Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 13:40   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Blue Hull Concerns

With all due respect to Cap'n Nat, I disagree.

When refitting a previous boat, I decided to paint the hull dark blue, the old gel coat was getting tired, and man the blue made her look beautiful and brand new

Heat: Assuming you are of course just painting the topsides, and not the deck itself, then I never noticed the dark blue to be a significant heat issue. The topsides are most of the time at very narrow angles to the sun so not that effective as a heat sink. The decks on the other hand, I would have to agree with Cap'n Nat...any color other than bright white is a bad idea. Even light grey gets unbearably hot on decks here in the tropics (and definitely effects the below decks temp too).

Maintenance: We used a 2-part Interlux paint (forget exact type, but a LPU I think). I was initially concerned about maintenance issues too until I got a scratch from a nail on piling, but it easily and quickly buffed right out and you could not tell it ever happened. Amazingly tough stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vela Narcosis Corpus Christi Jetties.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	53764  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 14:50   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We have a six-inch navy blue bootstrip on our hull, and in the summer we can feel its location from the inside of the hull. Wonderblond first discovered this while changing the sheets one day, and she immediately shut down the batteries because she thought a circuit was overheating.
Now that's an on the ball Wonderblond. You're lucky to have such a sharp co-captain.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 14:59   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

We once bought a cold-molded wooden boat that was painted a nice shade of dark green, but we changed that to mostly white with a wide green stripe along the sheer line after spending a winter south in Florida and the Bahamas--big difference in temperature between the dark hull and the white hull. For the tropics white is the only color worth considering, IMHO.
Old 30-01-2013, 15:02   #34

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post

Consider this...the coolest Bimini fabric color is white on the outside with a dark color inside. The white color reflects most rays with the dark color inside blocking UV from penetrating through.

Ever sit under a dark blue Bimini on a hot sunny day and feel the heat being radiated downward?
Of course, if the wind is blowing the radiated heat will be blown away...thus dark fabric works well in tradewind locations. A white color fabric on the outside would make it more efficient.

Practical Sailor confirms this theory during a test of bimini/dodger fabric types.

Ronbo

I have a hard top on the front of the cockpit painted white and a blue soft Bimini on the back of it. The aft is noticeably hotter than the front on sunny days.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:11   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Let's put it this way, would you rather wear dark blue pants while walking around Tahiti or light-colored pants?
Old 30-01-2013, 15:34   #36

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

My boat is balsa core hull and decks......I bet the construction makes a difference too. My hull shouldn't let much heat trough unlike a solid glass hull.
I would love to paint my hull blue but we are in Queensland Australia and travel north a bit so heat is a real problem. Does anybody have experience with insulated hulls like Balsa of foam and dark paint?
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:20   #37

Boat: oyster yacht 66

Thank you all very much for your responses. Thanks to you my wife now agrees that a white hulled vessel would be best. We are rarin' to go and look forward to meeting some of you "on the water".
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:05   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Had a friend aboard for a cruise recently who is a coatings chemist for Sherwin Williams. This subject came up, and turns out there are paints suited for this application which absorb dramatically less heat.

These paints were originally developed for military use (think of a tank with same thermal signature as vegetation...didn't see that..oops...bang) and are now mostly being developed for the roofing industry. Also some which are suitable for marine applications.

He sent me a whole presentation on the subject. PM me if you are interested and I will email to you.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:45   #39

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well our Colvin was Red hull white decks and trim, but when we bilt her we insulated from the top to the waterline ! Never had AC, till we came to the gulf! never thought of it being warm in the So.Pacific ! good venting and scoops always cooled it down enough for us !! But down in the gulf area it might make a difference
Old 18-06-2013, 03:59   #40

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
... turns out there are paints suited for this application which absorb dramatically less heat. ...
Are these paints with ceramic micro-spheres? I've often wondered whether they really work or are just marketing bs.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 04:55   #41

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I thought about blue or black as well and then was turned off by the idea that they are hotter.

I decided on metallic grey - stands out from the crowd but temps remain reasonable. Perhaps an idea for the wife?

Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	62891  
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 05:25   #42

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Let's put it this way, would you rather wear dark blue pants while walking around Tahiti or light-colored pants?
When appearance is important such as dressing for dinner, dark colors are always preferable...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 07:27   #43

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
When appearance is important such as dressing for dinner, dark colors are always preferable...
Mosquitoes think dark colors are more attractive too.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 07:52   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Hull Concerns

Sit next to a native Caribe one night and see if the Mossie's agree

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 08:18   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The mozzies always prefer fresh meat, but we did a scientific study one day on Niuatoputapu. I went for a hike with 2 locals, and one was in mourning and wearing a black tshirt, the other wore white. We stopped moving and in about a minute the mozzie count on the black shirt was over 10, the local white shirt none, and my white shirt had 3.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull