Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 22:03   #91

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I've never been able to wrap my head around what a cruising couple does with more than about 40' (or say 37' on newer 'cheese-wedge' models).

It seems that on the occasion where one might want to entertain family or friends, it would be more economical to charter a big boat for a week or so. Sort of like owning the small car to commute to the office, while renting the SUV for the family road trip.

Of course, we're poor and friendless.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 23:33   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome return for tiny sail boat

The smallest boat ever to cross the Atlantic has once again returned to Cornwall, 13 years to the day after she sailed into the record books.

The 5ft 4in Father's Day was transported to Falmouth from Florida, accompanied by her record-breaking captain, Hugo Vihlen.
He has agreed to donate the micro-yacht to the National Maritime Museum.
The tiny vessel will now become one of the centre pieces of an exhibition due to open early in 2007.
'Full force'
Vihlen sailed into Falmouth harbour aboard Father's Day on 26 September 1993, after successfully crossing the Atlantic from Newfoundland in Canada.
Vihlen had rations to last 85 days and was forced to stretch his supplies, of 65 ready meals, two gallons (9.09 litres) of M&Ms, a gallon of dry fruit, 100 cans of Hawaiian Punch and 34 gallons (154.6 litres) of water, to last the four-month journey.
The boat, the size of a coffee table, is made from strong lightweight building materials, fibreglass and Airex.
She was fitted with GPS, a water purifying system, VHF radio and SSB/Ham radio.
Vihlen said: "I was 61 years old, retired, and I went full force into building this boat Father's Day.
"On Father's Day you should be able to do what you want to do, that's your thing. "This was my thing and aboard Father's Day I was able to do it."
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 05:05   #93
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
This post

So small I am going that I intend SAILING around the world with no boat at all.

Just me, with face mask and snorkel, no clothes to complicate life, not even just the single pair of shorts and tee shirt which the minimalists claim is all one needs. Will be a lead weight strung under my tummy as ballast and mainmast strapped to my back - as I will need it I will have my passport clenched between my cheeks as a mizzen sail cos I am told that ketches are best at everything and I will be able to sail under that alone when things get a bit blowy.
Bon Voyage MidlandOne…I think your on to something there especially with that canting daggerboard.... but are you sure you can control it when the mermaids come to call?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 05:21   #94
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
This post

I Hope .

I'm finding that I am getting caught up in the minimalist approach to sailing. As some are saying, no one needs TV, electricity, hot water, showers, electronic nav, room for the family, engine, etc so I'm going to go small and do a circumnavigation. Am now sold on the idea that the ONLY purpose of sailing is to get away from the complications of land life - many thanks to those who have helped me see that so clearly now, fool that I was before.

So small I am going that I intend SAILING around the world with no boat at all.

Just me, with face mask and snorkel, no clothes to complicate life, not even just the single pair of shorts and tee shirt which the minimalists claim is all one needs. Will be a lead weight strung under my tummy as ballast and mainmast strapped to my back - as I will need it I will have my passport clenched between my cheeks as a mizzen sail cos I am told that ketches are best at everything and I will be able to sail under that alone when things get a bit blowy.

Nav will be without charts (who needs those complicated paper things that take up so much room in any boat) so nav will be just like the turtles - following the lines of latitude and longitude on the sea bottom and doing a flip flop when I cross the equator. No problems with chart errors, different datum systems at all and no corrections to be worried about. No problems of entering the boat at ports of entry, just will be me with passport and big smile for the customs folks.

Have bin practicing straining plankton between my teeth for food but still trying to solve the drinking water problem - maybe someone can help with that?

Toss the face mask and snorkel (not needed for the minimalist approach) and ask your salty sea mates (the turtles) for the drinking water solution (pun intended)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 12:26   #95

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Living aboard and extended cruising aside, it's all about the fun of sailing, right? I suppose some truck drivers really enjoy their work, but I prefer something a little smaller.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 10:22   #96
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It is just as much about the destination as it is the sailing for me.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 10:40   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
As for me...I like working on the boat....the bigger the boat....the more to do.
Old 28-11-2008, 10:44   #98

Not knowing your age it is hard to say. It's hard to believe any couple needs more than 40+ feet. In a good blow, even with large winches a large boat becomes very difficult for me to keep up with. I'm amazed at the price of simple things like blocks, line etc now. It seems like a good 42+ ft boat has a nice galley, two staterooms, two heads and so does a 52 footer, although the 52 might get another berth.... Moorage, bottom paint work, autopilot etc are a lot more $ aren't they?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 10:59   #99

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Cheechako - I am one of those people contemplating going from 43 to 50ish boat and I singlehand. Yes, the costs are a lot higher but remember that the inside space doesn't go up linearly with length, the 50 footer with the same basic hull design has almost double as much space as the 43 boat (think volume, a 3x3x3 square is over 3x larger than a 2x2x2 square). I now have a whole room dedicated as work room and can store more tools and spares to allow me to be more independant - in comfort.
Costs aside, the bigger boat stores more "junk" and provisions, is less likely to broach and has a more sea-kindly motion as well as being faster. If the sails are balanced on a big boat then the steering forces need be no higher than those of a smaller boat.

The costs really do go up with a larger boat, everything gets pricey to buy, maintain and replace. Maintenance work goes up, albeit at a slower rate than the costs.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 11:31   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Our experience is limited to living aboard and cruising sailboats from 30' to 41'. We moved aboard the 30' boat in our early 20's in 1972 from a college apartment when all we owned could fit in our car,- it was perfect! With two children, we moved to a 33' boat of a much larger design and until our daughter and son were 9 and 7 years old, -it was perfect! When our children were older and until they left for college, we lived aboard a 41' boat and they had their private cabins, -all was perfect! Now, in our 60's we've keep the 41' ketch and we keep an empty aft cabin for visits from friends, children and now a grandchild, all is perfect! We would do well with a somewhat larger or smaller boat. I think the accomodations, rig, draft, and outfittings can be as important as the boat lenth. When it comes to safety, I would suggest that people are giving to much emphasis to size. A far greater factor are the choices made by the captain and crew. What inlets to avoid in what weather choice; do you wait for better weather; do you choose a daylight landfall? If the vessel is sound; then, prudent navigation far exceeds the importance of vessel size! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 12:05   #101

Zanshin, Yes there are some advantages to big. My Cat had a complete workshop. On the other hand my experience with more storage room is you dont need it all. I remember selling boats and finding things I never used or remembered storing! Also as the cube space goes up as you note, you get more walking space between the settees etc, but the settee tends to be the same depth. Nice if you have a bunch aboard, but wide open space not that preferable in rough weather. There are pros and cons though. Heavy weather management seems so much easier in a smaller boat to me, but I never had electric winches.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 12:12   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
... On the other hand my experience with more storage room is you don’t need it all ...
Parkinson’s Law: "Work expands to fill the time available."

Gord’s Corollary: “Stuff accumulates to fill the space available, plus some."
I ve never seen a space I couldn’t (over) fill.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 12:45   #103

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
When I use to mountain climb and venture to places i no longer can..I used a tent like this..it was right for the job.

When I got married and started a family the mountains gave way to car camping and we needed more room then the biviy would supply so we got one of these.

As we aged and got stiffer and less agile with less time available to deal with 3 teenagers we got one of these..They can start the process over for themselves if adventure calls and if they someday choose to try a bivouac.

I may or may not be able to mentally or physically some day go back to car camping if I need to... but I will never be able to voluntarily put up with the conditions of the bivouac again...we age we change our lifestyles are generally either enjoyable to us or avoided..no one purposely hinders his or hers well being and peace of mind..

Go with what you have, and have what you want to go with..

"That's all I have to say about that".. Forest Gump

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 15:13   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining
. .. Go with what you have, and have what you want to go with..
"That's all I have to say about that".. Forest Gump
And/or r as Stephen Stills wrote:
“... if you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with, love the one your with, et al ...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 22:32   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dido that........