Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2016, 12:59   #1

Blue Water Cruiser Ideas

Help! Husband and I are considering what boat to buy next but cannot come to an agreement (typical, righ? lol). We currently have a 1987 41ft Morgan / Catalina. She is great for cruising the San Juan Islands, but may not be ideal for a blue water cruiser.

He really likes the Amels - water tight bulkheads, center cockpit, access to engine room, aft deck for fishing, water maker, reliable/safe. While the Amels have tons of storage, there are really only two staterooms and no area I could dedicate to (hidden) tools / garage space.

We intend to cruise with 3 people, with room for guests. I need a desk to work from the boat. He needs space for tools (think onboard garage). Also need room for storage. Bunk beds turned into garage/storage would be really ideal. I like the Beneteau Cyclades 50 (4 state rooms, two bunk beds, extra bunk/storage in bow).

Does anyone know of a 40-55ft center cockpit monohull that has water tight bulkheads with at least three staterooms, plus room for garage and storage (bunk beds)? We haven't found one yet, but I am sure there are a ton of boats we don't even know about. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 24-06-2016, 13:17   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: Blue Water Cruiser Ideas

get out there and look at more sailboats

Old 24-06-2016, 15:59   #3

Have you thought about going modern ie Sense 50/55, Hanse 5454 575, Bavaria etc. Or maybe look at Moody from early 2000's Beneteau 57, Halbery Rassey. Good luck.
Old 24-06-2016, 16:06   #4

Thank you AJPT. We have looked at Bavaria, other Beneteaus, and a Halbery Rassey, but we have not looked at the others on your list. We will do that. Thank you very much for the suggestions! Much appreciated.
Old 24-06-2016, 16:16   #5

Your welcome. I know the purists won't agree with me on the modern stuff but there are good boats out there that for most of us will do the job just fine. I forgot to mention Beneteau 58, fine vessel. There are some Spanish guys sailing one to the south oceans atm on utube, they seem to be having a blast in the big seas. Let us know what you find on this thread.
Old 24-06-2016, 16:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadie214 View Post
Thank you AJPT. We have looked at Bavaria, other Beneteaus, and a Halbery Rassey, but we have not looked at the others on your list. We will do that. Thank you very much for the suggestions! Much appreciated.
And what is a Halbery Rassey boat like? Sort of like Halle Berry? I have never seen one. Must be an American thing.

I think you should do as the other poster advised: go out, look at various boats, see how they fit your likes.

Cheers,
b.
Old 24-06-2016, 16:29   #7

Watch out spell check is in force. Halle Berry Boat sounds welcoming, comes as standard with good flotation aids! Apparently.
Old 24-06-2016, 17:36   #8

The boat you are describing that you are looking for sounds like a Ketch? I would be up for something like that myself Are you looking for some one to pitch in?
Old 24-06-2016, 21:17   #9

I doubt you will find many boats with water-tight bulkheads, other than maybe sealed off chain lockers. If you are very worried about collisions then you might want to look at metal boats. I think the need for water-tight bulkheads is greatly overrated. If you research it, you will find most sinking come from far smaller issues than collision. Seacocks, prop shafts exiting the boat, keel bolts giving up, rudder shafts, etc. Since most of what I mentioned would put water in the center of the boat, the typical forward water-tight bulkhead would not keep the boat afloat anyway. My 25 cent advice would be to get the best well found boat you can, and know where every seacock and tapered plug is and make sure all heavy objects (batteries, spare anchors etc) are well secured and you will have a safe and relaxing boat to sail on. Just my opinion. ____Grant.
Old 24-06-2016, 21:35   #10

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Coincidentally I was just answering the "Watertight Bulkhead" feature issue in another thread.

Advice on these two large cruisers: Endeavour 51 and Olympic 47 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

My view is very similar to Grant's, which I just read now.

Since the OP is looking for a large boat for a larger crew for long distance cruising, I suggest the OP look at that linked thread and also at the Olympic 47 mentioned and linked too. I was impressed by it, much more so than many other boats, most which are much newer, but not as well prepared for BlueWater voyaging.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 01:13   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It would depend on which of all of what you think you want is most important to you. We were aboard a smallish (under 50 ft.) Oyster some years back, which had a large aft cabin with an island bed--and also a whole office, desk, paper storage, the lot. I do not know if any of the Oysters came with water tight bulkheads or not.

Imho, it is metal boats that do the water tight bulkheads best; and they do not come cheap.

Ann
Old 25-06-2016, 08:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

I do not know if any of the Oysters came with water tight bulkheads or not.
Yes. They did.

b.
Old 25-06-2016, 10:01   #13

Oyster, Hinckley, almost any Dutch made yacht.
Old 25-06-2016, 10:46   #14

Location: Meandering St Marten to Grenada for hurricane season
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Might want to look at catamarans. Most of the production cats will actually float if holed. Would not be comfortable, but more comfortable than on the floor of the ocean or in a liferaft.

Another thing to consider is that you will probably be at anchor or on a dock for 90% of the time you are cruising. I don't think anyone can argue that a monohull is more comfortable at anchor than a cat.

A cat's motion is different at sea, much quicker and jerkier (is that a word?) than a monohull, although they do stay almost totally flat. Much easier to move around on a level deck. There are many prefer the underway motion of a monohull over that of a cat.

For reference, I am a long time monohull racer and delivery skipper. Bought a cat for the reasons stated above and would never consider a monohull for cruising now. I do really miss the feel of sailing a monohull. A cruising cat is more like driving a truck than a sports car.
Old 25-06-2016, 11:48   #15

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
\ A cruising cat is more like driving a truck than a sports car.
Would you agree that not all cruising Cats drive like "trucks", or have to ?
If one does their homework and gets out on a variety of designs for some sailing feedback, this becomes very apparent.
If you want to drive a truck while sailing/cruising, then that can be achieved...

Bob

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: