Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 02:16   #1681

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Our watertight door between the salon/galley and owners' cabin made an appearance today for the first time since last year. As with the exposed rim on the pilothouse windows, I love the "industrial" look in contrast to the beautiful timber work. This look will be further softened by leather upholstery, cushions and luxury bedlinen.

We have five seperate watertight compartments. Apparently any two can be flooded and the boat will still float. The watertight door will also be able to be secured from the inside in case of intruders:
If I along with my 5 nasty mates come on board and you both locked yourself behind this door, then we would start our world tour. I take it that this door is not sound proof so if we have any technical questions in the first few weeks....
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 02:28   #1682

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
If I along with my 5 nasty mates come on board and you both locked yourself behind this door, then we would start our world tour. I take it that this door is not sound proof so if we have any technical questions in the first few weeks....
You would need to get the anchor up first .

On the issue of security, the scary thing is that there are reports in some parts of the world that cruisers have been attacked while a simple burglary was in progress.

Providing us a possible safe retreat if thieves boarded was sensible. The VHF or mobile phone in the owners' cabin could be used to call for help. Theft of boat may occur, but is a less likely scenario, particularly for a distinctive boat.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 22:37   #1683

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Lifelines.

Dyneema lifelines were specified. These have the advantantage of reducing the amount of dissimilar metals, which is particuarly important for an aluminium boat.

Dyneema is relatively new in this application and it does require a slightly different design of stanchion. Dyneema is stronger than stainless wiring of the same diameter so some have replaced their stainless lifelines with the same sized Dyneema. However, Dyneema is more effected by UV and chafe so some care is needed.

UV radiation does not penetrate deeply into Dyneema so increasing the diameter has more effect on preserving long term strength than might be expected. Oversizing the line also provides much greater strength so even a significant loss leaves the lifelines with plently of reserve. Oversizing also allows for some chafe before replacement, but here the smoothness of the stanchion's ferrule is important. Oversizing also improves handling.

Unfortunately, most stanchions are designed for stainless wire and will not always except the thicker diameter that should be used if the change to Dyneema is made. It is also important to check the smoothness of the ferrules although sometimes this can be fixed with a polishing wheel.

8mm Dyneema was specified here, which allows for plently of reserve. Our stanchions are beautifully smooth, but the rigger added some protective covering on the top line to further reduce the problem of chafe. Little details like this show the company cares about quality.

I think for most cruising boats uncoated stainless wire is probably the sensible choice, but for a weight sensitive boat like a cat or an aluminium boat where it helpful to reduce the amount of stainless then Dyneema while more expensive is the better choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2324.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	160126  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 23:13   #1684

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Lifelines.

Dyneema lifelines were specified. These have the advantantage of reducing the amount of dissimilar metals, which is particuarly important for an aluminium boat.

Dyneema is relatively new in this application and it does require a slightly different design of stanchion. Dyneema is stronger than stainless wiring of the same diameter so some have replaced their stainless lifelines with the same sized Dyneema. However, Dyneema is more effected by UV and chafe so some care is needed.

UV radiation does not penetrate deeply into Dyneema so increasing the diameter has more effect on preserving long term strength than might be expected. Oversizing the line also provides much greater strength so even a significant loss leaves the lifelines with plently of reserve. Oversizing also allows for some chafe before replacement, but here the smoothness of the stanchion's ferrule is important. Oversizing also improves handling.

Unfortunately, most stanchions are designed for stainless wire and will not always except the thicker diameter that should be used if the change to Dyneema is made. It is also important to check the smoothness of the ferrules although sometimes this can be fixed with a polishing wheel.

8mm Dyneema was specified here, which allows for plently of reserve. Our stanchions are beautifully smooth, but the rigger added some protective covering on the top line to further reduce the problem of chafe. Little details like this show the company cares about quality.

I think for most cruising boats uncoated stainless wire is probably the sensible choice, but for a weight sensitive boat like a cat or an aluminium boat where it helpful to reduce the amount of stainless then Dyneema while more expensive is the better choice.
Those stanchions don't even look AL, as polished as they are they appear almost stainless. I'm being nitpicky but I think the ends of those covers could be whipped down. SWL probably has some whipping twine leftover from shackle projects.

I don't think dyneema is more expensive than wire anymore. Just peruse over to Defender and look.

1/4" covered 7x7 wire is 2.50/ft. (the standard)
3/16" uncovered 7x7 wire is 1.59/ft.
5/16" Amsteel Blue is 1.89/ft
1/4" Amsteel Blue is 1.29/ft.
7mm(9/32") New England Ropes STS-WR² "wire rope" (really its dyneema sk78 with cover) is 2.11/ft but this is premium stuff since it's covered.

Let's assume no gates for simplicity. That's one turnbuckle per side plus the crimps or whatever fittings are used and those aren't that cheap. And for the synthetic all you need is a low friction ring on one side and a 6-8' length of 1/8" or smaller dyneema to tension.

We'll be switching to synthetic when we get new lifelines (which we need badly) but I believe new stanchions are needed (would need new ones if we were going to wire too).
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 23:20   #1685
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Here ya go:
1- Remove gasket
2- butter the inside of the PC and the lid
3- Mix up the bread dough. Keep it in the bowl if you're letting it rise twice, and put it in the PC for the second rising. (In cold weather, I light the pilot light in the oven to make a warm place for it rising, or keep the oven warm by adding a pan with lid of boiling water, and keep re-heating the water.)
4- Bake it with the lid on [the gasket being out, heat can escape] in the PC on lowest heat, 45 to 55 min, depending on how large a loaf you're making. Sometimes I make 6-7 c. flour recipes, sometimes 8-10 c. The larger needs a higher capacity PC.
5- When it's done (characteristic hollow sound), tip it out of the PC, and put it back in top down, to brown the top a little, it looks nicer.

Ann
Very similar to how I make it. I don't butter/oil the pan and lid and have had no problems with dough sticking. I also start the baking process with the pc on the highest setting on the smallest burner for five minutes and then turn down to the minimum setting. I've only ever made a four cup recipe in the pc (we eat too much bread otherwise) and it takes 35-40 minutes for perfection to be reached.

I have tried cooking bread under pressure. Not a success for me, stodgy and pale, not at all appetising. But I have read of success elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2017, 00:08   #1686

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The boat was launched yesterday, the 6th of December .
It was Saint Nicholas' Day, an auspicious day as Sinterklaas is not only associated with gift giving, but he is also the patron saint of sailors.

Lacking a ceremonial sabre, the top of a champagne bottle was slashed with a kitchen knife. Now I am not normally superstitious (black cats and ladders don't phase me), but to be on the safe side, a champagne offering was made to Poseidon as well . A bough was also laid on the bow to ensure the boat always returns safely to shore.

The engine purred like a kitten and ran beautifully on the trial run into the IJsselmeer. The Refleks heater kept the interior beautifully warm for celebrations afterwards. We still can't wipe the smiles off our faces .

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4592.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	160189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4587.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	160190  

Old 07-12-2017, 00:11   #1687

congrats guys!!
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 00:18   #1688
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Please accept my official CF congratulations
Well done guys, you must be so chuffed
Please watch out for PLD - post launch depression
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 00:24   #1689

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Huge congratulations, guys! Enjoy....don't crack your faces smiling.

Ann
Old 07-12-2017, 00:30   #1690

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
congrats guys!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Please accept my official CF congratulations
Well done guys, you must be so chuffed
Please watch out for PLD - post launch depression
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Huge congratulations, guys! Enjoy....don't crack your faces smiling.

Ann

Thanks so much .

It's OK Wottie. Bestevaers are guaranteed immune from PLD .
What we are in serious danger of, however, is permanent PLE - post launch elation .

SWL

Old 07-12-2017, 00:31   #1691

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

From 7 June 2015:

Quote:
We are planning a new boat. It will be a custom designed aluminium boat, which makes no economic sense, but why not
Well, what took you so long, guys?

We await reports on sailing qualities and so forth, but for now, be happy and enjoy the fruits of your patience, skills and foresight... you've earned a relaxing sail or two!

Jim
Old 07-12-2017, 00:40   #1692

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
From 7 June 2015:

Quote:
We are planning a new boat. It will be a custom designed aluminium boat, which makes no economic sense, but why not
Well, what took you so long, guys?

We await reports on sailing qualities and so forth, but for now, be happy and enjoy the fruits of your patience, skills and foresight... you've earned a relaxing sail or two!

Jim
Thanks Jim .

Plans were commissioned early 2015, but we have dreamed of this build for a little longer than that . Over three decades to be precise .

Old 07-12-2017, 00:51   #1693
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Congrats on your half boat launch....

Oh man... great job, great day and ......

Well just.. WOOHOOO!!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00   #1694

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Congrats on your half boat launch....

Oh man... great job, great day and ......

Well just.. WOOHOOO!!
Thanks Weav .

Exactly 24 hours later the grin is still permanently plastered on my face .

Old 07-12-2017, 01:06   #1695
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thanks Weav .

Exactly 24 hours later the grin is still permanently plastered on my face .
Its your home baby... Yours and Noelex. How could all of us who sail not be overjoyed at the 97% mark for you.....

The heating works... bugger the sailing characteristics.... Thats all that really matters...

Oh man.... A great day.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote