Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 14:03   #256

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The boat looks like it was abandoned, with little hull damage.
Joshua is still sailing . The 40 ft plastic boat which landed on her was demolished in minutes, with little left of her. The same would have happened to Joshua, had she been plastic.
According to the locals to whom Bernard gave Joshua, they shoveled the sand out of her, got a bulldozer to shove her bodily across the beach and into the water and then banged out the dents in the hull with a sledgehammer. Did little else to "refit" her, but she was always a rough boat. Yes, steel has its advantages... but the only other boat that was successfully refloated and then sailed away (of the 40+ that went ashore) was an Olsen 40, which is a fibreglass ULDB from Santa Cruz -- quite the opposite end of the construction spectrum.

We made the acquaintance of the new owners of Joshua in La Paz in 1986 when they and we used our two masts as a gantry to restep the mast of a low-bucks trimaran. They were having a ball with Joshua, and we have often wondered what became of them.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz
Old 19-01-2011, 17:40   #257
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Just because you have a fast car doesn't make you a good driver, by the same token just because you have a blue water boat, doesn't make you a seasoned blue water sailor....it just makes up for some of the lack of experience. A seasoned blue water sailor can take a coastal "racer/cruiser" through things most could not.
Old 19-01-2011, 18:55   #258
cruiser

Wolf:
that is some serious wisdom.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 15:10   #259
cruiser

In Tahiti, in 1978 , Moitessier , with his rigging and sails long in the tooth , having just returned form the Tuamotus, told me." You can get away with a lot , as long as you know your limitations. "

The Olsen 40 was simply lucky to have hit nothing harder than sand, and that nothing hit her. Had the large fibreglas boat, which destroyed itself landing on the Joshua, hit the Olsen, it would have been quickly demolished.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 16:09   #260
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
We made the acquaintance of the new owners of Joshua in La Paz in 1986 when they and we used our two masts as a gantry to restep the mast of a low-bucks trimaran. They were having a ball with Joshua, and we have often wondered what became of them.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove, NSW, Oz[/QUOTE]

we had a barbeque under joshua in 94 in the boat yard in riatea,french polynesia,since heard mortissiers nephew had bought the boat and sailed it back to france where i belive it is in a museum now.

the yacht had apparently been there a few years.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 22:26   #261
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
yes its in La Rochelle

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 02:30   #262

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
yes its in La Rochelle

Dave
Here's something kind of cool ... shots of Joshua on deck and inside. I assume this is current since its in La Rochelle. Site is a bit awkward though.

Joshua, inside the boat
Old 02-07-2011, 01:09   #263

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Re: Bluewater Boat

Catalina 320 and the North Sea.
Skipper Alec Blanc

http://www.catalinayachts.com/pdf/halfoffame/ACFAE.pdf
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15   #264

circumnavigation on Catalina 27 "juggernaut"

http://www.catalinayachts.com/pdf/halfoffame/ACFB0.pdf
Old 02-07-2011, 13:24   #265

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Interesting article on crossing an ocean:

Top 10 tips for an Atlantic crossing | Elaine Bunting's Blog | Yachting World

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 14:06   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Nice article, Pete. Lot of common sense things which we all overlook so often :-)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01   #267

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Meet a guy at Delta Bay Marina in the California Delta a few years ago who built his own steel boat, a motor sailor..
His attitude was that steel is real and everything else is crap.. left the delta and headed for Mexico only to cut the corner at Half Moon Bay only 45 miles south of SF and hit the rocks.. the boat broke up and went to the bottom.. and of what I've heard, he is hiding out in the mid-west under a different name..
the coasties are looking for him concerning the masive oil spill he created and the cleanup in having his boat hauled out..
My views are that a steel boat gives you a false sence of secuity.. thinking you are un-damagable..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 15:33   #268
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

So I didn't have to ask is it or isn't a blue water boat and/or what is nessesary to to get a production coastal crusier/racer acceptably close to the comfort and safety factor of a blue water boat. I simply got a boat that was designed and built as an ocean crusier, its not a production boat designed and equipped around the "average sailor" (wife and kids on weekend coastal sailing), the man that designed it and the boatbuilder who built it had extensive ocean sailing in mind.
Old 03-07-2011, 18:04   #269

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have built 2 steel boats and resurrected 3 FG boats. They both have their merits. Having said that, I have witnessed a few steel hull boats being hauled only to find the hulls terribly corroded from electrolysis. The boats were regularly bottom cleaned and zincs replaced. To me these boats should never be in a harbor. Instead out to sea or at anchor. However FG is not without problems as seen by anyone strolling along a dock. I would say the real problem lies with the husband of the vessel talking up his dreams rather than living them...JMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3
Meet a guy at Delta Bay Marina in the California Delta a few years ago who built his own steel boat, a motor sailor..
His attitude was that steel is real and everything else is crap.. left the delta and headed for Mexico only to cut the corner at Half Moon Bay only 45 miles south of SF and hit the rocks.. the boat broke up and went to the bottom.. and of what I've heard, he is hiding out in the mid-west under a different name..
the coasties are looking for him concerning the masive oil spill he created and the cleanup in having his boat hauled out..
My views are that a steel boat gives you a false sence of secuity.. thinking you are un-damagable..
It's a quite a story, I must say. Something like Titanic mini happening a century later.
" he is hiding in Midwest under a different name"
He has to. Guy has no other option. But you never know he may be back and building another steel boat under a different name ;-)