Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 16:15   #16

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcam View Post
Can anyone give me a list of boats that are proven ocean cruisers simmilar to an alberg 37.
Alberg 35!

Contessa 32 is a serious ocean boat, but you'll be hard pressed to find a boat over 35 feet at the $40k mark that doesn't need something expensive in the refit department (it has been known to happen though). An Alberg 37 was listed at $39k (CDN) last year. From the photos, it was in pristine condition, with a Monitor windvane. The engine had about 2000-2500 hours on it.
Old 11-08-2010, 17:16   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Thats the spirit WAIT for another 40K and then life will get in the way and your dream will shrivel and die. Nike has it right "just do it".
+1 on the "just do it".

Don't get caught in the "just one more .." trap.
Old 11-08-2010, 17:26   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Finding a boat exactly the way you want it for water sailing">blue water sailing for any price is next to impossible. My boat was designed for and used extensively for blue water cruising by a man with a solid reputation for designing ocean cruisers, but I am still putting alot of time and effort into getting it the way I want. I figure after gutting and rebuilding the interior, refitting topsides, rig etc to my tastes, adding self steering vane, radar, wind generator, solar panels, SSB, compuer nav, updated VHF, etc....everything will have cost me around $25,000. (boat + $8,000 + 3 years of my life).
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 17:55   #19

Boat: Ingrid 38 Cutter S/V Kokopelli
We are on our 2nd Bluewater Ingird 38, both of our Ingrids were under $40K..They are stout & can handle heavy seas. You just have to look around .It's a buyers market where sailboats are concerned. If you want it to be all fancy & pretty like you'll have a hard time with the less than 40K..
FLKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 19:21   #20
Eternal Member

The Hughes 38 AKA S&S 38 AKA Northstar 38 is a strong boat which has done very well offshore.

These can be had in various states of "readiness" for less than $40K. I personally know of one which went for under $10K and, while cosmetically challenged, was in good mechanical condition with newish sails.

See this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ore-43313.html

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:45   #21

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
+1 on the "just do it".

Don't get caught in the "just one more .." trap.
Venturing out in a boat that is unsuitable and that you wish you hadn't bought-- especially when the maintenance issues become overwhelming-- is another kind of trap. How many boats in various stages of disrepair are sitting unsold (and deteriorating) in the Carribean or other popular cruising destinations? There is someone's broken dream associated with each one of those boats.

Do you want to spend two years working on the boat to get it ready, or two years working to earn more money to buy a boat in better condition?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you want to spend two years working on the boat to get it ready, or two years working to earn more money to buy a boat in better condition?
I don't think its an either or proposition. As several posters have pointed out you can find well equipped, ready to go boats for $40K. It is very much a buyers market these days. Here's a beauty in Annapolis that I'm sure you could probably get for $40K.

1976 Ingrid Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03   #23

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Yes, I've seen this listing for the Ingrid. The brokers have done a nice job of highlighting her strengths. But she hasn't sold for over a year, and I guess I'd like to see a survey, since she's 35 years old.

Take a look at the section of the listing entitled "Galley and Plumbing" to get just some idea of the additional work needed to get this boat ready. The standing and running rigging is over 10 years old, and the latter will likely need replacement unless she was stored inside. My guess is that you would need, at a minimum, 20K more to get her ready for sea, plus a good deal of sweat equity.

I would go with Drew13440's advice and opt for for something smaller like a Southern Cross 31 or Allied Seawind II before I would touch the Ingrid.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09   #24

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Couldn't you just buy a 'normal' boat and not beat the crap out of it?

We sure havent found it a necessity.

Perhaps a better look at Lin & Larry Pardy's books will show that heaving to does better than bashing a boat up.
Agreed Mark,

Short story,
In my earlier days, I did a mass amount of Ultra Marathon Cycling, and It was normal for me to keep 3 sets of wheels for each bike rode, One set on the bike, one set in the shop being repaired, and a third set in the van as replacements..
did this for years...
Then did a long distance training rode, from Sacramento, to Ashland Oergon, and back down the coast.. well over a 1000 miles and when I got back, I stopped in the shop, "Corsa Cycles" and mentioned to Peter that the last set of wheels he built for me was fantastic, as I did the complete trip on one set of wheels and they were still true.........
His Remark to Me,
"Its Not The Wheels, You Finally Learned To Ride A Bike"

The same holds true while sailing... When I hear someone bragging about going out in 35 to 40 knots of wind and bashing against the waves, All I can see is what an Idot he is... With the avalibality of the electronics and real time weather, there is no need for anyone to expose themselves to advirse conditions, Unless your trying to inpress someone..
Taking a beating on an ocean crossing is only due to your own stupity..................................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16   #25
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
check out the westsail 32 if you don't need an ocean speedster but instead a full keeled cruiser built like a rock
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Beware that although it appear forecast today are now somewhat easier than yesterday because we have so much information available to tell us about weather and conditions - electronics break down. Your weather analysis can be flawed. Weather reports can be 8 or more hours late. High altitude sailing weather can be unpredictable. Lows can in some cases develop out of nowhere and suddenly you are in a squash zone. But, I agree that bragging about the winds you have been through is idiotic.

OTOH, you cannot be driven by weather fear. You also need to introspect a bit on what kind of sailing you like to do and also where you will be heading. If you are headed in a typical tropical circumnavigation or sailing in this area, that opens you up to more possible options in terms of boats, and perhaps away from heavy traditional full keel designs which are slow, deep draft which impeded shallow areas, and are difficult to maneuver. If you are headed in high latitude sailing, the heavy keel boat may be more comfortable than a racer/cruiser.

My main point is I would not disregard fast performance/cruiser or racer/cruiser designs. There is a lot of benefit in speed, agility, and roominess to consider, and if you are headed in more of a tropical area, this would be something sail-ient to decide on to get you from A to B. If you are also used to racing and have that kind of personality, a westsail32 might also drive you crazy.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I agree with others that a 37' pretty much anything is going to range from a basket case to something that needs a fair amount of work if you're only willing to pay $40k. If you could go up $10-$20K you might get lucky and find a Tayana 37 in decent shape, or perhaps maybe a good Pearson. And what's wrong with an Alberg 37?
Old 12-08-2010, 14:30   #28

You might also look at Pearson 365's. Several on the market now in your price range and they are good cruisers without being too heavy.
Old 12-08-2010, 16:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, I've seen this listing for the Ingrid. The brokers have done a nice job of highlighting her strengths. But she hasn't sold for over a year, and I guess I'd like to see a survey, since she's 35 years old.

Take a look at the section of the listing entitled "Galley and Plumbing" to get just some idea of the additional work needed to get this boat ready. The standing and running rigging is over 10 years old, and the latter will likely need replacement unless she was stored inside. My guess is that you would need, at a minimum, 20K more to get her ready for sea, plus a good deal of sweat equity.

I would go with Drew13440's advice and opt for for something smaller like a Southern Cross 31 or Allied Seawind II before I would touch the Ingrid.
It realy does not matter how much you pay for your boat, the PO will not be selling a brand new ready to go boat. Always expect to spend about 20% bringing any boat up to scratch and a bit more to go off shore. Most boats are sold because the PO can see the work and expence ahead. JMHO.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
It realy does not matter how much you pay for your boat, the PO will not be selling a brand new ready to go boat. Always expect to spend about 20% bringing any boat up to scratch and a bit more to go off shore. Most boats are sold because the PO can see the work and expence ahead. JMHO.
When we bought last year we were looking exclusively at boats outfitted for cruising. The best deals, and there were several, were boats that were on the market because one party had either become to ill to cruise or had died. Sad but true. In some cases the electronics were getting dated, but the rest of the gear was usually in fair/good shape. Ours in ready to go and the most expensive thing we've done is replace the stove which was $1,000 + my labor.