Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2016, 02:22   #31

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Bluewater - Hanse / Swan / Oyster

Originally Posted by Corto_Maltese View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking to order a new boat under 24m (78') on which we would spend the next 5-6 years cursing around the globe.

Money is not an issue. Considerations are: safety, ease of handling, performance/speed, looks (interior and decks) and comfort. Most of the time it would be two of us + dog. Occasionally we would have visits from friends and family. Additionally, we plan to hire 2 additional crew members for longer cross ocean passages.

We narrowed down to these three:
  • Nautor's Swan 78
  • Hanse 675
  • Oyster 675 / Oyster 745

From all 3, Hanse has the best looks, but I have read lot of issues from owners who bought a new boat. Personally I do not have experience with Hanse.
Oyster - proven as a good bluewater
Swan - my favorite, great performance and sleek likes (which might be ruined a bit after equipping the boat for long cruises - solar/wind generators..etc)

Experience, pro/cons? All 3 are great boats when it comes to safety and ease of handling. In the meantime we plan to charter boars from all 3 builders.

Good for you. I wish I could kick off long term too.

Forget the Hanse - I am surprised it is an option for you, it is great value, but not at all as nicely built as the other two. I think Swan / Oyster is a toss up. I prefer Oyster as I like the lines and so often the Swans are a bit cave like, but their raised saloon options may be as good. Performance wise Swan may have a slight edge, but probably not so much that you would miss it.

If I were buying money no object I would go custom from a Dutch yard. You can't get what I would want in the off the peg options in the sizes you mentioned. I would want a raised saloon, which I have now. Oyster may build you a one off in their boats, you would need to ask. Or get a bigger Oyster, where it is standard.

I would also want an all weather helm, a dinghy garage, lifting keel, twin rudders and quite a bit of attention to performance and systems.

I would also consider a cat. I expect it to win on the comfort issue. I might have gone for the Gunboat, but they only make the 55 now under Outremer. A 66 second hand may work. I have no experience with them. A charter would be useful. The problem with cats is I haven't yet seen one that makes my pulse raise.

That said, none of this really matters much. Your attitude matters most and you should have a great time in anything. Go for it.

poiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 07:06   #32

I believe there is a new Hanse model, the 588, might be worth a look if your interested in the hanse.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

AJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 07:24   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 2006 Catalina 350
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

If you have the budget for a Nautor or Oyster, forget the Hanse.
To me Oyster is going to be set up better for short handed sailing. Nautor Swan, while they build some incredible boats, they tend to not be rigged to short hand sail as well and the accomodations and cockpit tend to also be rigged more for sailing than comfort. At least a Swan 61 I have sailed many an offshore mile seemed like that to mee.

Then again if you're going new you could have it done the way you want. Just my two cents.
Kent Little, CPYB
1983-2016 Celebrating Over 33 Years of Professional Yacht Sales
Direct line-713-817-7216
Waterford Harbor, 800 Mariners Drive Pier 6/7, Kemah, TX 77565
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote

oyster, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: