Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04   #1

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Bluewater Boat

hi there everyone
this is my first post on this site. I am eager to learn from experienced members/boat-owners that which ocean going monohull boats can be obtained in a moderate budget of 37k-50k USD. length 31-36ft. looks are not an issue :-) i am interested in boat having good seakeeping qualities. after having searched many sites, i find only Catalinas fitting my budget.
Nauticats, Halberg Rossy are pretty expensive. so please advise.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07   #2

I picked up a 1986 Tosca 36 sloop for under your budget, and then it cost another $15K to get it shipshape. Granted, that was a deal, since I've seen them go for far more than that.

The Tosca was designed by Angelo Lavranos (good stuff) and was built in Durban, South Africa (also good stuff). A priori, you won't have any blistering, delamination or loose bulkhead issues. Fit and finish can vary widely with these boats since they were outfitted and finished by owners. It's broad of beam and a center cockpit, but is surprisingly fast (we've seen sustained 8.5 knots under ideal conditions, which is 1.5 knots faster than it should go).

One of the reasons I bought this boat because of its blue water abilities and its robustness. I have not been disappointed.
tosca36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 19:42   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Story, you might want to search on the MANY EXISTING THREADS about what a bluewater boat might be.

In terms of price, what you want to spend doesn't really matter. The price of a solid hull, refitting everything aboard form the cabinets to the bilgeboards so they will remain in place during a rollover (battery boxeds and mast step too these days), carrying sufficient tankage for cruising, replacing all the rigging if it is 10-15 years old, adding storm panels ot the portlights, whether you want to go out with a good set of new sails or just flog around on old rags....

Add a life raft and your $30,000 budget could be consumed simply in bringing your boat up to what some would call minimum standards. Others would say that if YOU have the experience and skills, you can just go as is.

Plenty of existing threads here and elsewhere about this.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:55   #5

thanks so far everyone who have put in their 2 cents. I have searched many sites and have a rough picture that 80K+ should be the budget to get hold of a good passage making boat with refits as hellosailor has said.
I checked the wetsails full keel boats too (i have a link up there) they look sturdy n comfortable but too slow.
An agent recommended me southern cross 31. again its an old boat and have to spend money to get it to shipshape.
So I should probably wait and have more budget before I step in a boat :-)

Also, what about these Beneteaus, Hunters, Dufours, and Bavarias? these are fast boats allright and may be average seakeeping (in terms of riding out storms). Do these boats ever cross Atlantic, come to Indian ocean, make long passages or they just hang around in continental America and Europe? I am asking this because I am from India.
regards
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
The mighty Hallberg Rassy Rasmus is indeed within your budget. How much modernization you're capable of both financially and mechanically is the real question.
rasmus hallberg Boats For Sale
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:08   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Namaste....
Check out MarkJ.... he's circumnavigating in a Beneteau... I've personally solo'd 2 Beneteau's (321 & 331) across the Atlantic the 'Hard Way'.. West to East... they and Jeaneaus (better sail performance) are just fine as long as you sail at the 'Right Time of Year'...
Do it in hurricane season.... well thats asking for trouble...lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:21   #8

@anzo: thanks, i checked the link you sent. HR Rasmus are good. I wonder how much will i have to spend on the refit of their hull and rigigng as they are 34 years old.
what is your view on Tartan 3100/3400 S&S design. i saw one on yachtworld then lost the link. :-(
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Here ya go... a $39K 1998 321 Beneteau for sale...
http://www.bviyachtsales.com/core/li...=bviyachtsales&
Jeaneau 37...http://www.bviyachtsales.com/core/li...bviyachtsales&
Or... if you want a $39K Classic blue water try this....
http://www.bviyachtsales.com/core/li...=bviyachtsales&

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:36   #10

hi boatman61,
well thats very good to hear that. congrats! beneteau's do look good and have good sail power. who doesn't want a good looking boat :-) but the problem is what happens if the bad weather catches you if you are on a long passage? that scares me. I have seen 6000 ton destroyers tossing like a champagne cork and myself puking while at watch on a bridge 35 ft high.
i think the bottomline is to have atleast 80K USD for the boat and refitment. I will have to wait.
what's your opinions on Tartan?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
hi boatman61,
well thats very good to hear that. congrats! beneteau's do look good and have good sail power. who doesn't want a good looking boat :-) but the problem is what happens if the bad weather catches you if you are on a long passage? that scares me. I have seen 6000 ton destroyers tossing like a champagne cork and myself puking while at watch on a bridge 35 ft high.
i think the bottomline is to have atleast 80K USD for the boat and refitment. I will have to wait.
what's your opinions on Tartan?
LOL.... the above takes me back in time to replenishments at sea... up on the foc'sle manning the distance line in a F8 during the 'Cod Wars'.... hooking my legs round a stanchion so's I did not take off as the bow dropped of a wave and so's I didn't get washed away by the next which we usually ploughed through... Happy Daze...

The trick is don't fight it... its bigger than you... you heave to.. go below and rest up with warm drinks and a good book... no point sitting up there losing energy and moral.... As for Tartans... they're a US boat so my knowledge is limited... but they do have a good name with many here... I'll leave judgement to the 'Knowledgable'...

Old 10-11-2010, 05:52   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the tartan 37 would be worth checking into and is a nice looking boat as well look for new rigging. the westsail 32 would be fine for singlehanding and is built like a rock .. not good for maneuvering in a marina but great for straight line long distances and rough seas !! again look for new rigging and sail hardware. you can do it.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL.... the above takes me back in time to replenishments at sea... up on the foc'sle manning the distance line in a F8 during the 'Cod Wars'.... hooking my legs round a stanchion so's I did not take off as the bow dropped of a wave and so's I didn't get washed away by the next which we usually ploughed through... Happy Daze...

warships would always be serious sailing. the fun part was short sailing expeditions on small sailing boats around 23-26ft. we would do everything a segoing person shouldn't do :-) groundings and mock pirate fights. we were young then and caution was least on our mind. even enjoyed the rugged British navy Whalers. Boatswain mates called them "unsinkable".

back to present. now for some serious sailboat sailing. need to have a good boat for some 'ambitious' sailing. will have a look at your link you sent. send me your e-mail id too. mine is storyinframes@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2010, 06:11   #14

can someone direct me to a link which lists all the sailboats with their stability, capsizing factors and all. I was looking at one yesterday, forgot to mark it as 'favourite'.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:17   #15

That'll buy you a 30+ foot Cape Dory...a tad more sailboat than a Catalina..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote