Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Bimini Musings

As I've continued to repair my Starwind 27, I've come across some poor engineering -- like opening portals installed at such an angle that they fill with water when it rains -- however, nothing has presented as much challenge as the bimini.

I have wheel steering in the cockpit. The boom hangs at about 5', right at head-smacking level over the cockpit but ends right before the wheel, so the helmsman can safely stand though everyone else must be wary.

The backstay and backstay adjuster come down right above the helmsman's head, so any bimini would have to have holes for them.

Then the biggest issue is the traveler, which is connected along the aft edge of a bench seat that runs across the entrance to the companionway.

With all that said, I figure these are my options:

a) a very short and small bimini that only covers that area from the traveler to the wheel - this would allow the helmsman to stand but might obstruct his view somewhat.

b) a tall but small bimini that only covers the helmsman and the back end of the boat - this is what another Starwind did but he says it provides very little shade. Putting an arch with solar panels on it would probably be just as good and provide some power.

c) Raise the boom a foot and move the traveler to the top of the companionway a la a Catalina 27/30. I could put a taller, larger bimini on, but I'd lose some sail area.

I thought about raising the boom AND putting a longer boom on it, so I could relocate the traveler to the rear of the boat, but that isn't feasible because the longer boom would hit the backstays.

Any thoughts? Any ingenious solutions?

Right now everyone just gets roasted in the sun. I've thought about just supplying parasols to everyone, but it's so hard to find a good parasol with real lace embroidery these days.

Am I going to see handling problems if I move the traveler?
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:53   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Post some pictures.

Then ask the question...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:00   #3

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Photos

The boom wasn't attached in this photo as the previous owners had apparently set the mast up for tetherball, but it shows where the traveler is invonveniently located.

You can see the mainsheet and backstay locations in this one.

And my apologies for the chubby shirtless photo, but you can see the height of the boom in this one.

Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:02   #4

I had the same issue with the boom height on our Cape Dory 25D. No need to raise the entire boom, just raise the end. Re-cut the foot of the main. Much mcuh easier than moving the gooseneck and you will never miss the tad of sail area removed. Before I had the main's foot re-cut I used the first aft reef point to raise the boom enough to get the bimini under it.

good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21   #5

You can move the mainsheet from the bridgedeck to the cabin top. Some boats do this but it imposes heavier loads on the boom and makes it more dificult to trim.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini