Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-11-2012, 08:37   #691

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I haven't sailed around the southern tip, but I have spent some time at Invercargill - the frequently wild weather could make the beach unapproachable for weeks (the wind would whip up the sand mercilessly).
Is it Doubtful and Milford Sounds on the SW side that are the drawcards? Or just sheer Danish determination ?
Well, we've been to doubtful and milford, but from the land side, so we'd like to try it from the sea. Mainly I guess, just an insufferable determination to go do it.

We would dearly love to sail clear round NZ. We were there for a month which is simply not long enough. We will probably spend the winter there, when we go.
While we have not done so, we continue to discuss a trip round Iceland. It would be a good practice trip. If we can survive that then we can survive most things....LOL

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:40   #692

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Well, we've been to doubtful and milford, but from the land side, so we'd like to try it from the sea. Mainly I guess, just an insufferable determination to go do it.

We would dearly love to sail clear round NZ. We were there for a month which is simply not long enough. We will probably spend the winter there, when we go.
While we have not done so, we continue to discuss a trip round Iceland. It would be a good practice trip. If we can survive that then we can survive most things....LOL
The winter????? Winter's a perfect time for Fiji and Tonga, spend the summer in NZ (Bay of Islands is a great spot) .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:42   #693
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Now of course I would prefer to do that Atlantic circuit in my own boat . But given a choice between J 40.3 and Contessa, I wouldn't think for even a second. Contessa may be very seaworthy for its size, but remember it's a little bitty boat. It's salty and beautiful and has a wonderful heritage -- I would be very proud to own one. But it would not be my first or even third choice for long distance passage-making, if I could afford anything bigger and newer. But that's just my own personal taste, which I would not try to impose on anyone else.
This is something that few want to admit in these bluewater threads, that large boats tend to be better passage-makers than smaller boats. As far as I'm concerned one of the biggest safety issues offshore is crew fatigue. The more quickly and comfortably a boat can make a passage, the less it will fatigue its crew.

A few years back we sailed downhill to Half Moon Bay in a 15-foot swell, arriving there about a half hour prior to some friends in a Catalina 34. We visited for cocktails in the anchorage, and they reported that they'd been surfing the waves, and had decided to hand-steer for fear that the boat would broach if it caught a puff while accelerating. Meanwhile, in those exact same seas it had never occurred to us, in our 46-footer, to take over for the autopilot. We simply weren't having an adventure at that point, just a lovely outing.
Old 30-11-2012, 08:56   #694

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The winter????? Winter's a perfect time for Fiji and Tonga, spend the summer in NZ (Bay of Islands is a great spot) .
Lassie,

Oh hell, here's that language mix again. In danish, the word "overvintre" means to, nautically, lay up for a season, mostly winter. I meant it metaforically, i.e. Spend a season there- so yes spend the summer i NZ.

Good thing I've almost completely forgotten my Dutch, that really used to get in the way!

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 30-11-2012, 09:01   #695

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lassie,

Oh hell, here's that language mix again. In danish, the word "overvintre" means to, nautically, lay up for a season, mostly winter. I meant it metaforically, i.e. Spend a season there- so yes spend the summer i NZ.

Good thing I've almost completely forgotten my Dutch, that really used to get in the way!
I was beginning to think the Danes must be suckers for punishment LOL, wanting to round NZ in the winter borders on masochism .

Old 30-11-2012, 09:05   #696
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This thread got me thinking of some better definitions. Here are a couple that work for me.

BLUE WATER….When you are beyond a modern weather reporting service and don’t have a reliable weather window, or where you cannot make a port of refuge within your prediction range. A transatlantic is clearly blue water from 3-4 days out. But where I sail in Newfoundland outside a headland is blue water unless I have a very good forecast, gales can and do blow up unexpectedly and there may not be a good refuge handy.

BLUE WATER CAPABLE….This means that the boat is suitable for the passage given the limits of the crew. Thus a boat doing the Marblehead to Halifax race with a young and full deck crew may be blue water capable for that task. But take an older couple doing a TransAtlantic and then it becomes much more important that the boat be comfortable to allow them to rest and retain their energy. Decks leaks which get the bedding wet are a real issue for them because they can’t rest as well.

So it is all relative to both where you sail and how you sail and your experience level. We have a big ol heavy steelie because the Wife is prone to seasickness, and terror and I sail short-handed. A light fast boat that pounds and stress’ her out would be of no good to us no matter that it could survive. We could not survive in her.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 09:10   #697

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, yes

Tie me to the wall, bring your whip............

Oh yeah, this is a family site.

No we're not masocHistic in any way or form and certainly not when we're at sea! But we would like to circumnavigate NZ if qe find a weather window. Sailors I've talked to say 16 meter waves are not uncommon, which doesn't matter unless it is wind against current or the like.

Old 30-11-2012, 09:16   #698

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, yes

Tie me to the wall, bring your whip............

Oh yeah, this is a family site.

No we're not masocHistic in any way or form and certainly not when we're at sea! But we would like to circumnavigate NZ if qe find a weather window. Sailors I've talked to say 16 meter waves are not uncommon, which doesn't matter unless it is wind against current or the like.
I can now tie a handcuff knot in about 3 seconds. Been practising
http://www.animatedknots.com/handcuf...matedknots.com

Old 30-11-2012, 09:32   #699

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sure I should comment.........
Hubby is down below? Awaiting?

Aside from the more spiritual side of life, what do you use a handcuff knot for?

Old 30-11-2012, 10:05   #700

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm not sure I should comment.........
Hubby is down below? Awaiting?

Aside from the more spiritual side of life, what do you use a handcuff knot for?
I'm back now. I've tied him up and I'm free to post again
Now where were we? What do I use the knot for?
Usually I
Oops, BRB, he's managing to wriggle loose, need to remedy that ..........

Old 30-11-2012, 11:13   #701
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Just coincidentally, I saw this today - an incident from the past few weeks in which a couple on a Tayana 37 battled 10m waves and 50kt winds to rescue a couple in a 38' (is it a Hunter?) near Tonga.

I'm not saying this means anything. Just pointing it out.
Yachties return to heroes' welcome - Story - NZ News - 3 News

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-32208112/

Rescued sailors happy to be alive | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News
Old 30-11-2012, 11:18   #702

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Just coincidentally, I saw this today - an incident from the past few weeks in which a couple on a Tayana 37 battled 10m waves and 50kt winds to rescue a couple in a 38' (is it a Hunter?) near Tonga.

I'm not saying this means anything. Just pointing it out.
Yachties return to heroes' welcome - Story - NZ News - 3 News

Sinking ship couple: 'We have never been so terrified' - Wales News - News - WalesOnline

Rescued sailors happy to be alive | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News
The boat abandoned was a Beneteau 393 named Windigo:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-93248.html

Old 30-11-2012, 16:49   #703

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
There are two big handholds running the length of the table, and you can grab the kitchen or chart table. The cabin looks bigger because of the wide angle lens. You can easily brace yourself in the kitchen or chart table. Since these boats are semi-custom you can have more handholds if you want.

This is the RM 1050. A fast seaworthy cruiser. One of them was sold to a sailor who wants to do a circuit of the Americas...
Wow, those are very exciting and unique. I didn't see any prices on the website. Any idea what the 1050 runs cost-wise?
Old 30-11-2012, 17:25   #704

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

If your going to sail around NZ, do it in an anti clockwise direction, other wise you will be fighting the wind,
Australia is the same, anti clockwise, right around,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 17:47   #705

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
The boat abandoned was a Beneteau 393 named Windigo:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-93248.html

Haha...I think you were punked here, Lassie. This thread really has it all!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising