Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 10:28   #31

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
[QUOTE=rover88;557665]Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale

Look for:

Bristol
Cabo Rico
CSY
Hallberg Rassy
Island Packet
Pacific Seacraft
Sparkman & Stephens
Tartan
Tayana

thanks for the selection of boats. i checked on various sites and most of them are affordable provided i increase my budget for refit.
thanks.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57   #32

have any modern production fast sailboats have crossed any CAPE? Is that possible Mark? with some planning of course.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:30   #33

read many other threads and I think that not many toe the phrase "blue water boat". they seem to be happy with their Hunters and Bennys and don't mind stretching their legs on ocean passage.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:44   #34

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Nickel summary: It seems that the generic advice is to prefer active storm sailing tactics to passive, and to match the tactic to the nature of the conditions. So running off works in moderate nastiness whereas heaving to, for boats that it will work well for, may be necessary in worse. Warps aft or drogues forward have their use. And lying ahull seems controversial or risky. And predicting and being aware of the weather and knowing how to get out of the way of the worst (such as for tropical anticyclones) of it seems golden.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
read many other threads and I think that not many toe the phrase "blue water boat". they seem to be happy with their Hunters and Bennys and don't mind stretching their legs on ocean passage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyinframes View Post
have any modern production fast sailboats have crossed any CAPE? Is that possible Mark? with some planning of course.
I really don't know if you are just pulling our legs and having a little joke at people expense here.

Go find out the type of boat that was the overall winner of last years Sydney - Hobart yacht race.

In fact find out who came first and second.

No I won't do the work for you.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 13:32   #36

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You'll die! Just like if you are in a Tartan if it sinks. Death either way.
It should scare you. Mind you, the bodies found floating amongst Beneteau debris are 36% better looking than bodies off Full Keelers.

*By Focus Group, University of California 1998
...and the large volume of them make these accurater statistics so much easier to collect

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 13:37   #37

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Just remember, 90% of male bodies recovered by the CG have their fly down. Storms aren't your only worry.

Capsize Calculator, for any boat.
Capsize Calculator

So... more flashers take up sailing than any other demographic, and are not very good at it??
The things you can do with statistics

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:18   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here ya go... a $39K 1998 321 Beneteau for sale...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
Jeaneau 37...BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.
Or... if you want a $39K Classic blue water try this....
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
Sheesh, that Ben 321 is about £25k this side of the pond and that makes it quite a bargin at that price even if it is an ex charter boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:49   #39

Quote:
I really don't know if you are just pulling our legs and having a little joke at people expense here.

Go find out the type of boat that was the overall winner of last years Sydney - Hobart yacht race.

I see that a Bavaria crew did not go down with the ship and managed to come 3rd in PHS

I'm disappointed to not see as single Jeanneau in the entry list for the past 10 year... maybe I have bought a dud brand or they are sailed by champagne and bikini's sailors
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:17   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I see that a Bavaria crew did not go down with the ship and managed to come 3rd in PHS
PHS Overall: 3, Namadgi (Canberra Ocean Racing Club, ACT), Bavaria 44, 04:16:12:30.

Crikey! Good on them and they were only 8 hours behind the overall winners on corrected time! That not bad at all.

We'd like to see those Bikini girls in the cool weather of the Tassie coast There must be a Jeneau or 2 in there somewhere.

Old 11-11-2010, 15:31   #41

I am trying to arrange my own Swedish bikini team to crew on my boat, but that will be Greece
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:39   #42

Quote:

Hey MarkJ

I am surely not pulling your leg, be rest assured.
what I meant from my previous statement (looks like it wasnt phrased properly) is as follows :

I am asking recommendations for a blue water boat, right. A lot of people have given their options like cape dory, southern cross, wetsails n all. these are heavy or medium displacement slow moving boats but have good seakeeping qualities (have a long heavy keel) and can ride out stormy seas if one intends sailing in high seas. I think these are good suggestions and recommendations to any new sailor who would intend to sail in oceans in the near future.

As human nature is we get attracted to aesthetics too. So we look at good looking boats like Beneteaus, Jean, bavarias etc and wonder why can't I buy one cheap and sail around. A lot of suggestions, factors, ratios, and formulas are tossed in to show that these are light and fast moving boats not medium/heavy cruisers.

fine. you can't have both.
partially wrong. the reason is not in just in various factors and ratios that qaulify a boat to be ocean going - it is about PRECEDENCE.

boatman61 drew my attention to markj who is sailing around the world in a Beneteau. wow. I googled and found that are some more people sailing in lighter boats. They don't get bogged down by factors. they know their craft and sail. Maybe, one day some guy will set out to round cape horn too and all you might know he may do it with a NEW style these light boats expect you to.

thats what i mean people have lighter boats take them out to sea and stretch their legs and cross the ocean fast.

cheers
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41   #43

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2010.. The Yachts

and Beneteau has seem to do well in Sydney Hobart race.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:46   #44

sorry the earlier one is the wrong link this is right link

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2010.. Handicap winner still in balance
Old 12-11-2010, 07:19   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Overall winner Sydney Hobart
IRC overall: 1, Two True (Andrew Saies, SA), Beneteau First 40, corrected time 04 days 07hr 57min 43sec; 2, Wicked (Mike Welsh, Vic), Beneteau First 40, 04:08:39:08;

Quote:
Two True, one of the first new Farr-designed Beneteau First 40 stock production racer/cruiser to be imported into Australia, won IRC overall by 42 minutes from another new First 40, Wicked (Mike Welsh) after a close race-long duel in which they followed a similar strategy - stay well east of the rhumbline.

Owner-skipper Saies thanked his crew, which raced the two prior Sydney Hobart Races on his previous boat True North, a Beneteau First 40. "The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race cannot be won without a great team, a great boat and an ounce of Sydney Hobart luck. Our team are fabulous guys. We have worked together for the past three years on my previous boat True North." Saies particularly thanked Brett Young, his team and boat manager. "Energetic, tireless work ethic, great understanding of the rules."

He said the race was a physical endurance event over 628 miles. "The wind was in, the wind was out, we drifted, we went backwards, we lost internet access, we didn't know what was going on until the last few minutes. It was a classic Rolex Sydney Hobart event and we were in it up to our back teeth and it came our way in the end.

"Great boat, this new Beneteau it just jumps out of the water, jumped a bit too hard in the last day or so in those big short waves. It's a fast boat, we had belief that this boat was going to rate well and do okay in this event, if the weather conditions allowed a small boat event.
"We may be privileged enough to have a boat and a team that gets to this position as people have in the past. But in yacht racing to have everything going right in one event at the right time is probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2010.. Overall Race Winner Confirmed

Now if you need more look up the Fastnet race...

So you can now appreciate that when people slam a brand name like Beneteau they are really just showing how ignorant they are.

Thats not to say every model is correct for every sailor, it doesn't, it just says to approach the world with an open and relistic mind.