Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 22:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
between the sheets

I saw a boat the other day with 3/16 or maybe 1/4 line used as life lines instead of SS. I'd bet there are alot of reasons why that is stupid, right?

Also, why is having your sink on the CL preferred? If the boat is heeled 20 deg, then water in the sink would be 20 deg regardless it seems.
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 22:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Aqua,
The lifeline thing is nuts, for the same cross sectional area, stainless is much stronger.

The closer you get to the center of mass of the boat, the less movement. A boat can move equally in any directions, but they also tend to pivot around their center of mass...like all things in free space. Think of sitting in the middle of a teeter-totter versus sitting at the ends. So the closer the sink is to the center of mass, the less sloshing.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:11   #3

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
As for the life line thing... You might have seen the "Ankarolona"? A flat beltlike (there's probably a really good english term for it) anchor line. There is also one called "safelolina", a safety line complete with buckles and all. It's tested and approved. The big advantage of having a flat safety line running along the deck is that it doesn't roll away from under you feet if you step on it.

Safeolina - Webbing Jackstay - Mailspeed Marine

/Hampus, Sweden
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:41   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Actually, using 1/4" Spectra (TM) line for your lifelines is quite acceptable. Serious racers like it because it saves a little weight.

Here's what rigger and author Brian Toss has to say about it in response to a question on another forum:

"1/4" is standard, and will last many years, and the splices will usually fit through the stanchions, so you can splice both ends in the shop. But we often use 5/16" on boats going South, so UV simply won't be an issue. The larger line is also nicer to lean or land on.

As Bob noted, Johnson makes great hardware for Spectra lifelines. You can splice directly to this, though we usually ring-hitch on, in case you need to replace the hardware or some such. We put thimbles (usually round sail thimbles) at the lashing ends, for smoother take-up, and lash to a bail or shackle on the stanchion, or occasionally the stanchion itself. We use either 1/8" Spectra or nylon lashing twine.

There is a lot of constructional stretch in Spectra, about a foot in 50', so be generous in spacing. But also bear in mind that the splices will take up some length, 2 or 3 inches each, so be sure to compensate for this, especially in the short runs.

For the gate, we usually make a grommet, as the run is so short that eyesplices will back into each other.

Fair leads,
Brion Toss"
Old 16-05-2008, 04:55   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Having the sink on CL also means it is less likely to be below water line when heeled over. Have heard stories of this happening. Of course if you are heeled this hard, you should probably shorten sail but it happens.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 04:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
Spectra lifelines aren't allowed if you race under the ISAF Special Regulations. Only uncovered stainless steel wire is permitted. It's a chafe thing.

Galley sinks are best on the centerline as they'll drain on either tack. On my boat the sink has to have a pump arrangement as otherwise it would siphon back whilst hard on port tack.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 06:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I replaced my lifelines a couple years ago with 3/8 - 3 strand line, its been working fine and is cheep to replace...
I got the idea from looking at the pardey's boat. Theres something to say about the way Lin & Larry equept their boat. It might not be state of the art, and sometimes not the prettiest, but it works.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 07:53   #8
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Wow, I learn something every day on this forum!

All this time I thought that was scads of poly-pro on monohulls for extra floatation.

Tags
sheets