Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 23:12   #1

Blue Water Hunter 31?

I recently purchased an 85 Hunter 31. Love the boat and just sailed from Marina Del Rey to Catalina island. My son and I had a great time. Its been a 3.5 year
quest to sail a boat to the island. With that being done, the question is it reasonable to think about outfitting the Hunter 31 to sail to Hawaii a few years from now? The next couple of years would be spent fixing up the boat and gaining skills doing local cruising to the islands and Mexico. Please let me know if this is a crazy or reasonable plan. Thanks!
bpotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 23:40   #2
cruiser

Re: Blue water hunter 31?

Sail a thirty year old light weight coastal cruiser to Hawaii? No, that doesn't sound like a good idea. Stick to the California and Mexican coast and the Channel Islands. If you want to sail to Hawaii, save up and buy a boat more suitable for the job.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 04:11   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Blue Water Hunter 31?

Yes sounds crazy. Yes some would.

Think if the hull, its appendages and rigging are up to open water challenges - high winds, huge waves, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 19:07   #4

Boat: Pearson 35

look back at her Hey, we had a 89, 26.5, well built for the money and faster than most think. I just spoke to a guy who's son delivered a 38? Catalina to Hawaii, super smart went way north and was fine, his family was scared as another one had to be rescued by a freighter and thankfully it was not their son. I also know a group that sailed around the horn to get hit and almost sink in the Chesapeake Bay. A 26 Parker Dawson sailed across the Atlantic. My point is...no. I think the rigging is light and to beef up that boat to be a safe passage maker you would be better served to get the boat in great shape to sell, save the money and step up. Many great Water boats">blue water boats are for sale at very good prices today. Hunter are a great value and there is a very real reason they offer that value. Good luck and I hope you get to live your dream and not a nightmare. Ask a surveyor, crew on a delivery, we all want you safe!
best
Jim
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

What they all said...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 13:16   #6

Hi,
If this is not a good choice to make this type of trip, what would be a better choice in the same size range? How would a Watkins or Pearson measure up?
Thanks
Troll Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 13:47   #7

I would say either of those (in the right boat) would be a better choice. Not to say the Hunter cant do it. Depends on the particular boat, condition, upgrades and original build of course.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 14:22   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There are a few additional issues here:
1) How old is the son?
2) Would the mother let the son go?

3)I personally wouldn't do it, as I do not consider the boat suitable for the job, not that it might not make it okay, just my prejudice.

4) I don't think the OP knows how hard it can be to get back from Hawaii. A trip from MDR to Catalina is basically a daysail in an area of light airs, no overnight travel involved, and an easy weekend deal. Had the OP a couple of trips to SF and return, even though that's mostly daysails northbound, he'd have a much better experience on which to base the concept of the trip to Hawaii. The downwind trip to there is easy, but on the return, there's a lot of northing one has to get back, and also to get around the Pacific High, or have enough fuel to go through it. And of course, there's cyclone season to figure into the equation.

Jim and I did a SF-HI trip in a 30 footer, which had been beefed up. So I know it's possible to be done, at least for two adults. But if the OP's son is pretty young, he'll not be much good for standing night watches. Puts a large load of caretaking on the Dad, in addition to sailing the boat and watch keeping. We're talking two pretty inexperienced sailors here, one of whom may not be a whole lot of help, and who might not have a very good time.

Ann
Old 31-08-2014, 15:43   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Who are Watkinson and Prutker?

I have heard of Perry and Paine. Some say they designed some decent sea going boots.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:57   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Troll Hunter.

John Watkinson designed the traditional “Drascombe”* line of daysailors.
* Lugger, Dabber, & Longboat.

I have no idea who Prutker is.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the hunter probably has a bolted on keel .. watch out.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF !

Glad you finally made your dream of the island trip happen... I suggest as others... Not near the boat for that trip... Soooooooooooo many places to go near this coastline now that you've made the leap...

If you lean towards dismissing the advice... Take a ride Easting through the slot above Anacapa...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

There's a spectrum of boats, from lighter weight coastal cruisers to purpose-built blue water cruisers, and while certainly boats in the former category can be modified to make that kind of trip, the decision of whether to do so or not is a function of your appetite for risk. Everyone is different in that respect and has to make their own decision. Personally, I would not make that trip in a boat of that length and construction, but that's just me based on what I'm comfortable with for passage making.

That said, the decision should be made based on experience and knowledge. Before you can decide whether you're going to take your boat offshore on a long passage you need to have adequate offshore experience, preferably with a good amount of heavy weather thrown in. If you don't you're making the decision in a vacuum. It's like buying a plane without getting your pilot's license first.

Get your offshore experience. Learn about marine weather, heavy weather seamanship, boat construction, repair, and maintenance, and you'll be a in better position to evaluate what your boat can do and if you need a different boat for the trips you want to take.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water