Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 21:32   #31
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Pacific
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 1,451
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

I've been hit three (actually more) times in a year while tied to the dock. One of the pleasures of having an end tie in a marina where everyone thinks they know how to short tack out the fairway. Usually minor stuff, but we've had to replace chainplates, stanchions, and repair a hole over the years. Oh yeah, moved marinas. This one isn't as nice, but less repair work.
__________________

__________________
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 22:09   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TN. again
Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"
Posts: 43
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have been whacked into by three sailboats this year; none of them single handed or large.

You have been hit three times in one year? That has to be some kind of record! I have not "whacked" into others either, but don't consider it a boasting point. Also have not been hit, ever. Maybe you should work on your avoidance tactics.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm with Dockhead ... The size dose not matter as much as knowing your boat and how to handle her! I've run my 50 footer single handed and with a partner sometimes. Good weather or BAD you find how she handles and use her to your advantage. Yes it is fun to come in and rope a pylon and run to catch the second one, just takes practice.
Heck I have been whacked sitting at anchor by a couple on a 38 coming by to look at the boat (ran down my anchor line coming in to close in a stiff blow)! But it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Randy
__________________

__________________
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 22:46   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,518
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Remember an old dud, single handing a 51 foot Hudson on the ICW. His anchor got stuck in the muck and he was unable to free it by himself. Another time down in Miami, another sad old guy(probably about 50 years old) was trying to sail a 50+ foot Swan, but the boat got out of his control, rounded up and t boned a sightseeing boat. somehow seeing guys trying to single hand big boats is a sad sight indeed. Kind of like someone living by themselves in a huge mansion. Unfulfilled dreams. Advice is: sailing big boats requires crews. And bigger is not necessarily more comfortable nor safer.
100%. B.S.

This "sad old dud (59 years old)" single hands his 54 foot boat (60 ft with the dinghy and davits) all the time without difficulty. Don't project your own limitations onto other people.

BTW: What's a "dud?"
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:29   #34
Registered User
 
Tientos's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Malaysia
Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'
Posts: 112
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

OLD at 50????? Hubby and I in 60s sail a LOA 18m; yacht designed to be handled by me (as the weakest link) and blue water insured for either skipper single handed. Never had a problem. I can't get over the OLD at 50. Oh dear...
__________________
May all your bars be wooden and well-stocked!
http://yachttientos.blogspot.com.au/
Tientos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:50   #35
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,942
Images: 1
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Geez, I'm 63 and singlehand our 40 footer. My wife is 57 and single hands it.

"Dud"??? - Hmmm I guess this is a relative term - one man's viewpoint of a dud is radically different than anothers.

But to the OP question. The areas noted shouldn't give any great inconveniences - As Dockhead noted, there will always be some marina/achipelago that you can't get into no matter how short a keel you have, just make sure you have a good dinghy

Our keel is 2.1 meters and there certainly are some marina we used to visit when we had our old boat (1.85 meters) that we'd like to go back to but can't. That's life - lot's of other marinas out there
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 00:02   #36
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,764
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have been whacked into by three sailboats this year; none of them single handed or large.

You have been hit three times in one year? That has to be some kind of record! I have not "whacked" into others either, but don't consider it a boasting point. Also have not been hit, ever. Maybe you should work on your avoidance tactics.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Avoidance while tied up to a dock? I'd love to learn that technique, if someone can teach me!

Once in Den Helder, Netherlands - small racing boat with large crew couldn't cope in strong wind, ran into side of me. No damage (I had fenders out on both sides) other than to my dingy's outboard.

Once in Dover - small boat couldn't cope with with strong current - ditto. Scratch and broken outboard fin.

Once in Cowes - family in a Swan 45 screwed up docking approach in strong tide - whack. No damage.

I was tied to docks in all cases. Up here with all the wind and strong current, docking mayhem is pretty common.



Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-être pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 00:05   #37
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 961
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Last yacht 39', now a 60' and a 66' pending. Easy to manage really - just think ahead and be prepared to cope with the unusual. I am 67.

Close quarters is mostly knowing your boat.

Some strategic thinking required sometimes- had sail wrap around the prop, torn sails, anchor windlass fail with the 180lb Bruce down, forestay fail and threaten to drop the rig, engine fail etc etc -
Just normal life😃

Probably the most dangerous thing on any boat is rushing. Falling down while moving about in rough weather would be my concern.

Nice to have some company occasionally but extra responsibility for crew is an issue. Lots of inexperienced, foolish, unstable, flawed people out there. Know thyself.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
__________________
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 00:18   #38
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Remember an old dud, single handing a 51 foot Hudson on the ICW. His anchor got stuck in the muck and he was unable to free it by himself. Another time down in Miami, another sad old guy(probably about 50 years old) was trying to sail a 50+ foot Swan, but the boat got out of his control, rounded up and t boned a sightseeing boat. somehow seeing guys trying to single hand big boats is a sad sight indeed. Kind of like someone living by themselves in a huge mansion. Unfulfilled dreams. Advice is: sailing big boats requires crews. And bigger is not necessarily more comfortable nor safer.
I had a 40 something footer round up and head straight for me, it was fully crewed.

Living by yourself in a huge mansion could also be considered a dream fulfilled. If I was single and rich I'd happily do that. Hmmm a huge mansion on the seafront with a dock out the front for my 60 foot yacht that is setup for solo sounds like a perfect dream to me.


To the OP, personally I don't think draft and air draft should ever be a deciding factor unless your home waters limit you. Anchor further out and carry a rib with a big motor
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:59   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Last yacht 39', now a 60' and a 66' pending. Easy to manage really - just think ahead and be prepared to cope with the unusual. I am 67.

Close quarters is mostly knowing your boat.

Some strategic thinking required sometimes- had sail wrap around the prop, torn sails, anchor windlass fail with the 180lb Bruce down, forestay fail and threaten to drop the rig, engine fail etc etc -
Just normal life😃

Probably the most dangerous thing on any boat is rushing. Falling down while moving about in rough weather would be my concern.

Nice to have some company occasionally but extra responsibility for crew is an issue. Lots of inexperienced, foolish, unstable, flawed people out there. Know thyself.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
From our limited experience of sailing for 60 years, if your going long distance cruising you will meet storms at sea and a big boat is almost impossible to manage solo; and the large spaces down below become a real danger.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 05:16   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 413
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

We have a big boat, 6.5' draft.
Sometimes I wish we had roller skates on the bottom of the keel.
__________________
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 05:26   #41
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 961
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
From our limited experience of sailing for 60 years, if your going long distance cruising you will meet storms at sea and a big boat is almost impossible to manage solo; and the large spaces down below become a real danger.

100% agree about big spaces and have resorted to rope lines on few occasions before fitted out. I suppose deck work in heavy weather is strategy, care and taking it easy. Heavier work maybe but more stable platform


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
__________________
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 06:09   #42
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,334
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Everyone enjoys a size envy thread
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 06:34   #43
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I have a friend considering cruising on a Beneteau 57. West Coast of North America, South Pacific, Carribean, Mediterranean.

How much of a liability will 25 meter mast height and 2.6 meter draft be in these places?
West coast very limited issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I wish.
Right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I don't think raindog and ocean girl want an even taller mast than they have now.
I promise I did not giggle.... (out loud)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Considering the enormity of the question, I have decided not to answer. Not until the OP's friends invite me to go sailing with them, or at least buy me a beer.
I see a crew of similar sentiments forming Ryon...
***tosses duffel***
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Big Is Too Big to Singlehand ? kcmarcet General Sailing Forum 29 01-06-2014 18:24
Steve Jobs New Boat, so Big They Aren't Sure How Big it Actually Is cat man do Powered Boats 87 04-11-2012 23:20
Boat Size - How big is too big? Thames 4 Blood Monohull Sailboats 147 25-10-2012 15:15
How big is too big? Capnlindy General Sailing Forum 98 04-06-2007 08:14
my big, big, plan faithful Meets & Greets 1 17-10-2004 15:28



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.