Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23   #106
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Bluewater Cruising Cabability

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Given your criteria I wonder why you did not choose a steel boat? Steel has a much better puncture resistance and will survive these extreme problems far better than a long keeled fiberglass boat.
Don't get me wrong, it's not my choice, but could not a steel boat owner claim your boat is not satisfactory because a steel boat would manage in these circumstances much better than your boat?

Boats are compromises. Personally I think erring on the side of seaworthiness is sensible, but there are no absolutes, or moral high ground.
Bernard Moitessier would agree. But there are too many inherent problems associated with steel boats as well a aluminum to deter a prospective buyer.

I'll stick by my "compromise", knowing that she should be able to handle anything that comes my way considering my cruising grounds.

Can you say the same thing about your boat?

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33   #107

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Haven't read all 7 pages, but a couple of good resources on the "bluewater" thing are here: Atom Voyages - Articles (read about his experience sailing a Catalina 320)
and Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
I think they're a bit off on their catamaran suggestions, but most of the monohull suggestions look okay.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34   #108

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Oh, and a simple plastic spoon, with good bailing qualities in case things really get rough.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37   #109

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

This thread, like most of the "Blue Water Cruiser" threads, is a waste of bandwidth.

There will be people who have never sailed offshore, who think that you need a steel tank to be 'safe'. You will never change their minds.

There will be people who have sailed offshore, who think that many fin keel production boats are 'safe enough'. You will never change their minds.

I know of 'tanks' (like a wetsail 32) that were lost with all hands in the open ocean

I know of (many) fin keel production boats that have successfully circumnavigated.

I remember talking to Lowell North (North Sails) after he circumnavigated. He said that the most wind he saw was 35 knots (the most sustained I ever saw was 40), and next time he would take (dare I say it) a CATAMARAN!!.

The only time I've been pooped in 100,000 blue water miles was when the holding tank line exploded--the performance boats are fast enough to sail in front of the breaking water.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37   #110
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I wonder if all the arguments a certain person keeps making works to win over others to his viewpoint, or to just put him down as someone to ignore.

Choosing a boat based on the end of world storm, hitting reefs, hitting containers etc. Just seems to be living in misplaced fear. Sure they could happen but come on.I wonder what type of car he choses to take out in the much more dangerous world of the highway.
I drive in South Florida daily on I-95. I'd say that's equivalent to sailing in a gail every day.

Late model Highlander with airbags front to back.

RT
PS Don, ignore me if you will but I know you can't wait for my next post..
PPS You sail a Hunter. I wonder what car YOU drive?
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Oh, and a simple plastic spoon, with good bailing qualities in case things really get rough.
Plastic spoons are not safe offshore. An aluminium spoon is the minimum requirement

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45   #112
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
PPS You sail a Hunter. I wonder what car YOU drive?
I currently drive a Camry. You know one of those production cars. Haven't had a accident in 40 years of driving including the years I lived in the LA area, so I guess I don't need a tank!

I don't drive in fear just like I don't sail in fear!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46   #113

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I wonder what type of car he choses to take out in the much more dangerous world of the highway.
Why don't you ask him directly? He is reading and posting to the thread.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48   #114
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Why don't you ask him directly? He is reading and posting to the thread.

Because I never said who "he" was and really don't care about what car he drives or anything else about him
Old 11-11-2012, 10:32   #115

Boat: Beneteau 323

It sounds like we need a searchable database/website that catalogs as many sailboats as possible attempting and/or successfully making ocean crossings, the weather they experienced, crew deaths/injuries and the gear failures that occured.

Hundreds of boats now make ocean crossings every year, so I think we could really quickly build a picture that helps sailors make better informed decisions.

If there is enough interest I will create the site and start collecting data. What do you think?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35   #116
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think the international bucketeers should be ashamed of themselves from not including spoons.
Spoons are just small buckets with a different handle. Discrimination based on size or physical differences is not acceptable.
Come on bucketeers include your smaller brethren, they have feelings too.

You had to ask.

I have limited storage space in my galley and buy only cooking spoons with holes in the handle, and then I hang them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A less expensive option might be to close the portholes before getting underway.

You seriously think those openable portholes are as strong as windows sealed and screwed from the outside? I'm surprised.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37   #118

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

A less expensive option might be to close the portholes before getting underway.
Beautiful Bash. +5
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38   #119
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
Beautiful Bash. +5

It was a beautiful bash but, I think, bad advice.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48   #120

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

It was a beautiful bash but, I think, bad advice.
I disagree. Modern ports are not the 1/4" plexiglass of the 1970s. I would venture to say, after sailing from the Pacific to the Caribbean that boats like the OP asked about are the most common cruising boats out here. We happen to have a full keel on our boat and it is fine, but given the opportunity to trade it for a faster, more maneuverable boat with a walk through transom, or a catamaran, of similar condition, I would do it in a second.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising