Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 04:31   #646

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Speaking of boats, this one has a pretty good record:

John Kretschmer first saw Cape Horn on January 31, 1984, lying three miles north of his Contessa 32 Gigi. Although the 9,500-pound Gigi may have been the smallest yacht to "double the Horn," this dismal, windswept headland means far more than sailing records and physical accomplishment.

More Contessa 32 facts:

The Contessa 32 is a 9.75 metre (32 ft) fibreglass monohull sailing yacht, designed in 1970 by David Sadler in collaboration with yachtbuilder Jeremy Rogers, as a larger alternative to the Contessa 26. With over 750 hulls built, the yacht has become the most successful one-design cruiser-racer of all time.[1][2] The yachts have a masthead sloop rig, with a fin keel and a skeg-mounted rudder, a cutting edge concept for the period which now represents a cross between newer and older designs. The Contessa 32 is seaworthy enough for offshore voyages in extreme weather conditions, but also performs well in races, and as a one-design racing class is administered by an active Association. The trait most often associated with the Contessa 32 though is her ability to endure harsh weather and rough seas. A Contessa 32 was the only yacht in the small boat class to finish the disastrous 1979 Fastnet race, in which 15 lives were lost.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 05:13   #647
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes 10 valiants of all sizes 7 40s , in a list of Several several hundred , there was 6 home builds too. !!

Dave
Other fullish keels: Pandas, Slocums, Southern Cross, Westsails, Lord Nelsons, Tayanas, Cheoy Lees, Seawolf, Mariner ...

(just in a cursory glance)
Old 29-11-2012, 05:14   #648
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Speaking of boats, this one has a pretty good record:

John Kretschmer first saw Cape Horn on January 31, 1984, lying three miles north of his Contessa 32 Gigi. Although the 9,500-pound Gigi may have been the smallest yacht to "double the Horn," this dismal, windswept headland means far more than sailing records and physical accomplishment.

More Contessa 32 facts:

The Contessa 32 is a 9.75 metre (32 ft) fibreglass monohull sailing yacht, designed in 1970 by David Sadler in collaboration with yachtbuilder Jeremy Rogers, as a larger alternative to the Contessa 26. With over 750 hulls built, the yacht has become the most successful one-design cruiser-racer of all time.[1][2] The yachts have a masthead sloop rig, with a fin keel and a skeg-mounted rudder, a cutting edge concept for the period which now represents a cross between newer and older designs. The Contessa 32 is seaworthy enough for offshore voyages in extreme weather conditions, but also performs well in races, and as a one-design racing class is administered by an active Association. The trait most often associated with the Contessa 32 though is her ability to endure harsh weather and rough seas. A Contessa 32 was the only yacht in the small boat class to finish the disastrous 1979 Fastnet race, in which 15 lives were lost.
Geez...We have gone from a Catalina 315 to a 13' Gupppy to the Titanic. Thanks for getting us back on track.

RT
PS The thread would be more informative if you stick strictly to the boat. The skippers sailing skill is of course a factor but irrelevant concerning the OP's original question. But who am I to complain. This thread based on number of views and left turns has taken a mind all its own....
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 05:39   #649

Boat: 1974 45' Downeast Lobster Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Graceunderway

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Beautiful Bash. +5

Looked at your website, it looks awesome. Young people like you two traveling the world by boat is remarkable.

Stay safe!
Graceunderway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:41   #650

Boat: Bristol 27

Here's some info on the Contessa 32 Assent that did complete the 1979 Fastnet Race, and the man that continued to sail her even at the age of 85. (the son was borrowing dad's boat for the race) I believe much of the information in this article fits in well with the discussion going on here.

Fastnet 79 - The winner's story | Fastent 1979 Winner | Yachting World

I attached a picture of a random Contessa 32 I found on line. Now that is a nice looking boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa_32_sailing_2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	50439  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:53   #651
Armchair Bucketeer

IMO the Titantic sank due to.........

......marketing hype .

Built with the "unsinkable" tag (in modern parlance built to be "safe") simply to get bums on seats of those with more cash than enquiring minds. The downside came when those who did know better started beleiving own marketing hype.........full steam ahead through iceberg territory, I wonder why that went badly .

A common theme with Humans - a tendency to beleive what is conveniant.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 07:43   #652

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Kretschmer also called the Contessa 32 "a submarine with sails." It's a wet boat in a seaway.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:01   #653
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
......marketing hype .
Indeed. And let us not forget that the term "bluewater boat" originated from an ad-man's pen.
Old 29-11-2012, 15:21   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Indeed. And let us not forget that the term "bluewater boat" originated from an ad-man's pen.
Presumably not the same ad-man who foisted "staterooms", "bathrooms" and "downstairs" into yacht brokerspeak ???
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:58   #655

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

So basically, a well-built/over-built boat can make up for some human error, and a good skipper/crew can offset some "lower quality" build issues.

Old 29-11-2012, 16:02   #656

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Almost any boat can take a lot more than almost any crew can take. Remember, the vast majority of boats that do sink or founder for some reason do so close to shore or at the dock. The odds of losing a boat offshore are vanishingly small, almost no matter which one you choose. Use a modicum of common sense and you won't have any problems.
Old 29-11-2012, 16:15   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
AH, So after all these pages & posts, we finally come to the true definition.
Bluewater Boat is just a term made up on some AD designer's notebook for an AD campaign? So disappointing.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:22   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Since "offshore passaging can be made in anything that floats" which of the following three BLUEWATER boats (choke) would you suggest I take.

Reinell 26
McGregor 26
Bayliner Buccaneer 27

I just received my IRS tax settlement. I'm feeling suicidal and my Slocum may have to go.... Help!

RT
Haha... I'm Rolling!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:24   #659

[QUOTE=thomm225;1096075]Here's some info on the Contessa 32 Assent that did complete the 1979 Fastnet Race, and the man that continued to sail her even at the age of 85. (the son was borrowing dad's boat for the race) I believe much of the information in this article fits in well with the discussion going on here.

Fastnet 79 - The winner's story | Fastent 1979 Winner | Yachting World

I attached a picture of a random Contessa 32 I found on line. Now that is a nice looking boat![/QUOTE]
Yes it is!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:28   #660

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Loosing a rudder or a keel or a mast in a 3 to 5 years old boat is something to consider when you choose a specific brand,,, the net is full of weird horrendous historys when the crew or skiper are hands tied because the events are just simple out of control.....every year in the ARC some one loose something, sometimes brand new boats, a rudder, a chainplate ?¿?¿?

Anyway there is boats build to have a lot of abuse without compromise the hull integrity and others are just gelcoat shine show , the deep blue can be very nasty , if i remember well, after 6 years as the captain of Angantyr , a Abeking Rasmussen 61 made in steel in Germany , we found ourselves with our asses in real bad conditions wonder how diferent can be the same situation in a gelcoat shine thing .....

Yes yes, there is some serious Water boats">blue water boats in the market, no doubt!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising