Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2009, 07:03   #136

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post

... Yep, the mid to low thirty foot range used to be the sweet-spot for cruising boats a quarter of a century ago or so (displacing 10,000 – 15,000 generally), but that seems to have crept up at least ten feet in the intervening years – perhaps the Dashew philosophy, I don’t know…
Perhaps. Here, in EU, the boats are bigger also because people buy them on mortgage rather than for their money. I meet many owners, Bavaria thru Oyster, who just sail ionto Las Palmas and them immediately fly out to work on and keep on paying back the debt. It is very easy here to say a sailing boat from a tax evasion boat - the former are still in the 32-40 range.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 07:22   #137

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
No Debt

I have a 33 foot sloop. She sails well is reasonably strong. I know every inch of the boat. I do all the maintinece. And I can afford her without being shackled to a job. She is paid for free and clear.
Would I like a bigger baot? Definately! Would I make a committment to annother 5-10 years of clock punching to get one? Definately not!

Freedom is priceless!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 08:35   #138

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Last boat was a 27 foot Nor'sea. Current and probably last is a Endeavour 40 center cockpit. Which is more comfortable? Why the 40 foot of course. Bigger, better head room, more room for stores, larger bunks, 3 seperate cabins. Larger more comfortable cabin, and most IMPORTANT, a boom that is above the head when standing or sitting in the cockpit ! (wife once got almost knocked out by a accidental jibe on the norsea.)
And the best part was the price.. the same. Ok, the 40 is more to maintain, more to dock, more to fuel, more to deal with, but overall, a better boat for US.
Now for you... maybe a smaller boat. And that is the crux of the matter. Its to each his own. So seriously other than it being a philosophical discussion, its a moot point. Its like the difference between chocolate and vanilla ice cream, or rocna vs a manson supreme, or legs vs breasts (on chicken or turkey.. )
So fair winds and following seas to each one of us, large or small, big or little. Personally, I'll take in between.
Old 16-11-2009, 13:09   #139

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
"Its like the difference between chocolate and vanilla ice cream, or rocna vs a manson supreme, or legs vs breasts .... "

now THATS a train of thought I would never have predicted

oh, and my 33 is truly the perfect cruiser for two people. nothing too big for my wife to handle and relatively cheap to maintain.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 17:52   #140

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Current and probably last is a Endeavour 40 center cockpit.
My dock neighbor had one of those, it's one nice boat...Congrats!

To the point, my 36 ft coastal cruiser has all the comforts of home. Big "pit sofa", 26" TV, DVD, X-Box,full kitchen, microwave, inverter, comfy berths, etc. and it is easy to singlehand. Now, since I live in the birthplace of MORE, I have considered a 42' from time to time and the Liberty 458 makes me absolutely drool. But I work for myself and often find myself wanting to sail on a weekday while friends and crew are in their cubicles. Being able to confidently handle my boat alone is important. Convince me that I can safely handle a 45 footer by myself (and have fun doing it) and I'm in.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 18:20   #141

I always hear that when trying to dock or in tight harbours and marinas, the smaller the better.. But, when they are at sea, it never seems to be big enough..

I've been on huge yachts and really small cozy ones. Waves have never bothered me, I'm always worried about the skipper, if they can handle the situation. I've seen owners with very large and huge yachts that can't handle a damn thing and think they are just driving a car.. I've been with owners that have small cheap yachts that have the skill and confidence to navigate an inner tube out of a hurricane..

Just purchase what you like and can afford and can handle in the worst case scenario. I'm still on the hunt for my yacht and the sooner the better for me..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote