Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 03:38   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Blue Water Sailing Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
(...) they perform fine using the only criteria that matters.
There may still be some difference between 'fine' and 'excellent'. Much as I have it clear that not everybody will notice.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:14   #17

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
So how does one sail all the boats on one's list ...
It's a great idea but seriously, I can't see how a newcomer like myself could do this. ... and of course it assumes that one has enough experience to know what the boat is doing is normal or not.
This is actually a BIG stumbling block to me (and no, I do not have enough experience to tell a good boat from a not so good boat)
I am in the same situation. I have enough trouble to even identify a boat moored at a dock let alone wrangling an invite aboard or heavens an actual afternoon sailing. Maybe if one lived in California or Florida this idea would become practical.

No, for better or worse, this comes down to an exercise in engineering. Read books, understand figures of merit, weigh subjective issues, etc. and then after identifying a particular type (or types) of boat, wait for a particular instance to pop up that is geographically close enough. Nothing else is feasible.

If I am lucky and manage to get some real world experience in the mean time, all the better, but it is nothing I can count on.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
I juat found out myself that a lot of boats just don't feel great even when the wind is 15-25. I have found through sailing on many different types of boats that most of all I want a boat that is sea kindly. it seems like most peopl talk about many desires and wants without really understanding what that means. For me its all about a comfortably experience. Who cares about a 1/2 a knot faster. In an ideal world I would love to have an exact copy of my International Folkboat except that it be 32' in length with 5'-10" headroom. I have already started researching what might fit the bill.
I agree. Safety over speed, any day of the week. If you want to cross oceans quickly, it is actually cheaper and easier just to do it a 500 mph.
Victory49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 12:38   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
(...) In an ideal world I would love to have an exact copy of my International Folkboat except that it be 32' in length with 5'-10" headroom. I have already started researching what might fit the bill.
There is quite a good number of boats that are exactly what you want;

Norlinboats

Look at Fortissimo. You can buy one like this in nordic countries and in Holland.

Then there is the Contessa 32 - like a 32' Folkboat, except better!

Then there are the Rustlers, the Fantasi, etc..

Many good choices!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 12:38   #20

Boat: L 34

Ahh, man, I'm so sorry. I bought an O'Day 40 right under your nose, in Stonington for $45k that is the perfect boat. It was right on your doorstep!. I'm sure you'll find another for $50/$80k that will be just as good. I sailed mine to South Africa (91 days non-stop singlehanded) after adding a windvane/solar panel and case of beer. Don't look for the perfect boat, it does not exist. ask yourself why there are so many models of automobiles, - -it comes down to personal taste. Over time you will own many designs and will remember each fondly (or otherwise) for the times you had aboard. Don't waste time choosing, - - DO IT, - GO.!
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 13:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Water Sailing Advice

Take a look at some 'Rival's'....
1977 Rival 38A Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 13:17   #22

Boat: Grampian 26

Quote:
So how does one sail all the boats on one's list - if they are Water boats">blue water boats they are unlikely to be available for charter and if one is new to the sailing life one doesn't have any connections to call upon. I suppose one could put out a call on CF to see if someone with a particular boat will take you for a sail. It would be tough trying to do that in 'all kinds of different conditions' though and still cost you a pretty bundle for airline tickets all over the continent.
It's a great idea but seriously, I can't see how a newcomer like myself could do this. ... and of course it assumes that one has enough experience to know what the boat is doing is normal or not.
This is actually a BIG stumbling block to me (and no, I do not have enough experience to tell a good boat from a not so good boat)
Pack a big lunch and head off to your local marina and start meeting the folks that will and possibly be your slipmates.
Chat ask qquestions, mention you'd love to go for a sail one day, most will say sure, then return with how about next week.
I have taken a few people out that wanted to try sailing, overnighted with a couple as well so they could gat a feel for it.
Any reason to get out on the water works well with lots of sailors, and if you do take hold and go for it, well then i get kudo's cuz I infected another with the blitz od sailing.
And if they turn you done, then go postal on their azz and hyjack the damn thing and toss there arse's off as you round the channel marker.... lol
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 13:20   #23

Boat: Norseman 447

The Norseman 447 or one of the Najad's are great, comfy and fast passage makers. I keep saying our boat is too big but she's comfy!!
Old 22-09-2011, 14:05   #24

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
So how does one sail all the boats on one's list - if they are blue water boats they are unlikely to be available for charter and if one is new to the sailing life one doesn't have any connections to call upon. I suppose one could put out a call on CF to see if someone with a particular boat will take you for a sail. It would be tough trying to do that in 'all kinds of different conditions' though and still cost you a pretty bundle for airline tickets all over the continent.
You're quite right.
Much of the advice on a forum is theory, not practical at all and I was thinking the same as you about trying to get blue water experience on all kinds of boats in all kinds of weather... ridiculous suggestion.

But you might get somewhere if you browse the net, Yachtworld, Sailboat Listings etc to find the type of boat that catches your eye. Then try to find if there is an owners' association, club, forum etc, and you will find an enthusiastic group with information, and often more than willing to take you out for a bit of a sail if they're anywhere close.
Also check out cruising clubs and associations.

Good luck

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 14:50   #25

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

stocph:

A little over a year ago I was in the same situation as you are now. I live in Eastern, Oregon 700 miles from the Ocean. I had done some sailing and had retired a year earlier.

I used the internet and did a lot of studying. I was kind of overwhelmed but finally focused into Sparkman and Stevens designs as some of the best blue water boats that are out there. Many people on the forum helped me understand some of the good points. I settled on some good points that balanced fair speed and stability in some of there designs. Such as a fin keel with skeg hung rudder, instead of a full keel. This really narrowed my search.

I had developed a list of boats that met my needs and price range. These boats were built in the late 1960's to early 70's and I had read about good quality of fiberglass in many boats built in that time.

So I was looking at boats from 35 to 40 feet. I looked at CrissCraft Apachie 37, Hinkley 38, Choey Lee Sigma 36 and Swan 36.

I lucked out I think and found a Swan 36 I could afford in pretty good shape and have spent about 30% above purchase price to get her up to my standards for off shore cruising. Some or many of these older boats have been well maintained or refurbished and my be a good consideration.

Have made two 7 day passages in her include one with a day in force 8 and she handled great. I sail with a friend with lots of sailing experience who gave me some advice as well.

So the best advice I have (only since I had to go through the same experience) is before looking at specific boats to look at a design and/or designer many are replicated by different builders. This helps narrow the search.

Good Luck

Taildraggerdriver
taildragerdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 15:41   #26
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
You're quite right.
Much of the advice on a forum is theory, not practical at all and I was thinking the same as you about trying to get blue water experience on all kinds of boats in all kinds of weather... ridiculous suggestion.

But you might get somewhere if you browse the net, Yachtworld, Sailboat Listings etc to find the type of boat that catches your eye. Then try to find if there is an owners' association, club, forum etc, and you will find an enthusiastic group with information, and often more than willing to take you out for a bit of a sail if they're anywhere close.
Also check out cruising clubs and associations.

Good luck
I am actually pretty clear on what I 'think' I want. It would be real cool to be able to sail all boats that meet maybe 80% of my spec's (no such thing as 100%) but it won't happen. I might, over many years, get to sail on all the boats to compare things though. I think I just figured out why so many people buy multiple boats over the years

Since miracles sometimes happen, anybody with a Valiant 40/42 in the area of Vancouver Island want an excuse to go for a sail ???
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 16:05   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
How did you arrive at what " you think you want "
Dave
Old 22-09-2011, 16:10   #28

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
@ jd1. Go to the Valiant yahoo group. You may find someone to take u on a sail. If u r ever in the Chesapeake give us a shout! We r leaving for southern lats in Oct.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 16:11   #29
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How did you arrive at what " you think you want "
Dave
Lots and lots of reading plus a bit of common sense (such as a requirement for minimum outside wood)
Old 22-09-2011, 16:16   #30
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
@ jd1. Go to the Valiant yahoo group. You may find someone to take u on a sail. If u r ever in the Chesapeake give us a shout! We r leaving for southern lats in Oct.
I am actually a member there but never asked
I was dreaming of coming down to Annapolis for the boat show but by the time I added up all the costs I decided that this might not be such a good move.

Tags
blue water sailing, sailing, water