Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 05:12   #496

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
A microwave with convection oven would complement this well.

SWL
Definitely

The built in microwave on the present boat is used far more than the stove or oven already.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:38   #497

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
I did a huge amount of research before picking the Candy Aqua 1000 about a year ago .

The dimensions of your model are near identical to the 1000 and the 14% increase in capacity is appealing. I have just looked up the Candy website in the UK and the 1040 is not listed. All specs for it are in Russian. Where are you purchasing it from?

SWL
Yep, I did quite a research as well, before settling down on this one. I am very much limited by space, and while there are literally thousands of different models available, only this Candy clicked in terms of size. 4 kg load was a pleasant addition. So, it was a no-brainer. But this thing is heavy!!!

I bought it in Russia (I am Russian). Will drive to Italy and bring a whole bunch of stuff with me for a boat.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:48   #498
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I use mine underway all the time. Why do you think you can't?

Should be reasonably calm weather and no heel. But motoring in a calm is a perfect time to do laundry -- power it all from the alternator.

There simply are no calms with flat water that you motor through in the Carib. Been in English waters a couple of times, never saw a calm there either...

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 05:58   #499

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There simply are no calms with flat water that you motor through in the Carib. Been in English waters a couple of times, never saw a calm there either...
Ah, I see.

We have a lot of wind up here, but it's not trade winds. We have even dead calms and plenty of days with <5 knots of wind. It's typical when there's a high pressure dome. Out of probably 60 or 70 English Channel crossings I've done, maybe 4 or 5 have been in dead calms, motoring. I love to sail, but calm still sunny weather is pleasant for a change; I like motoring in it..

So there are plenty of chances to do your laundry underway
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2016, 06:27   #500

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

From a convenience/time perspective, why does everyone want a washing machine aboard vs a dishwasher? Dishes need to be washed everyday... typically multiple times a day or you've got a sink full and nothing to eat on. Yet, it's pretty easy to have enough clothes, sheets, etc. aboard for a months time. I've yet to be in a populated area where you're wearing nice clean clothes that there wasn't a laundromat. If you add up the time spent over the sink washing stuff all month long, it's a heck of a lot more than laundry duty.

The newer small dishwasher use very little water and power in non-pot scrubbing mode. If I had the space in our galley for one, a dish washer would be at the top of my list... and I don't typically wash dishes aboard.

Matt
Old 18-03-2016, 10:48   #501

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
From a convenience/time perspective, why does everyone want a washing machine aboard vs a dishwasher? Dishes need to be washed everyday... typically multiple times a day or you've got a sink full and nothing to eat on. Yet, it's pretty easy to have enough clothes, sheets, etc. aboard for a months time. I've yet to be in a populated area where you're wearing nice clean clothes that there wasn't a laundromat. If you add up the time spent over the sink washing stuff all month long, it's a heck of a lot more than laundry duty.

The newer small dishwasher use very little water and power in non-pot scrubbing mode. If I had the space in our galley for one, a dish washer would be at the top of my list... and I don't typically wash dishes aboard.

Matt
I agree. Washing dishes by hand is not really a problem, but takes time and uses a ton of water. Dishwasher much more efficient and much more hygienic. Definitely have one on the next boat.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman
Old 18-03-2016, 12:31   #502

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

More photos of the progress have arrived. We just love the updates received from KM . This is a huge part of the joy of having a custom boat built and KM are coming up trumps.

Anyway, maybe after reading all the washing discussions, one of the items they welded up this week was the laundry tub . That and another bulkhead- the front one. This waterproof bulkhead will separate the huge front locker (3 metres long) from the owners' cabin with its massive island bed. Our backs will be propped up against the bulkhead in the photo every morning while having the first coffee for the day and doing a little reading etc before getting up. Lovely to envisage . it will be insulated with 75 mm foam and timber lined.

The laundry tubs will be anodised. There will be a hinged seat over the top of these across the full width:

The front bulkhead at frame number 4 between the owners' cabin and front locker. The chain storage will be just on the front side of this bulkhead, 3m from the bow:

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:31   #503

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This week's photo update:

The chain storage box has been welded on the front of the watertight bulkhead at Frame 4. Steps have been welded on the side of the box to enable easy access to the huge front locker. This box sits 3m from the bow, bringing the weight back substantially:

The watertight engine bay is shown below. This will have access from 4 sides (including via a large hinged hatch in the technical room/workshop) and will be located under the pilothouse floor. Engine removal will be possible from the pilothouse, and we have specified a loop to be welded to the pilot house ceiling to act as a lifting point.

Start of rib construction:

Old 24-03-2016, 16:47   #504

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ann: Seaworthy Lass's boat's developing right before our eyes!

Jim: They sure do nice construction!

SL & Noelex, you must just be having the time of your lives, good on you!

Ann
Old 24-03-2016, 17:14   #505

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ann: Seaworthy Lass's boat's developing right before our eyes!

Jim: They sure do nice construction!

SL & Noelex, you must just be having the time of your lives, good on you!

Ann
Hi Ann and Jim
It is so exciting finding emails arriving with photos .

Wish we were there to see this in person, but photos are the next best thing.

SWL

Old 24-03-2016, 18:05   #506

The clothes washer and dryer discussion was a good one. It got me thinking which is dangerous...

To state the obvious, clothes dryers have a drum to move the clothes around to dry. This allows a minimum of space to dry a maximum amount of clothes. However, the newer front loading washers do a pretty good job of ringing the water out of the clothes during the spin cycle....

I wonder if an insulated box that was heated by the engine coolant or radiant heat from a diesel stove could be used to dry clothes. If the box was that was tall enough to hang trousers and shirts, one could also hang other articles such that fans could move around the air and dry the clothes. I don't think one could dry many articles at one time but if the energy to dry the clothes is free or cheap enough do you care?

A few years ago, I took a class about solar power generation for houses. This was before the huge drop in PV prices. One of our side conversations was if it was better to heat water with a solar hot water heater or a conventional hot water heater powered by PV. For some reason, solar water heaters have become very expensive in my area and one could by quite a few solar panels for the same price. At the time, it seemed that PV might be cheaper and simpler than a solar hot water heater. Having enough PV panels on a boat would be an issue if one needed lots of watts to run the dryer.

A quick search says that US clothes dryers use between 1,800 to 5,000 watts with 3,000 being typical. More searching led me to an appliance called a Drying Closet that appears to be used in Europe though I did find one brand that is sold in the US that uses 1,800 watts. It is about 5'x4'x2'. The 4 foot size would be hard to find on a boat but 5 or 6 feet tall and 2' by 2' would be possible on some boats. 6x2x2 might only need about half the wattage..

Never heard of a Drying Closet but a bit of reading says it takes the same energy to dry the same amount of clothes as a "regular" washer. So if one needs an hour for a 3,000 watt dryer to dry a load of clothes, a 1,500 watt dryer would need two hours. Not sure how accurate this is but it makes sense.

It seems like a Drying Closet might work with a variety of heat sources. Interesting idea. Anyone use a Drying Closet?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 00:44   #507
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The clothes washer and dryer discussion was a good one. It got me thinking which is dangerous...

[...]

It seems like a Drying Closet might work with a variety of heat sources. Interesting idea. Anyone use a Drying Closet?
If a small closet, laundry will not dry because of no air flow (unless used for a single T-shirt at a time ). If large - seems a possible waste of space.

We have a heated wet locker - everything we hang there dries very fast. By design, this space is also a shower and a head, so the volume is used efficiently. Heating comes from two sources: one is hot air from Webasto unit, another is heat radiated from the engine bay. Works good.

SL:
Quote:
Engine removal will be possible from the pilothouse, and we have specified a loop to be welded to the pilot house ceiling to act as a lifting point.
Hope there is enough clearance so injuring your head against it will not be an everyday possibility?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 04:22   #508
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Can't explain how fun it is watching this build.... Awesome pics and descriptors SWL

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 04:24   #509

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post

Quote:
Engine removal will be possible from the pilothouse, and we have specified a loop to be welded to the pilot house ceiling to act as a lifting point.
Hope there is enough clearance so injuring your head against it will not be an everyday possibility?

Being 7" shorter than my husband, not for me it's not .

SWL

Old 25-03-2016, 04:41   #510
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Being 7" shorter than my husband, not for me it's not .

SWL
The mystery of elevated intelligence has been explained... Never had the horizontal spar whack ya huh???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote