Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 20:11   #406
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B

Doodles, Please read the quote in the post you are replying to. I quoted VT when he said jiffy pop spray....bs....more bs,.... anyway my point was that I am sure boats today will be around for many many years to come. Sorry if i wasnt clear.
Sorry it's me that wasn't clear. I meant my remarks to be in support of yours ... agree 110%.
__________________

__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:14   #407
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Wolf, i am sure your boat, along with those being produced today will be here in 40 yrs just as my alberg is here after 40 yrs. Mr VT claims to be an engineer of no less that the areo space indusrty but claims that boats of today will not "stand the test of Time". Very odd statement for an engineer of years past to question the integrity of engineers of today
Back when your Alberg was built fiberglass and resins were not understood as well as today so boats were seriously over built.
__________________

__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:14   #408
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
When I went to school for Aerospace engineering, commercial aircraft were designed with “overbuild” in mind.
Let me guess... back in the sextants-in-the-cockpit days, when aerospace engineers distinguished themselves by carrying larger slide rules than chemistry majors? Back when jiffy-pop was an frightening new technology? Back before they built Dreamliners of 80% composite materials?

The good old days, for sure. Yep. Better "overbuilt" aeroplanes--better "overbuilt" sailboats. And as for the popcorn.....
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:28   #409
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 228
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I hope you were using my boat as an example of the type that stands the test of time. My boat is 40 years old with 40,000-50,000nm under the keel. Hull is 1"thick top nailed strip plank mahagony on double 2x3" frames at 12" centers with 2 layers of fiberglass on the outside (using epoxy resin), 3-piece laminated 47' (stepped on keel) Sitka Spruce mast, 1/4" 316SS rigging, Vetus M415 (1500cc Mitsubishi engine 33hp) etc....
Wood Atkins Double Enders and their more modern fiberglass counterparts the Rafiki’s, Tayana’s ,WestSail’s and of course my Slocum to name a few all share the same design philosophy. Build them strong. Build them to last. Why would you want it any other way?

Then again I may just be showing my age. Today’s market is all about speed and accommodations. Not that this is a bad thing unless the manufacturer and his bean counters are sacrificing structural integrity for the bottom line.

RT
__________________
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:38   #410
Registered User
 
Cruiser2B's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 367
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Wood Atkins Double Enders and their more modern fiberglass counterparts the Rafiki’s, Tayana’s ,WestSail’s and of course my Slocum to name a few all share the same design philosophy. Build them strong. Build them to last. Why would you want it any other way?

Then again I may just be showing my age. Today’s market is all about speed and accommodations. Not that this is a bad thing unless the manufacturer and his bean counters are sacrificing structural integrity for the bottom line.

RT

I hate to argue because i feel like i am wasting precious minutes of my life, but please support your claim where structural integrity is sacrificed. you have already stated your boat was "over built" meaning that todays boats are adequately built(assuming you are using todays boats as a standard to say that your is overbuilt, there was no standard for fiberglass boats in 1960's)....not over built and material wasted. Please support your claims, it really helps support your argument
__________________
http://svsalacia.blogspot.com
1971 Alberg 30..preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:38   #411
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Wood Atkins Double Enders and their more modern fiberglass counterparts the Rafiki’s, Tayana’s ,WestSail’s and of course my Slocum to name a few all share the same design philosophy. Build them strong. Build them to last. Why would you want it any other way?

Then again I may just be showing my age. Today’s market is all about speed and accommodations. Not that this is a bad thing unless the manufacturer and his bean counters are sacrificing structural integrity for the bottom line.

RT
My boat is a William Atkin design, but not a double ender....granted it isn't spacious like alot of the big beam double enders you were talking about, because the man that commissioned the design wanted a fast, easily handled single hander and that's what she is. A tight little ship in construction that is cozy in accomidations
__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:42   #412
Registered User
 
Cruiser2B's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 367
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
My boat is a William Atkin design, but not a double ender....granted it isn't spacious like alot of the big beam double enders you were talking about, because the man that commissioned the design wanted a fast, easily handled single hander and that's what she is. A tight little ship in construction that is cozy in accomidations
would love to see a picture. There is a dreadnaught 32(tahiti ketch)in our marina that looks very traditional and salty. I love the old traditional sailboats especially wooden ones
__________________
http://svsalacia.blogspot.com
1971 Alberg 30..preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:55   #413
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 228
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Let me guess... back in the sextants-in-the-cockpit days, when aerospace engineers distinguished themselves by carrying larger slide rules than chemistry majors? Back when jiffy-pop was an frightening new technology? Back before they built Dreamliners of 80% composite materials?

The good old days, for sure. Yep. Better "overbuilt" aeroplanes--better "overbuilt" sailboats. And as for the popcorn.....
Every time you get on an "aeroplane" Bash thank your lucky stars they are "overbuilt". Both plane and boat share the same dilemma, trying to stay together when traveling through a fluid that can be daunting and unpredictable.

"And as for popcorn".... I bet you are an authority.

RT
__________________
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:57   #414
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
would love to see a picture. There is a dreadnaught 32(tahiti ketch)in our marina that looks very traditional and salty. I love the old traditional sailboats especially wooden ones


__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 21:18   #415
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Palm City, Florida
Boat: Slocum 37
Posts: 228
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I hate to argue because i feel like i am wasting precious minutes of my life, but please support your claim where srtuctural integrity is sacrificed. you have already stated your boat was "over built" meaning that todays boats are adequately built(assuming you are using todays boats as a standard to say that your is overbuilt, there was no standard for fiberglass boats in 1960's)....not over built and material wasted. Please support your claims, it really helps support your argument
Are you kidding? We all know what manufacturers have sacrificed structural integrity for the bottom line. Go to manufacturer forums and read some of the horror stories.

As far as my 37' 1985 Slocum being overbuilt..... She's 28k lbs with 11,200 ballast on a 32' waterline. And she's Airex cored! I'd say that's over built but that's the way I like it. That's also the reason she can throw up 900+ sq. ft of sail and do 7+ knots in 12-15 knot breeze.

Besides I can't help myself. I'm Italian and I like my women with a little meat on their bones....

RT
__________________
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 21:37   #416
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

My boat was the builders last boat so he built for himself.....no bottom line to worry about, just a life time of experience to get it right
__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 22:06   #417
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Gents, I'm not sure there's much more to say here. I don't think the OP got an answer, nor can there be an answer with much agreement. The bs factor is getting more intense as arguments need to be buttressed. On the internet everybody's an expert. I sure am.

If a Trekka, a Shrimpy, a Piver plywood trimaran with polyester resin are all bluewater cruising capable, and the facts say they are, then pretty much most boats are; a point made many times in this never ending thread that has drifted further than debris from Japan.

What I hate to read, and I think it lessens the value of the forum as well, is the continuing argument that old fashioned boats sail as well, or are better in any relevant way than modern designs. Love yer boats mates but don't lay no boogie woogie on the kings of rock n roll.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 22:10   #418
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I hate to argue because i feel like i am wasting precious minutes of my life, but please support your claim where structural integrity is sacrificed. you have already stated your boat was "over built" meaning that todays boats are adequately built(assuming you are using todays boats as a standard to say that your is overbuilt, there was no standard for fiberglass boats in 1960's)....not over built and material wasted. Please support your claims, it really helps support your argument

He said "Not that this is a bad thing unless the manufacturer and his bean counters are sacrificing structural integrity for the bottom line", the implication begin that structural integrity is one of the features that could be lost for the benefit of speed and accommodations.

Why did you jump on that?
__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 22:19   #419
Eternal Member
 
wolfenzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Port Ludlow, WA (NW corner of Puget Sound)
Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Gents, I'm not sure there's much more to say here. I don't think the OP got an answer, nor can there be an answer with much agreement. The bs factor is getting more intense as arguments need to be buttressed. On the internet everybody's an expert. I sure am.

If a Trekka, a Shrimpy, a Piver plywood trimaran with polyester resin are all bluewater cruising capable, and the facts say they are, then pretty much most boats are; a point made many times in this never ending thread that has drifted further than debris from Japan.

What I hate to read, and I think it lessens the value of the forum as well, is the continuing argument that old fashioned boats sail as well, or are better in any relevant way than modern designs. Love yer boats mates but don't lay no boogie woogie on the kings of rock n roll.
What bugs me equally as much is all old design boats are lumped together to point out how they are all inferior to all modern design boats
and in music the kings of rock n roll would be considered old fashion compared to the modern stuff
__________________
"It is better to die living than live dieing" (Tolstoy para-phrased by Jimmy Buffet)
"Those who think they know everything piss off those of us who do"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 01:25   #420
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey
Boat: Little Harbor 46
Posts: 73
Re: Bluewater Cruising Capability

Ah! Sounds like your old design behaves like my LH, Ted Hood certainly designed boats that like sailing, of course its a matter of balance. My main point though, is that this thread is about what boat to go to sea in, and boats that bend (Bendy toys?) are not what I want in serious weather! My LH definitely doesnt bend! I saw a holed Jeanneau in Turkey this summer, and I was quite shocked at the lack of hull thickness. The argument will no doubt be that modern techniques allow lighter build and better boat speed, bendy boats are not of necessity bad, but I know where I would rather be in bad weather way out at sea!
__________________

__________________
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Do Hunters Make Good Bluewater / Liveaboard Boats ? elliebell General Sailing Forum 274 16-11-2014 18:11
For Sale: VHFs, Offshore Medical Kit, Cruising Guides, Chart Cards, etc. svdreamkeeper Classifieds Archive 0 04-12-2011 18:10
For Sale: Cruising Guides and Sailing Resource Books svdreamkeeper Classifieds Archive 3 23-11-2011 12:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.