do you plan to do? Sit at the dock, day-sailing, over-nighting in protected waters, coastal cruising, offshore passagemaking, tradewinds sailing, circumnavigation? These are all valid forms of boating, but the seaworthiness of the boat you'd want to sail in for each is radically different.
Even as a newbie I question this statement. Given two skippers of equal ability and boats of roughly equivalent length and displacement, there are some boats that are more seaworthy than others, period. Leaving aside, for a moment, the art of sitting at the dock, if a boat is more seaworthy offshore, its going to be more seaworthy as a daysailer too.

I read that there are plenty of people sailing offshore on Bristol Channel Cutters, Shannons, NorSeas, Contessas and the like. I do not read about people making offshore passages on smaller Hunters and other production boats.

Yes I've read how someone beefed up a Catalina 27 to circumnavigate, but it would never be your first choice. Never. And even after sinking alot of cash (or sweat equity) into a boat like that to beef it up, you'd have second thoughts about sailing it in heavy weather, even if you were Bernard Moitessier himself.

And the price is really one of the best indicators of this. A late 70's early 80's Shannon 28 in good condition will set you back 50-60K. A Catalina 27 of similar vintage and condition costs what, 10K? There is a reason for this price differential.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Curmudgeon,

Technically, you're right, but would it really be helpful to give the OP advice on boats that are not seaworthy enough to make a circumnavigation, with stop-overs in Antarctica, when all she really may be interested in is day-sailing on an inland lake?

We could waste a lot of everyone's time and bandwidth discoursing on the merits of NorSeas vs. Hunters, but it could be pointless, depending on the use to which the boat will be put.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:39   #14

NOT seaworthy

Any vessel that does NOT have a real bilge, ie deep and narrow so it's contents stay put till you pump it out. 6" deep 'dustbins' are not bilges. Last summer I spent a bit of time on a Pearson 28 with a 4" deep 'dustbin' for a bilge. Water was constanly sloshing around the cabin sole. That's NOT sea worthy.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27   #15

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well if it's seaworthy offshore it will be seaworthy on an inland lake when a thunderstorm comes up.

In my sailing club we have Solings and Sonars. Anyone familar with these two boats knows perfectly well that in choppy seas and gusty winds you would rather be in a Sonar. The Soling has enough weather helm to rip you arm out of its socket no matter how you trim the sails, and it won't sail very well at all under jib alone, so you're stuck with the mainsail.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy