Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18   #436

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
LOL

In some ways, you better hope someone does not buy the boat soon otherwise you will be a dirt dweller for such a long time
We haven't advertised our boat seriously yet (just a post on CF). She will be on the market in May. If we sell her early we will consider renting a place near KM so we can enjoy the build process and spend some time exploring north western Europe. If not, the bikini bottoms will get a workout on board. Either is good .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:16   #437

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
We haven't advertised our boat seriously yet (just a post on CF). She will be on the market in May. If we sell her early we will consider renting a place near KM so we can enjoy the build process and spend some time exploring north western Europe. If not, the bikini bottoms will get a workout on board. Either is good .

SWL
If you end up without a boat for a while, you have plenty of friends in this part of the world you can sail with to get your sailing fix.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 22:38   #438

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A landmark day!
The welding has started on one of the watertight bulkheads.

We have three watertight bulkheads and five watertight compartments. The boat should stay afloat even if the largest two compartments are breached.

This particular bulkhead lies between the galley/saloon area and the owner's v-berth, head and shower. The opening will have a watertight door:

Old 12-03-2016, 00:08   #439

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Nice. Out of curiosity what sort of thickness is that bulkhead? Certainly has some very impressive framing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-03-2016, 00:54   #440

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Saw something interesting on the K&M site...

They have developped a "standard" Bestevaer, they call the "Pure", and which they intend to build in series:
Bestevaer 45ST PURE Nescio / KM Yachtbuilders

Bestevaer Pure – a series-built 45ft junior member of the renowned Bestevaer range – Yachting World
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:48   #441

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
A landmark day!
The welding has started on one of the watertight bulkheads.

We have three watertight bulkheads and five watertight compartments. The boat should stay afloat even if the largest two compartments are breached.

This particular bulkhead lies between the galley/saloon area and the owner's v-berth, head and shower. The opening will have a watertight door:

Congratulations!!!

Kudos again on this and many other design features -- I mean the stout bulkheads and multiple watertight compartments.

How is that bulkhead put together? Will the skins be riveted to the framing? And glued maybe?

Also, how are cables and pipes brought through the watertight bulkheads?

Will you have a separate bilge and pumps in each compartment?

Will you carry a crash pump?

I have been thinking about flooding lately so this is right on point for me.

If you had that many watertight compartments I guess you could join the separate bilges with a manifold serviced by one big pump although perhaps that would create more problems than it solves.

Since no one (or two) leaking compartments can sink you, I guess you can be more relaxed about pumping, than we can.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-03-2016, 04:01   #442
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Love the landmark day!

Of course we celebrated with a "landmark" toast... ?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:01   #443

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Nice. Out of curiosity what sort of thickness is that bulkhead? Certainly has some very impressive framing.
5 mm

Old 12-03-2016, 07:36   #444

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Congratulations!!!

Kudos again on this and many other design features -- I mean the stout bulkheads and multiple watertight compartments.

How is that bulkhead put together? Will the skins be riveted to the framing? And glued maybe?

The bulkheads are continuosly welded to the frames.

Also, how are cables and pipes brought through the watertight bulkheads?

Watertight glands.

Will you have a separate bilge and pumps in each compartment?

Yes, five of each.

Will you carry a crash pump?

Probably not, although it is an added safety measure.

I have been thinking about flooding lately so this is right on point for me.

If you had that many watertight compartments I guess you could join the separate bilges with a manifold serviced by one big pump although perhaps that would create more problems than it solves.

Since no one (or two) leaking compartments can sink you, I guess you can be more relaxed about pumping, than we can.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:02   #445

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Love the landmark day!

Of course we celebrated with a "landmark" toast... ?
Photos arrived on my adorable little goddaughter's christening day, so champagne flowed for two reasons .

SWL

Old 12-03-2016, 18:34   #446

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dockhead, I looked back over some of the early posts in this thread and found an extensive wish list you had put together. Lots of our ideas coincide with yours. I thought you may find it interesting to see what we included:
  • A longer boat than we need, with empty ends.
  • Large pilothouse.
  • Watertight compartments.
  • Standpipes.
  • Good insulation (75 mm, as we have now).
  • Ice resistance (10mm reinforcement at bow).
  • Indoor watchstanding station with good access to the cockpit.
  • Rig designed from scratch considering preventers etc.
  • Huge locker forward, lots of deck storage (via cockpit in our case).
  • Cutter rigged, so staysail is fixed. Gennaker on a removable furler.
  • A heavy dacron staysail on a heavy furler (Furlex 400, as for yankee).
  • Tender storage and solar panel mounting issues carefully considered. We have gone with an arch at the back that will incorporate davits for the dinghy and 1000 watts of solar. Not the solution you would have chosen, but then again our boat is a lot smaller than you would have, so good options are very limited.
  • Day tank with sight tube. Fuel polishing system. Fuel fill well above deck level and out of the way of green water. Tank vent out of the way of green water.
  • Technical area with workbench and access to all machinery and engine bay (unfortunately only a sit up area, but it is large)
  • The only hull penetrations in the main hull volume are on standpipes (with the design of the rudder a coffer dam is not needed in our case. Bow thruster and transducers are in the forward locker, so less need for coffer dams).
  • Good cockpit drains.
  • Transparent washboard that drops down (plus we have a second washboard with security bars and fly screen).
  • Diesel heater (although we are not installing a central heating system as you would). Our interior space is small and reasonably open plan if the watertight door to the front area is left open.
  • Beefy rudder and support structure.
  • Lots of space for electronics with perfect access. Switch panel with lots of volume behind (in our case the back of the circuit breakers will be open to the technical area, as will all displays etc in the pilothouse). One wall reserved for hanging charger/inverters etc. A good vise, room for tool boxes, bolts, nuts, shackles etc.
  • All the electrical and electronic systems designed for very well organized, easily accessible cable runs, in large conduits.
  • Life raft storage, not on the cabintop or pushpit.
  • Sink drains can go right overboard, not through a gray water tank.
  • Lots of storage space, especially for spares (mainly in dedicated bins in the huge rear storage area in our case). No need to pull up floorboards. Minimal need to pull up cushions.
  • Very sturdy cleats, at least 8 of them.
  • Sturdy hard points along the rail for rigging barber haulers, guys, preventers, etc.
  • Provision for deploying an anchor off the stern.
  • Sole plates locked down some way other than by screws (quicklock system selected).
  • Easy access to all through hulls, sea cocks, bilge pumps, etc.
  • Really big, really accessible conduits, lots of space for electrical and electronic gear lots of room for expansion.
  • Good quality, heavy duty gear wherever possible, and build in redundancy where practical.
  • Last but not least: a washing machine.

The most notable omission - no generator .

SWL

Old 13-03-2016, 08:13   #447

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Washing machine and no Gen??

Enlighten me dear Lady!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 08:36   #448
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We run our Splendide on the inverter all the time... Only use the dryer if motoring but usually just hang laundry to dry in the lifelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 12:26   #449

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dockhead, I looked back over some of the early posts in this thread and found an extensive wish list you had put together. Lots of our ideas coincide with yours. I thought you may find it interesting to see what we included:
  • A longer boat than we need, with empty ends.
  • Large pilothouse.
  • Watertight compartments.
  • Standpipes.
  • Good insulation (75 mm, as we have now).
  • Ice resistance (10mm reinforcement at bow).
  • Indoor watchstanding station with good access to the cockpit.
  • Rig designed from scratch considering preventers etc.
  • Huge locker forward, lots of deck storage (via cockpit in our case).
  • Cutter rigged, so staysail is fixed. Gennaker on a removable furler.
  • A heavy dacron staysail on a heavy furler (Furlex 400, as for yankee).
  • Tender storage and solar panel mounting issues carefully considered. We have gone with an arch at the back that will incorporate davits for the dinghy and 1000 watts of solar. Not the solution you would have chosen, but then again our boat is a lot smaller than you would have, so good options are very limited.
  • Day tank with sight tube. Fuel polishing system. Fuel fill well above deck level and out of the way of green water. Tank vent out of the way of green water.
  • Technical area with workbench and access to all machinery and engine bay (unfortunately only a sit up area, but it is large)
  • The only hull penetrations in the main hull volume are on standpipes (with the design of the rudder a coffer dam is not needed in our case. Bow thruster and transducers are in the forward locker, so less need for coffer dams).
  • Good cockpit drains.
  • Transparent washboard that drops down (plus we have a second washboard with security bars and fly screen).
  • Diesel heater (although we are not installing a central heating system as you would). Our interior space is small and reasonably open plan if the watertight door to the front area is left open.
  • Beefy rudder and support structure.
  • Lots of space for electronics with perfect access. Switch panel with lots of volume behind (in our case the back of the circuit breakers will be open to the technical area, as will all displays etc in the pilothouse). One wall reserved for hanging charger/inverters etc. A good vise, room for tool boxes, bolts, nuts, shackles etc.
  • All the electrical and electronic systems designed for very well organized, easily accessible cable runs, in large conduits.
  • Life raft storage, not on the cabintop or pushpit.
  • Sink drains can go right overboard, not through a gray water tank.
  • Lots of storage space, especially for spares (mainly in dedicated bins in the huge rear storage area in our case). No need to pull up floorboards. Minimal need to pull up cushions.
  • Very sturdy cleats, at least 8 of them.
  • Sturdy hard points along the rail for rigging barber haulers, guys, preventers, etc.
  • Provision for deploying an anchor off the stern.
  • Sole plates locked down some way other than by screws (quicklock system selected).
  • Easy access to all through hulls, sea cocks, bilge pumps, etc.
  • Really big, really accessible conduits, lots of space for electrical and electronic gear lots of room for expansion.
  • Good quality, heavy duty gear wherever possible, and build in redundancy where practical.
  • Last but not least: a washing machine.

The most notable omission - no generator .

SWL
Great minds think alike

I was greatly influenced by your build, and my ideal boat, which I've been designing for some time now, is now metal like yours and not plastic.

Main difference between our boats is that yours is being built, and mine is still a pipe dream
Walt Whitman
Old 13-03-2016, 12:27   #450

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
We run our Splendide on the inverter all the time... Only use the dryer if motoring but usually just hang laundry to dry in the lifelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With a heavy duty alternator, this is no problem. I use mine off the inverter all the time.

Also don't forget shore power.
Walt Whitman