Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 13:54   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Bluewater Cruiser, or Not ?

So, my wife and i are looking at new used boats in the 34' to 38' range. Our usual sailing grounds are from Gloucester ma down through the Vineyard, but would like to go further and Bermuda is a goal someday. Usually SW summer trade winds are light around our area, but they can pick up through Buzzards bay and can blow 20 to 25kts. So from looking around we really like the Cabo Rico 38 and Tayana 37 for blue water cruisers. Others that we like are the Bristol 35.5 and the cape dory 36.
Some of the reasons why we like the Cabo's so much is the layout, quality of construction, displacement, tankage, and the overall lines of the boat. My concern buying a cabo rico is they are not cheap boats and would I be buying more boat then what I need. I know it's a personal choice, but I'm big on safety and if we get stuck in a blow I want to be able to reduce sail and still make it to our destination safely or to any destionation if plans need to change. I just don't want to get too much boat if that makes sense. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appriciated.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue water cruiser or not

Go Cabo Rico.... Quality Boat... Quality build....
Thats why they hold their price so well...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:04   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Blue water cruiser or not

The boats you mention are well know heavy displacement boats and therefore are on the comfort side if medium rough out (I don't beleive anything we are talking about here is comfortable in the real roughconditions). But I wouldn't say they are any safer than other boats unless you are in the camp of older heavy boats are safer and there is no point in trying to talk you out of it. And I'm not trashing the boats you specified.

You can reduce sail and ride out the same things 99.9% on just about any boat. More about your choices than the boat.

I sail the same exact area as you; so ask yourself do you really want the heavy boat boat for that 0.1% of use, or do you want to enjoy more of the other 99.9% of sailing time? I was in the heavy displacement camp till just recently till I decided I wanted a boat that sailed more than motored.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:06   #4

Cabo Rico 38 is so nice...I wish I could afford one.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:09   #5

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Blue water cruiser or not

Tayana 37, more bluewater cruising than any other. Our Hans 34T is from the same mold and will take anything handed her. And Tayana's are 1/2 the price, but there are many worthy vessels to choose from. Happy hunting.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:12   #6

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Re: Bluewater Cruiser, or Not ?

All the boats you mentioned are good boats. And I doubt you'll ever say "gee, I don't need a good boat."
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I'm with Don on this. With just a modicum of common sense and weather forecast the chance of hitting the perfect storm between N England and Bermuda is almost zero.

99% of the time the boat will handle more than the crew. If you do get hit with a blow, 99% of the boats will be a similar comfort level if you reef down. I think the main difference is the heavy cruisers might be able to carry on sailing a little longer with a little more comfort than a lighter displacement boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue water cruiser or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Tayana 37, more bluewater cruising than any other. Our Hans 34T is from the same mold and will take anything handed her. And Tayana's are 1/2 the price, but there are many worthy vessels to choose from. Happy hunting.
I could argue that point by saying that the bulk of multi$ buyers get boats bigger than their 'Cohone's'.... and some the other way round....
but I won't.....
Depends whether he wants to minimise depreciation.. or not bothered...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:20   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Dave,

I have a Cabo Rico 38 and you're right they are pretty sea kindly. You are also right about them being pricey. What you might find as a downside is maintaining all that lovely teak, inside and out. It has to be a labor of love although over the years I've found that if I do the job right the first time and do the touch up before it gets away from me, its not too bad. I don't mind since I enjoy just puttzing about on the boat. They do tend to be a bit stern heavy. I have 80 gal of water under the v-berth and when that's gone the bow rises about 3 in. It doesn't seem to affect the sailing qualities but the deck drains aren't quite as efficient. They like to sail relatively upright. Put a rail under, which takes some doing, and you will slow down and not be able to point to windward very well. With proper sail she will heel to where the rail is about a foot or so out of the water and just lock there. She is not a particularly slow boat but as a cutter rig she will not point quite as high as a sloop.

My second choice when I bought this boat was the Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37. Not quite so much wood to maintain but the canoe stern eliminates some potential storage space. I do like cutter rigs.

Have fun looking,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 14:31   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

When you say "more boat than I need", what specifically do you mean? More stowage? More sail area? Too much tankage (not possible in a cruiser, I thought!).

CB38s are indeed beautiful, but as noted above, I do not care to be enslaved by the Epiphanes firm, fine as their products may be. The Tayana 37 is proven, but again...all that teak!

You might wish to consider something like an Alberg 37 if you want a quality, old-school "comfort" ride, and wish to save a few bucks. But you are definitely looking at the right class of boats for a smooth, stable, slow ride.

S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:15   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

jeepers, the underbody is out of the steam age ( barn door rudders - please)

Dave
Old 14-03-2011, 15:23   #12

Boat: Tayana 37

Don,
I do agree with you and it is a concern that the area we sail we do get some light winds and I don't really want to power, but when we do sail we usually are out for the entire day heading off shore to see what marine animals we can find.
I have looked at the alberg 37's before I bought my current boat and they do have some decent space, but they are just a little too long in the tooth for me. Finding one that doesn't have deck issues or needing the engine replaced would be very difficult.
I guess when the weather gets a little warmer we'll really take our time and see what we want. I don't have to buy anything because we still have our current boat. I'm leaning more towards the Cabo's and for another reason because their draft is 5 feet. I really don't want any more then that due to where we sail or want to sail. Any more thoughts on this are welcome and thanks for the comments already posted.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:24   #13

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

My second choice when I bought this boat was the Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37. Not quite so much wood to maintain but the canoe stern eliminates some potential storage space. I do like cutter rigs.

Have fun looking,
Rich[/QUOTE]
Not bragging, cause I'm not a racer, but I showed one of these my bow then broadside and then stern for 20 miles in 30 kts in our Hans 34. We were both well loaded and it was straight downwind, maybe not the Crealocks strongsuit. But they sure are pretty!
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:58   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post

(...)

Usually SW summer trade winds are light around our area, but they can pick up through Buzzards bay and can blow 20 to 25kts. So from looking around we really like the Cabo Rico 38 and Tayana 37 for blue water cruisers. Others that we like are the Bristol 35.5 and the cape dory 36.

(...)

Some of the reasons why we like the Cabo's so much is the layout, quality of construction, displacement, tankage, and the overall lines of the boat.

(...)

I'm big on safety and if we get stuck in a blow I want to be able to reduce sail and still make it to our destination safely or to any destionation if plans need to change.

(...)
Hi,

You are quite lucky to be looking for boats in the range where there are countless good options. The boats you named seem all to be on the heavy side though. If your local area is light and the conditions you expect to max out at 25 knots then these designs may be less than optimum (still - great cruising boats).

If you like the layout and other features of a boat then put this one high up on your list - you will be sailing some, but living in the boat full time!

Last but not least, do not be tempted into the alley of a 'safe, strong boat that will take care of herself and her crew'. There is no proof to this end. Safety of the crew and the boat in bad weather will depend to a large extent on your skills and your decisions. I have seen more that one heavy displacement, strong as brick boat get into trouble as soon as the crew 'let her take care of the crew' (again - a strong boat is great - just make sure your sailing skills are also great).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:08   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
Don,
I do agree with you and it is a concern that the area we sail we do get some light winds and I don't really want to power, but when we do sail we usually are out for the entire day heading off shore to see what marine animals we can find.
Dave
I do the same thing! And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with you wanting that heavier type of boat. Yet I have only once ever came back from Provincetown where I got to sail the whole way. Yet I've been out reefed in the area with the wind 30+ and except for the wind noise the ride was just like in 15 knot wind.

This time last year I was thinking I wanted the heavy boat and would have to give up sailing performance overall. I just figured I wouyld give you the other side of the option world.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, water