Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 19:54   #16

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Re: BLUE SEAS SMALL CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I('d suggest a Nonsuch for what you want to do. One sail, plenty of headroom. If the 36 is too big, look at the 33.
The Nonsuch 33 has 6' 6" headroom; the Nonsuch 36 has 6' 8" and by the way the C & C 38 MK II has 6' 5" while the Aloha 34 has 6' 7"
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:16   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42 - Liverpool
Send a message via Skype™ to Ari-Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I feel for you...Tell you what...I'll trade straight across my HR35 for your 42. It's the least I can do. Kidding aside, why not rig the 42 for single handing? It can easily be done. The reason I say this is situations change. You're probably dashing and handsome like me and while you are cruising, you might find "Her" (with a capitol H). Don't through the baby out in the bathwater as we westerners say.
I like your style, I bet I'm the one to cross the atlantic to come trade with you since my boat is bigger (we can always meet somewhere in the middle) , just joking, but by the way - what's the headroom like at the HR 352 , do you sail her alone?
Ari-Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:40   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-Alexander View Post
but by the way - what's the headroom like at the HR 352 , do you sail her alone?
Hi AA...I bought her a little over a year ago and she needed a lot of work...So I have only taken her less that 100 miles since ownership. But I use to single hand with my Tartan 37 Blackwatch, everywhere. I had self-tailing winches, roller furling and such. I got brave and moved to a larger Ingrid 38 (twice the weight), roller furling but no self tailers. It was a handful.
Please consider crew. They can sail longer passages with you to a destination and get off, leaving you the freedom to gunkhole around. I can imagine the HR 42 has some cash, blood, sweat and tears wrapped up in it. I sold my Tartan Blackwatch after an emotional divorce. Looking at it now, I could have avoided a lot of boat swapping since.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 14:04   #19

Hi Ari!

I own a HR29 lying in south-west of Spain. In a very good condition. Headroom may be a problem for you but it is wonderful for single-handling. Would you be interested? ...
gdediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 14:50   #20

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

I second the notion of single handing your current boat. You have a solid boat that you know. A slightly smaller boat is no easier to dock and when you single hand that is where most of the problems happen. When in open water the larger boat is easier to handle by far because of the more seaworthy platform. When alone on board you have to be four moves ahead. Makes no difference if its a 28 or a 42. The 42 will not jump all over the place when you are working the boat as a smaller craft will.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 15:16   #21

good point, but to be honest - docking a HR 42 is one hell of a mission
Old 20-09-2012, 15:17   #22

I mean docking her single handed -
Old 20-09-2012, 18:41   #23

Well...The other thing to remember is you may be anchoring out, so larger is better.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-09-2012, 23:11   #24

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-Alexander
I mean docking her single handed -
I don't think it's such a challenge to up skill yourself to handle a 42 footer solo, coming in to a marina

If you need to you could add a bow thruster which would make it very easy

There are heaps of guys out there, on much larger boats, handling them solo
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 02:36   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I'm not a big believer in that one can learn to handle a big boat in tight conditions and round marinas.

It turns out I need every bit of Boracay's 15 tonne and 44', but that's because I'm living aboard.

Maneuvering in difficult conditions of wind and current is something I avoid like the plague. I've tried, but when 15 tonne of steel gets away it's not easy to catch. Some can do it. I can't.

Maybe I could learn, but to me it's just not worth the time, money and excruciating pain involved. I feel for the original poster.

So that's why I suggested a late model small (less than 31') Beneteau or Jeanneau. I'd even suggest looking at small late model Hunters.

These are boats that are designed from the bottom up to be single handed.

I just can't understand this fascination with single handing big, heavy old boats. To me it's a bit like banging my head against a brick wall. Been there, done that, feels so good when I stop.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 03:03   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Single - handing can be done, and if the boat is rigged (I mean really rigged) for it, it isn't hard.

Of course, if it is blowing gale force, docking is difficult when with two. but learning single-handed makes it much easier when you are two. check around and see if anyone near you offers a course in Docking is hard weather. After that you should be able to do it - just practice a few times.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 06:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'm not a big believer in that one can learn to handle a big boat in tight conditions and round marinas.

It turns out I need every bit of Boracay's 15 tonne and 44', but that's because I'm living aboard.

Maneuvering in difficult conditions of wind and current is something I avoid like the plague. I've tried, but when 15 tonne of steel gets away it's not easy to catch. Some can do it. I can't.

Maybe I could learn, but to me it's just not worth the time, money and excruciating pain involved. I feel for the original poster.

So that's why I suggested a late model small (less than 31') Beneteau or Jeanneau. I'd even suggest looking at small late model Hunters.

I just can't understand this fascination with single handing big, heavy old boats. To me it's a bit like banging my head against a brick wall. Been there, done that, feels so good when I stop.
Having owned an Ingrid 38 of 25,000lbs and full keel from stern to stem, I can relate. Coming into a tight marina with anything over 10 knots was a challenge...especially in a downwind slip. That being said, I still do not see the reason to down size from a HR 42. The have a more modern under-body and maneuver much better. It is much wiser to side tie at a dock until the wind subsides and dock in the slip with it's calm. Usually in the morning hours. No sense in trying to do it causing damage to the boat and dock.
I think the OP was reacting more from a place based on his families lack of enthusiasm. I feel it's more of an emotional decision/feeling.
Old 22-09-2012, 03:16   #28

of course its an emotional decision, like owning a boat, a romantic decision that sometimes has no logic what so ever. Anyhow, I learnt a lot from that post, already looking into some of the boats mentioned, and meanwhile I'll try slowly but surely to go single hand with my beloved big beast
Old 22-09-2012, 03:51   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

There are times I thank the lord we only have 31 feet. Need to move down the pontoon a bit, just walk it along with one hand on the rails. Bit windy coming in solo, it's probably 10 feet from the wheel to the jumping off point with a warp in my hand attached to the center cleat. Headroom? lots haven't even measured it, but I would check out the lengths and widths of berths if you are 6'2".

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 07:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-Alexander View Post
of course its an emotional decision, like owning a boat, a romantic decision that sometimes has no logic what so ever. Anyhow, I learnt a lot from that post, already looking into some of the boats mentioned, and meanwhile I'll try slowly but surely to go single hand with my beloved big beast
Hey...I've got a great idea...Always berth and anchor beside really big boats. That way your vessel will feel small to you...

Tags
cruiser