Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 09:34   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Bluewater Boat List

The work has already been done! Scroll down after you get to the site for tons of info on cruising boats and finally the list.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:07   #2

Re: Bluewater Boat List

And a second list: (mainly smaller boats mostly full keel and tiller)

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Old 13-11-2012, 12:56   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The work has already been done! Scroll down after you get to the site for tons of info on cruising boats and finally the list.

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
the best part of this list isn't the list of boats at all, it's the discussion of various design factors that goes along with it

the list has been discussed lots of times here in the past, the most notable thing abut the boats listed are the ones that are missing that should be on it!

not much help unless you need to have a listed boat to feel better about your choice, but then are you really ready to make a buying decision if that is the case?
Old 13-11-2012, 14:17   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience

Seems to me should be on vendors?
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 16:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
the best part of this list isn't the list of boats at all, it's the discussion of various design factors that goes along with it

the list has been discussed lots of times here in the past, the most notable thing abut the boats listed are the ones that are missing that should be on it!

not much help unless you need to have a listed boat to feel better about your choice, but then are you really ready to make a buying decision if that is the case?
Well, I'm sorry your boat isn't on either of these lists you being a Hunter owner and all, but everyone doesn't spend all their time on the internet and may have missed the earlier threads.

All kidding aside though, these are two awesome websites for beginners to get an idea about bluewater boats. I think the Atom Voyages Site list is really good for folks on a budget or singlehanders whereas the Mahina list has some pretty nice but expensive boats listed. Both are very educational. The Atom Voyages site has tons of info.
Old 13-11-2012, 16:59   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
I agree those are pretty good sights.
Im starting a site that is listing the boats that were not listed. Just so nobody is left out. First up Peterson 44 Built overseas at several yards, brothels and saloons. We suspect the same mold was used for all the hulls. The molds were likely pushed from one saloon to another where the semi sober talent tried to remember what they did the last time. most were built well all have something wrong with them not one is the same.
Hunter 410 Built In US rumors are these will dissolve to osmotic mush. However most owners say they are happy and have only had fair winds and pleasant sailing since owning one. This may mean that the owners of mushy hunters are dead, the evidence has dissolved and no witnesses survived. Or the boats aren't really as bad as all the rumors.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 17:09   #7

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

My boats not on either list and I was going for a sail this arvo. What will I do now?
Old 13-11-2012, 17:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
My boats not on either list and I was going for a sail this arvo. What will I do now?
No need to cry if your boat isn't on the list , it's simply a nice starting point for a beginning sailor that wants an idea of what makes a good offshore or bluewater boat...............
Old 13-11-2012, 18:42   #9
CLOD

Hey I don't care my boat isn't on a "list" and that wasn't my point at all. I read all those lists back when I was drinking the Kool Aid and before I started to judge boats by their construction and not the internet.

Heck feel free to limit yourself to those lists! After all that will reduce the number of old tank boats to chase down and prevent you from even considering most boats built after 1985. Look at all the time saved!

I remember coming across a book in the bookstore once about 20 "great" boats. The funny thing was that I had already read lots of trashing elsewhere about half the boats listed. So once your choose your list marker or book writer don't read others because that will be completely different.
Old 13-11-2012, 18:49   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry your boat isn't on either of these lists you being a Hunter owner and all, but everyone doesn't spend all their time on the internet and may have missed the earlier threads.

Is this because you are all happy your Bristol is on the list (I don't know if it is because I haven't looked at list now in years)?
Old 13-11-2012, 18:49   #11

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Good Info to post Thomm225

Where's the list of Bluewater sailors? I would like to see that list, and the boats they sail in open oceans. Albiet, is a good list for people like me who are new to sailing, to give a little direction in which boats to be looking for that suits what kind of sailing choices are out there.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:36   #12

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Thanks for posting this list Tomm225. I had been unaware of this one. Good info!

I am reading responses to your post and it made me wonder why some boats are not on either list? Apparently some think the lists are incomplete. Why have some been left off? Are there inherant flaws, inadaquate material or design or simply just not listed? Maybe just over time these listed designs have proven to get people home and some of the newer non listed ones have not had a chance to stand the test of time quite yet. I guess time will tell.
Instead of jabbing at one another about listed or non listed boats why not list reasons why you think a particular make, model or design should or should not be on such a list.

I love my Alberg 30 and it was mentioned on Atom Voyages and John Vigors book, this helped me make my decision about what boat was right for me and MY needs. Good luck to all on bluewater passages, listed or not listed.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:38   #13

Quote:
And a second list: (mainly smaller boats mostly full keel and tiller)

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
This list seems to be geared more toward "Trailer Sailors?"
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:43   #14

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Coincidentally, I posted those two sites fairly recently.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 19:45   #15

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Good Info to post Thomm225

Where's the list of Bluewater sailors? I would like to see that list, and the boats they sail in open oceans. Albiet, is a good list for people like me who are new to sailing, to give a little direction in which boats to be looking for that suits what kind of sailing choices are out there.

Such a list would be great, but look around the internet. lots of blogs and websites of cruisers. Atom Voyages is one I pay attention to because he has circumnavigated twice in the type boat I like and can afford. I can also relate to his KISS methods on sailing. Others may disagree, that is ok and also why there are SO many different sailboats to chose from.

take a look at this fellow www.thesimplesailor.com, very impressive sailor in a 21ft boat, I would like to see what he had to say about the "list"
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote