Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 09:56   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Black Hulls?

Sorry if this is already a thread, I searched for it but couldn't find it

I really want a boat with a black or dark (navy) blue hull. I think it looks amazing but I hear in the tropics it makes the heat unbearable, is that really the case? I want to go everywhere in the world so the extra heat will be welcome in the northern latitudes. Most likely I will be on a tiny boat like an Albin Vega or Alberg 30 and since I'm a cheap bastard I'd likely not put air conditioning on it. Am I going to bake?

This may seem trivial but I really don't like white
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:10   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Black Hulls?

Yep, they are really hot inside in the tropics, and the color don't last much compared with a white unless you love polish and wax... dents and scratches are also more noticeable... but but a white never ever can be so beautiful as a blue or dark color..
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:10   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are many darker colored hulls here.
one friend repainted his dark blue to beige, but the rest are happy with theirs.
most interior heat comes from above--shades help that, and hull--water temp cares not the color, whether dark or light--it stays the same temp.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Black Hulls?

Stay out of marina's and moor/anchor in places where you get the breeze.. open hatches and scoops for a good flow of air through the boat and you'll be fine.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My last boat, a little center console we dove off of had dark blue hull sides, Gelcoat.
Beautiful, but a lot like teak, meaning it is a lot of work to keep it looking good.
And if you don't, then it gets Ugly. A Clorox bottle will lose its shine likely almost as fast as a dark hull, but you don't notice it nearly as much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Yep, they are really hot inside in the tropics, and the color don't last much compared with a white unless you love polish and wax... dents and scratches are also more noticeable... but but a white never ever can be so beautiful as a blue or dark color..
Ah yeah I was afraid of that, i don't want to waste time waxing a boat, I just want to sail...maybe i should just suck it up and buy a white boat

Thanks for your advice
Old 24-10-2016, 10:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are many darker colored hulls here.
one friend repainted his dark blue to beige, but the rest are happy with theirs.
most interior heat comes from above--shades help that, and hull--water temp cares not the color, whether dark or light--it stays the same temp.
Hmm, okay. thanks for your help

I guess I'll probably just not consider colour when I'm actually ready to buy. Seems like advantages and drawbacks either way.

Makes me rethink my desire to cover the companionway hatch and forward hatch with flexible solar panels tho, haha.
Old 24-10-2016, 10:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My last boat, a little center console we dove off of had dark blue hull sides, Gelcoat.
Beautiful, but a lot like teak, meaning it is a lot of work to keep it looking good.
And if you don't, then it gets Ugly. A Clorox bottle will lose its shine likely almost as fast as a dark hull, but you don't notice it nearly as much
Clorox bottle hahaha! Nice! Yeah most of the boats I've seen that don't sail regularly looked like crap. Ugh, I may have to get over being so lazy
Old 24-10-2016, 10:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stay out of marina's and moor/anchor in places where you get the breeze.. open hatches and scoops for a good flow of air through the boat and you'll be fine.
Good advice! In my limited experience I am already really unimpressed with marinas. Big bucks to lay awake all night being blasted in the face by artificial light and listening to halyards clanging.
Thanks
Old 24-10-2016, 10:47   #10

Boat: Simonis 50

We have just completed the re-spraying project of our yacht which was previously all white - now with black sides and white decks. We are quite happy with the result and thus far people tell us that they have not noticed any additional internal heat. You can read about it in the blog section of our website.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:48   #11

I like the look of dark blue or dark green hulls. But yes they can be hot. Also, the dark color shows scuffing etc a lot. White can get pretty bad but with the sun glare doesn't show that much until right up close.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:56   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I bought a black boat. It was beautiful. Cruised the Caribbean for a few years and painted it white. Much, much better.

Just to illustrate the difference. When I painted it white I left a stripe about 8-10" on the side because I thought it looked nice. On a sunny day inside the boat you could hold your hand up towards the side of the boat and tell exactly where that black stripe was. Radiated hot like an electric space heater.

Since no one else has yet said it, Nathaniel Herreshoff is reputed to have said "There are only two colors to paint a boat, white or black, and only a fool would paint a boat black."
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 11:07   #13

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

"There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black." - Nathanael G. Herreshoff

Steve (the fool)

edit: Skip, ya beat me to it!
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 11:08   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

It's always ironic watching people who complain about dark colored hulls get into their black, brown, green, red, etc... cars to drive away a the end of their day sail.

And they don't seem to get the contradiction...

Colored hulls look prettier and a properly painted one requires far less maintenance than gel coat.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 11:11   #15

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's always ironic watching people who complain about dark colored hulls get into their black, brown, green, red, etc... cars to drive away a the end of their day sail.

And they don't seem to get the contradiction...

Colored hulls look prettier and a properly painted one requires far less maintenance than gel coat.
Ha! My hull is black and my car is white!

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull