Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 16:34   #841

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapoc View Post
For anyone who cares I am 54yrs old and have done a lot of stuff in my life already. Probably a lot more then most of the nay sayers. I am still alive and have never had any serious injury. I am as fit as any 30 yr old person in good condition. I have sailed an underbuilt boat in very poor conditions in the gulf stream off the coast of Florida in june 2003. I didnt break the boat because I am a conservative sailor. I had breaking waves 8-10 tall and about 20ft apart I knew then to under power the boat and secure everything. I have been caught in some very rough squalls while fishing in the gulf of Mexico on my 25ft Tiara flybridge sedan and I'm still alive. What I want to do here is not outrageous. I like working on boats and I don't mind spending some money while doing so. If someone can show me where its going to cost me 100,000 to do this then I will change my mind. I think I'm looking at 10,000 to 15,000 which is totally fine with me.
Here's my $2,000 Bristol 27 coming out of the creek. Yep, I have about $7,000 - $8,000 in it now and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have much trouble sailing over to Bermuda then south..........

I'm looking at other boats now like the Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 and a 1984 Sabre 32 but I can't quite convince myself to buy one of those yet since my present boat will do what they will do at least for now and even when I do sail to New Orleans for my first cruise.

I "threw away" quite a bit of money getting the boat where it is now messing around with old diesels. I ended up with a 58 lb 4 stroke 5 hp Mercury on a bracket rather than the original 352 lb 10 hp Westerbeke Diesel it originally came with. I also bought a new main for the boat. The jib(s) were practically new so I didn't have to buy a new one of those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Dream.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	69709   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	69710  

Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	69711  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:27   #842
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I also know now that my Cat will sink if holed,
I have air bags now that I can inflate quickly,
They fold flat when not in use, But are a cubic metre when inflated, I need four to keep my boat on the surface, [...]
That's not a bad idea! Probably wouldn't work for me though. My heavy boat would require 484 cu ft of airbag (an inflatable cube almost 8 ft on a side) to keep it afloat, and that's not going to inflate quickly.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 19:37   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here's my $2,000 Bristol 27 coming out of the creek. Yep, I have about $7,000 - $8,000 in it now and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have much trouble sailing over to Bermuda then south..........
A good looking boat it is. I wouldn't have a problem with ownership of that.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:43   #844

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I'm looking at other boats now like the Wauquiez Gladiateur 33 and a 1984 Sabre 32 but I can't quite convince myself to buy one of those yet since my present boat will do what they will do at least for now and even when I do sail to New Orleans for my first cruise.

I "threw away" quite a bit of money getting the boat where it is now messing around with old diesels. I ended up with a 58 lb 4 stroke 5 hp Mercury on a bracket rather than the original 352 lb 10 hp Westerbeke Diesel it originally came with. I also bought a new main for the boat. The jib(s) were practically new so I didn't have to buy a new one of those.
Stick with this one! So simple and you own it! Very cool.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31   #845
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Check out Cortes Bank, about 100 miles west of San Diego. This is a seamount that rises up from a depth of 1000 fathoms, and sits a few feet under the surface. 70+ ft waves!
And you sail over a seamount in a gale ........!!!!!

Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38   #846

Quote:
I also know now that my Cat will sink if holed,
I have air bags now that I can inflate quickly,
They fold flat when not in use, But are a cubic metre when inflated, I need four to keep my boat on the surface,
Manual air pump blows them up, Very quickly,
Similar to the Air jacks for cars, that run off the exhaust of the car, But bigger,
Any Bladder maker can supply them, Water beds, Etc,

Take out the actual Factor of sinking, The rest is up to you, You have plenty of time to repair things if your boat wont sink,
Even if it is level with the ocean surface, You still have the time on your side to fix things,

Repair the hole, Pump it out, your on your way again,
It may take a week to fix, bobbing around in the Ocean,, But Its doable,
So.... you're going to find these bags and the pump, then pump them up inside the hull after you're upside down...?
or did you mean the reason you're pitchpoling is because you are upright... but down below pumping bags in 50 foot waves...while the boat fends for itself? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:21   #847

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So.... you're going to find these bags and the pump, then pump them up inside the hull after you're upside down...?
or did you mean the reason you're pitchpoling is because you are upright... but down below pumping bags in 50 foot waves...while the boat fends for itself? :>)
Where did upside down come into it, ?????????????????????

I was talking about a hole in the bottom of a boat, And not sinking,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:46   #848

Quote:
Where did upside down come into it, ?????????????????????

I was talking about a hole in the bottom of a boat, And not sinking,
I thought I had missed something too.

Old 02-11-2013, 17:53   #849

PS, Maybe that's what is meant by "pitchpoling?"

Old 02-11-2013, 20:56   #850

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Pitch Poling is when the nose digs in and the boat rolls over the Bows head first,

Its great fun on a 14 footer, Hahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20   #851

Sorry guys.... I flipped threads... thought this was the "pitchpoling thread" :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:31   #852
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I went sailing yesterday with Birdsey and we sailed a lot and then went to the engine when we approched a marina,I put her in reverse and I heard a thump and then no motion! I reved her up and it had no load on the engine,I thought I had lost my prop! I went in and the prop was still there but the pin was gone! Had I not had a full keel I would have lost the prop,as it turned out it was sitting in the apperture formed by the keel and the rudder joining,this is one more reason to have the "correct " type of boat for offshore work,had it been a fin or some other type of hull design other than a full keel I would have lost the prop , now al I have got to do is dive back in ,insert a cotter pin and I am off again..lesson learned?"Dont take a moped to a drag race"
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54   #853

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I went sailing yesterday with Birdsey and we sailed a lot and then went to the engine when we approched a marina,I put her in reverse and I heard a thump and then no motion! I reved her up and it had no load on the engine,I thought I had lost my prop! I went in and the prop was still there but the pin was gone! Had I not had a full keel I would have lost the prop,as it turned out it was sitting in the apperture formed by the keel and the rudder joining,this is one more reason to have the "correct " type of boat for offshore work,had it been a fin or some other type of hull design other than a full keel I would have lost the prop , now al I have got to do is dive back in ,insert a cotter pin and I am off again..lesson learned?"Dont take a moped to a drag race"
Gee, I would have thought the lesson was to do proper maintenance and not have the problem in the first place, regardless of boat design.

I note that I have had nothing but fin keel boats and have not lost a prop, and I always took race cars to drag races.

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Dont take a moped to a drag race"
Unless you're drag racing other mopeds?
Seriously, good lesson.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18   #855
CLOD

Boat: none

I wandered out of my lane on the road the other day and drove into a wall. It was OK because I was driving a tank.

Based on this I have decided to only drive a tank from now on. Just need to build some solar panel mounts for it and I will be set.

Tags
cruising